UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Postby pcm on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Last year, our defense was indeed a problem. M&M were awful. Our bottom pairing played < 10 minutes. The pressure on Letang and Orpik was too much. So they struggled too.

This year, our defense looks just fine to me. Not too many teams can field a better group. If we sat back and played a patient game, as we did for a while after the loss to the Isle's earlier this season, then we're a top defensive team. The key is controlling the tempo and flow of the game. However, the number 1 problem continues to be the lack of discipline and focus to accomplish this.

As far as adding personnel goes, why would we add a bottom 6 forward when we've got a hole (if not 2) in the top 6? That's where the opening on this team is. And anyways, adding a veteran for their leadership and playing them on the 4th line is not going to accomplish much. Who looks up to the 4th liners? Boychuk? Even if that guy is Gary Roberts, if a player is going to have an impact on the team he needs to be out there on the ice, making an impact on the game with his presence on the ice.

That's why you look at Iginla. He adds all that plus he can score. IF there's an opportunity to add that kind of player to a contender, you do it. But even still, I think Morrow is better cost/value.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't buy it. They had better forward depth last spring with Staal and even Sullivan still around and all of these issues still existed. The last thing they need is to add more offense to make this more of an offensively focused team. They need guys with character who play smart and responsible hockey. For better or worse, they're not changing coaches or changing their playing style. The only hope is to bring in some guys who can help settle down the way the team plays. A few smart additions to the 3rd/4th lines and D would make a far bigger impact than a dream addition of a big name scorer. That'd be a Washington Capitals move, which, well, would be appropriate unfortunately.

They don't need another big time scorer for top six, but they could use another Kunitz-type player. Doesn't need to be a 20 goal scorer but has to be someone who can get in on the forecheck, throw the body around, and if you pass him the puck he doesn't treat it like a grenade. Somebody like Jamie McGinn of the Avs comes to mind. Another 3rd liner with less hands but who play the cycle game would also be helpful. I don't see them adding on defense, because the cost for the type of guy who would help is usually prohibitive at the trade deadline.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Leadership and a couple more defensive minded players is what this team needs at the deadline more than anything.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby saints11 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 pm

pcm wrote:I would love Iginla, and the chatter from guys like Lebrun is starting to talk it up. Iginla's price would be one of our top d prospects and a 1st. If that's Pouliout, Maatta, or Doumoulin, then yes. Despres, Harrington, or Morrow and I'd have to really see where this team is at and if adding Iginla makes them a favorite.

I think Morrow would be better value. We could get him for at most a 2nd, or Kennedy or such. He's the same age as Kunitz. This team doesn't need speed. It needs presence. And Morrow brings that in loads, even as his game slows down.

Adding a top 6 winger also bumps Dupuis down to the 3rd line, improving our bottom 6 significantly.

I'd love to get Iginla. He solves a lot of problems on this team from leadership, toughness, and I even think he's help with the inconsistent problem.

Despres gets moved before Pouliot or Domoulin. Especially to Calgary, I think Pouliot was and is on their radar. Iginla is with the Flames as long as he wants. I think if he was to go to Feaster and asked out and said he wanted to go to say, the Pens, I think a deal could get done. I think in this case, Sid could be the plus, as well as the teams potential. However, I'm not sure Iggy asks out.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 pm

saints11 wrote:
pcm wrote:I would love Iginla, and the chatter from guys like Lebrun is starting to talk it up. Iginla's price would be one of our top d prospects and a 1st. If that's Pouliout, Maatta, or Doumoulin, then yes. Despres, Harrington, or Morrow and I'd have to really see where this team is at and if adding Iginla makes them a favorite.

I think Morrow would be better value. We could get him for at most a 2nd, or Kennedy or such. He's the same age as Kunitz. This team doesn't need speed. It needs presence. And Morrow brings that in loads, even as his game slows down.

Adding a top 6 winger also bumps Dupuis down to the 3rd line, improving our bottom 6 significantly.

I'd love to get Iginla. He solves a lot of problems on this team from leadership, toughness, and I even think he's help with the inconsistent problem.

Despres gets moved before Pouliot or Domoulin. Especially to Calgary, I think Pouliot was and is on their radar. Iginla is with the Flames as long as he wants. I think if he was to go to Feaster and asked out and said he wanted to go to say, the Pens, I think a deal could get done. I think in this case, Sid could be the plus, as well as the teams potential. However, I'm not sure Iggy asks out.

Iginla is a pipe dream. The Flames as always will stay close to the playoff hunt, will not be a seller, and of course will end up missing the playoffs again.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:36 pm

Robert Bortuzzo has the skill set to be the physical defenseman talked about in this thread. He needs to be playing now so by playoff time he's got a good handle on the NHL game. That won't happen if he only plays half the time.

I do think the top 6 forward isn't as big a need and I'm not as high on Iginla as others are. The big name UFA forward to watch is Corey Perry. I still doubt ANA makes him available, but rumors are out there that they do not want to risk losing him for nothing. If he is available, you have to consider it. He's a top flight winger and he also helps to address making this team tougher to play against.

Up front, being tougher to play against is the biggest area of concern for me. Replacing TK with a guy like Clutterbuck would help there, but again, no idea why MIN would be looking to move him.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:17 pm

netwolf wrote:Robert Bortuzzo has the skill set to be the physical defenseman talked about in this thread. He needs to be playing now so by playoff time he's got a good handle on the NHL game. That won't happen if he only plays half the time.

I do think the top 6 forward isn't as big a need and I'm not as high on Iginla as others are. The big name UFA forward to watch is Corey Perry. I still doubt ANA makes him available, but rumors are out there that they do not want to risk losing him for nothing. If he is available, you have to consider it. He's a top flight winger and he also helps to address making this team tougher to play against.

Up front, being tougher to play against is the biggest area of concern for me. Replacing TK with a guy like Clutterbuck would help there, but again, no idea why MIN would be looking to move him.

Alternate route, Raffi Torres?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Anyone off the Capitals roster? I think they are going to start moving people soon. After tonight's game, they should move the whole team.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Anyone off the Capitals roster? I think they are going to start moving people soon. After tonight's game, they should move the whole team.

I still want the Pens to get Chimera
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby saints11 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 pm

Torres is just another guy to go to the box. I realize that Iggy might be a pipe dream, but he has to be thinking that he'd like a shot at the cup. You have to believe Feaster will move him if he asks. You have to believe that if he is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, that going out playing with Sid isn't too bad. I have not doubt that if we get a top 6; that part of the deal will include Kennedy going the other way if only for cap reasons. If that is the case, then Duper goes to the third line, which makes us very solid 1 thru 9. Then, we have DJ as the reserve forward and Engelland and Eaton as extra D, depending on who is moved for Iggy. Maybe Calgary would want Bortuzzo, Pouliot, and a pick for Iggy; we make them take TK and they throw in a body or ship TK off to Minny with a lower pick for PMB.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:38 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Anyone off the Capitals roster? I think they are going to start moving people soon. After tonight's game, they should move the whole team.

Cheap replacement for TK. Sign me up.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

Cheap replacement for TK. Sign me up.

:thumb:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 pm

SolidSnake wrote:

Laich or bust then Brouwer or bust then Chimera or bust
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

Laich or bust then Brouwer or bust then Chimera or bust

Laich, Backstrom, Erskine, Carlson, and Holtby won't be moved. Laich is their future captain.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

saints11 wrote:Torres is just another guy to go to the box. I realize that Iggy might be a pipe dream, but he has to be thinking that he'd like a shot at the cup. You have to believe Feaster will move him if he asks. You have to believe that if he is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, that going out playing with Sid isn't too bad. I have not doubt that if we get a top 6; that part of the deal will include Kennedy going the other way if only for cap reasons. If that is the case, then Duper goes to the third line, which makes us very solid 1 thru 9. Then, we have DJ as the reserve forward and Engelland and Eaton as extra D, depending on who is moved for Iggy. Maybe Calgary would want Bortuzzo, Pouliot, and a pick for Iggy; we make them take TK and they throw in a body or ship TK off to Minny with a lower pick for PMB.

I really think Iggy is a pipe dream.

Clowe, MacArthur, Penner would be affordable for top 6

Torres, Belanger, Nystrom, Fiddler would upgrade the bottom 6 and the 3 after Torres are part of the top 20ish PKers in the league right now.

All those guys should come much cheaper than the super expensive declining option of Iggy.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
saints11 wrote:Torres is just another guy to go to the box. I realize that Iggy might be a pipe dream, but he has to be thinking that he'd like a shot at the cup. You have to believe Feaster will move him if he asks. You have to believe that if he is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, that going out playing with Sid isn't too bad. I have not doubt that if we get a top 6; that part of the deal will include Kennedy going the other way if only for cap reasons. If that is the case, then Duper goes to the third line, which makes us very solid 1 thru 9. Then, we have DJ as the reserve forward and Engelland and Eaton as extra D, depending on who is moved for Iggy. Maybe Calgary would want Bortuzzo, Pouliot, and a pick for Iggy; we make them take TK and they throw in a body or ship TK off to Minny with a lower pick for PMB.

I really think Iggy is a pipe dream.

Clowe, MacArthur, Penner would be affordable for top 6

Torres, Belanger, Nystrom, Fiddler would upgrade the bottom 6 and the 3 after Torres are part of the top 20ish PKers in the league right now.

All those guys should come much cheaper than the super expensive declining option of Iggy.

I'm still on board for MacArthur and Hainsey. However, they are going to need another guy for the bottom 6 but a draft pick should get that.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 am

I get that an Iginla is going to be expensive and some people are hesitant about giving up a top D prospect, but we have so many of them, it's going to be a waste if we DON'T part with some of them in trades. Obviously giving up Despres, Morrow, or Harrington isn't ideal but there's no way all of Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Pouliot, and Maata are all going to contribute to this hockey franchise; Despres is the one I'm most hesitant to part with obviously but if an Iginla deal is one of those other guys, a first, and Kennedy I'm making that deal 10 times out of 10. I don't see why giving up a first is all that bad either, I mean nobody wants to give up their first rounder but for a forward of Iginla's caliber, I'll take the proven top line forward over a late first round pick any day.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:18 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:I get that an Iginla is going to be expensive and some people are hesitant about giving up a top D prospect, but we have so many of them, it's going to be a waste if we DON'T part with some of them in trades. Obviously giving up Despres, Morrow, or Harrington isn't ideal but there's no way all of Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Pouliot, and Maata are all going to contribute to this hockey franchise; Despres is the one I'm most hesitant to part with obviously but if an Iginla deal is one of those other guys, a first, and Kennedy I'm making that deal 10 times out of 10. I don't see why giving up a first is all that bad either, I mean nobody wants to give up their first rounder but for a forward of Iginla's caliber, I'll take the proven top line forward over a late first round pick any day.

If the price for Iginla was an NHL 3rd liner, a rookie that hasn't proved anything, and a pick every single team in the league would be on the phone. For Iginla you're looking at a young top 6 guy, another NHL guy, a prospect and a pick most likely. additionally if they're in a playoff spot he's not getting moved.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saints11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 am

Rumor has it from various sites, that the price is a young PMD and a 1st. Keep in mind the deal is driven by Iginla because of his NTC. He will go where he would like to go and I think Feaster will accommodate him. That being said, a package of an Stay at home young, NHL ready roster Defensive D-man, Last years #1, considered the best PMD in the draft, a 3rd liner who has had a 20 goal season, and potentially another #1 is a very good package for a 35 year old UFA; who could easily return after the season. Could other teams beat that, I'm sure; but will Iginla go there? I think, as many experts have speculated, he will come here.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:36 am

Do you want to translate that into English? :)
Are you talking Bortuzzo, Pouliot, Kennedy and a #1 for Iginla?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby saints11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:44 am

yes for Iginla and a 5th. Kennedy goes basically as a salary dump. The initial idea was a #2, that becomes a #1 if we reach the Finals.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 am

I'd consider Pouliot, Jeffrey and a conditional 1st for Iginla (1st if we win the Cup, 2nd if we don't). If that doesn't do it...well...I'd like to hear what more it would take...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 am

mikey287 wrote:I'd consider Pouliot, Jeffrey and a conditional 1st for Iginla (1st if we win the Cup, 2nd if we don't). If that doesn't do it...well...I'd like to hear what more it would take...

I'd make that deal in Calgary minute, if I were RS.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 am

Yeah, maybe it's a little weak. But I'm unsure of the competition we're really going against because Iginla can pick where he wants to go. For all we know, he pulls a Tkachuk* and leaves for a shot at something and then returns home the next season...

*- not that Tkachuk had much of a chance at anything where he went...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 am

So you mean a Recchi. ;)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins