Skates and Plates

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Skates and Plates

Postby Shakes on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 am

penny lane wrote:http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658755&navid=DL|PIT|home

That’s because the rookie forward, participating in his first-ever Skates & Plates event, was pranked by his older, wiser teammates. They told him to bring his hockey skates to the arena, as the name "Skates & Plates" meant he would be serving the tables while gliding around on the ice.

When we asked Bennett about it, he said he actually wouldn’t call it a prank “as I really thought we were going to be skating and serving the food to all the fans.”

Continued Bennett, laughing, “I thought they were going to bring our skates over and we were going to be skating on little aisles in between all the tables. So I was trying to get in the right mental state to do that tonight.”

:P :lol:

That is tremendous.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I would feel uncomfortable going to this.

A lot of things fans do would make me feel weird. I mostly get weirded out by asking someone five years younger than you to sign your napkin so you can have an autograph. Pictures are less problematic. Jerseys are acceptable. But this just seems like an exclusive charity event. I would go quite willingly.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am

TheHammer24 wrote:

A lot of things fans do would make me feel weird. I mostly get weirded out by asking someone five years younger than you to sign your napkin so you can have an autograph. Pictures are less problematic. Jerseys are acceptable. But this just seems like an exclusive charity event. I would go quite willingly.

I'm actually starting to feel weird wearing jerseys. I started feeling weird about autographs when I was 10. I think it would be cooler if they were just at a table for dinner with you. Actually I think it would be cooler if you went on a bar crawl with them. :pop:
I think I would go to this, I'd just feel weird about it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:41 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

I'm actually starting to feel weird wearing jerseys. I started feeling weird about autographs when I was 10. I think it would be cooler if they were just at a table for dinner with you. Actually I think it would be cooler if you went on a bar crawl with them. :pop:

thats what ended up happening, Neal just grabbed a chair and sat down between my wife and sister and would occasionally refill the wine, it was way less awkward.
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:42 am

Thats pretty cool.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 am

Neal seems like a total cool guy.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 am

beau has a little morozov look in him!
How nice for you and family. Hey, I wouldn't be shy(am always :P ) about getting a photo with Evgeni.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Same page. I feel like I'm outgrowing jerseys, though it pains me to come to this realization. The only Penguins I've seen in public was Michel Therrien (at PF Changs, of all places). I simply said "Hi. We are big fans." he responded "thanks" and that was that.

I think the only way I would feel comfortable is, if like you said, I was drinking with them (and not stalker-ishly creeping in the background).
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 am

Man, that's awesome
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 am

To add, shiphockey, are you James Spader's son?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:35 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:To add, shiphockey, are you James Spader's son?

haha I am not.
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ShipHockey7 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:33 am

some more pictures if anyone cares, dont gawk over my too hot for me wife

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:48 am

I've been wondering if there was an age limit on hockey sweater wearing outside of one's home. I feel a little odd about wearing one out, especially when almost no one here is a hockey fan. :lol:

My brother in law, who is three years older than I am, has no issue wearing his Steelers jerseys out and about.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:15 am

I have never worn won unless I was going to the game. I don't understand people just wearing jerseys "around".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby suzinpgh on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:31 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I've been wondering if there was an age limit on hockey sweater wearing outside of one's home. I feel a little odd about wearing one out, especially when almost no one here is a hockey fan. :lol:

My brother in law, who is three years older than I am, has no issue wearing his Steelers jerseys out and about.

Since you are wondering, I'll give you my opinion, from a female perspective:

That age would be about 14. No adult male (or female, for that matter) should wear a numbered athletic jersey in public beyond that age, because you look like a *****bag. A polo shirt with a small team logo, okay, but the jerseys/sweaters, no. Pittsburgh has a reputation for having a large population of men with no sense of fashion or style, and the jersey-wearers add to that rep and make them an easy target for ridicule.

JMHO. Opposing views welcomed.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I have never worn won unless I was going to the game. I don't understand people just wearing jerseys "around".

I don't get that either. But then, in Pittsburgh, wearing team colors is an every day fashion statement.

Other than baseball (in the generic style sense) caps with team logos, I really don't see this in other cities.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 am

I've look at the pics for this online. Everyone looks really nice in the white tie/tails. Except TK.

I'm sorry, that boy is just ugly. I know that's mean to say, but it's so true.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby raewhit on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 am

suzinpgh wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I've been wondering if there was an age limit on hockey sweater wearing outside of one's home. I feel a little odd about wearing one out, especially when almost no one here is a hockey fan. :lol:

Since you are wondering, I'll give you my opinion, from a female perspective:

That age would be about 14. No adult male (or female, for that matter) should wear a numbered athletic jersey in public beyond that age, because you look like a *****bag. A polo shirt with a small team logo, okay, but the jerseys/sweaters, no. Pittsburgh has a reputation for having a large population of men with no sense of fashion or style, and the jersey-wearers add to that rep and make them an easy target for ridicule.

JMHO. Opposing views welcomed.

Female perspective also- Jersey wearing is appropriate at a hockey game or at a bar/friends house while watching the game. I love when fans "rep" their team at games. Drives me nuts when almost everyone (esp during play-off games) has on Penguin garb(jersey, tshirt, hat) but you will see 10-15 people too cool to wear the colors.
raewhit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins