UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UFA targets at the Trade Deadline?

Postby knives of ice on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 am

any big name ufa pickup is going to require a decent roster player, a top prospect, and a first round draft pick - minimum.

thinking anything less is completely unrealistic with what has been the going rate in the past.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:22 am

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, maybe it's a little weak. But I'm unsure of the competition we're really going against because Iginla can pick where he wants to go. For all we know, he pulls a Tkachuk* and leaves for a shot at something and then returns home the next season...

*- not that Tkachuk had much of a chance at anything where he went...

Will Iginla get really fat in the offseason?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 am

The "Iggy!" Heard Around the World
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:00 am

knives of ice wrote:any big name ufa pickup is going to require a decent roster player, a top prospect, and a first round draft pick - minimum.

thinking anything less is completely unrealistic with what has been the going rate in the past.

Meh...there's really no great way to drop a blanket over trade values unfortunately...
---

Deadline deals for pending UFAs:

Dennis Wideman for Jake Hausvirth (fringe AHLer) and a 3rd.
Eric Brewer for a 3rd and Brock Beukeboom (low-level prospect)
Dennis Seidenberg and Matt Bartkowski (Engelland-ish, but younger) for Byron Bitz, Craig Weller and a 2nd

Sure, they aren't on the level of Iginla or Kovalchuk (two future HHOFers) but these values are far different than a roster player, top prospect and a 1st...even Kovy only netted a guy that wasn't fulfilling his new contract extension (Oduya), a fringe roster player (Bergfors), a mid-level prospect (Cormier) and a 1st. And the Devils moved up in the 2nd round in the deal, and also got back a fringe d-man in the process. And Kovy had/has more of a future than Iginla and didn't have a NTC I don't believe, so he couldn't limit the market value by picking and choosing.

If Iginla says, "well, there's 10 teams..." well then sure, you got a bidding war...if he goes, "Boston or Pittsburgh" then you get whatever Boston and Pittsburgh say you get basically. That's just a matter of Boston's forward prospects vs. our defensive prospects really.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 am

If Penner ever came to the Pens, then Pamela's Diner is off limits.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 am

Good news: Of the top 16 teams in the league right now Pittsburgh has the highest GF.
Bad news: Of the top 16 teams in the league right now Pittsburgh has the 3rd worst GA.

Does that sound like a recipe for success in the playoffs? Remember how much we all laughed at Washington? Without playing team defence it won't matter if we get Perry, Iginla or genetically engineer a Mario "score a million goals" Gretzky clone to play on Geno's wing...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
netwolf wrote:Robert Bortuzzo has the skill set to be the physical defenseman talked about in this thread. He needs to be playing now so by playoff time he's got a good handle on the NHL game. That won't happen if he only plays half the time.

I do think the top 6 forward isn't as big a need and I'm not as high on Iginla as others are. The big name UFA forward to watch is Corey Perry. I still doubt ANA makes him available, but rumors are out there that they do not want to risk losing him for nothing. If he is available, you have to consider it. He's a top flight winger and he also helps to address making this team tougher to play against.

Up front, being tougher to play against is the biggest area of concern for me. Replacing TK with a guy like Clutterbuck would help there, but again, no idea why MIN would be looking to move him.

Alternate route, Raffi Torres?

In a vacuum, probably, but I haven't watched enough of PHX to know if he's reformed his game to take out the cheap stuff while still being effective. Plus, I've just really come to hate that team, so I have an irrational desire to want no part of anyone from that club coming here, whether they could help or not.

He's a different kind of player obviously, but if Tomas Kopecky would play like he has against us this year, he'd be worth a look. He's been all over the Penguin goal crease.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:07 am

i like kopecky. everyone on the ice seems to hate him. that's a good thing in the playoffs. but that contract isn't something we can deal with. 3 mill/yr until 15/16? next...
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:14 am

shmenguin wrote:i like kopecky. everyone on the ice seems to hate him. that's a good thing in the playoffs. but that contract isn't something we can deal with. 3 mill/yr until 15/16? next...

Kopecky is basically an upgraded version of Jeffrey. A little bigger, a little faster, a little for skilled, and a little more physical. They each can play all three forward positions on any line in a pinch.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:36 am

There's a few guys I'd like from the Caps roster. Brouwer, Chimera, and Fehr are exactly the types of players I think would be perfect alongside Geno/Neal.
I'd still prefer to move Kunitz back with them and put whoever with Sid and Dupuis (who had earned his spot, IMO).

If love to get a stay at home defensive vet as well. Like a Scuderi-type player that's a little more physical. Skating ability not necessarily required, but not Hal Gill.

Whether in a hockey trade or salary dump, TK needs to go. I think Bennett, Boychuk, or Jeffrey can more than adequately fill that role on the 3rd line.

I like the glass-vitale-Adams 4th line, but wouldn't mind seeing a more aggressive pker there.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:38 am

people are still on the boychuk train...how bout that
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 am

shmenguin wrote:people are still on the boychuk train...how bout that

Well, every team needs to have a scratch player.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:41 am

Id also love to see Jamie McGinn in a Pens jersey
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am

I'm not sure why Boychuk is even on the roster.
It's unlikely that they view him as a viable injury plugin.
What's the point of keeping him around until Geno returns?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 am

Iginla,Stafford,Glencross,Clowe for top 2 lines
Chimera,Torres,Nystrom for bottom lines
on D we need veteran physical player..
as deadline additions..

Iginla - very hard to get him.. I would try with Kennedy,Maata/Pouillot and 1nd rounder.. nothing more!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 am

columbia wrote:I'm not sure why Boychuk is even on the roster.

He played 8 games for the Pens. 8. Are you telling me in those 8 games, his play was terrible enough to not be an adequate replacement for TK, who has been terrible? If so, that's a bunch of malarkey.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am

npv708 wrote:

He played 8 games for the Pens. 8. Are you telling me in those 8 games, his play was terrible enough to not be an adequate replacement for TK, who has been terrible? If so, that's a bunch of malarkey.

I agree with everything about this. The Penguins are in no shape to be throwing away decent young forward talent (even if they are projects). They should be holding on to guys like Boychuk for dear life, because after Bennett the cupboard is bone dry.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am

Pens4Life wrote:Iginla,Stafford,Glencross,Clowe for top 2 lines
Chimera,Torres,Nystrom for bottom lines
on D we need veteran physical player..
as deadline additions..

Iginla - very hard to get him.. I would try with Kennedy,Maata/Pouillot and 1nd rounder.. nothing more!

Clowe is not going anywhere, even though he's an ufa.

Torres is the last player this team needs. He's dirtier than Cooke at his worst, takes ridiculously stupid retaliatory penalties all the time, and now has a reputation with refs similar to Cooke. Not to mention, he doesn't really bring much offensively.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 pm

I think an amazing addition to our 3rd line would be Steve Ott. Highly doubt Buffalo is looking to move him though. But a line of Cooke-Sutter-Ott would be unreal
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:I think an amazing addition to our 3rd line would be Steve Ott. Highly doubt Buffalo is looking to move him though. But a line of Cooke-Sutter-Ott would be unreal

:thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 pm

npv708 wrote:

Please point to where I even implied that.
I just don't think that they plan to play him again and hence my question as to why he is on the roster.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 pm

I do think that Shero should aquire a player that would help this team on longer terms,not looking just at UFA -to be players.
Players with contracts such as Stafford,Glencross and soo on.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:10 pm

columbia wrote:
npv708 wrote:

I just don't think that they plan to play him again and hence my question as to why he is on the roster.

With the way TK has been playing so far plus his current salary, I expect Boychuk to potentially be his cheap replacement next year. The reason he is on the roster is so he doesn't get claimed.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Trip McNeely on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I do think that Shero should aquire a player that would help this team on longer terms,not looking just at UFA -to be players.
Players with contracts such as Stafford,Glencross and soo on.

Drew Stafford and Steve Ott for Kennedy, 1st rounder, Maata, and Kuehnackl 8-)

Edit: TBH, I have no idea what Stafford's value is right now. Signed through 14-15 at 4 mil per, but with only ONE goal this year after 20 last year and 31 the year before
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
columbia wrote:
npv708 wrote:

With the way TK has been playing so far plus his current salary, I expect Boychuk to potentially be his cheap replacement next year. The reason he is on the roster is so he doesn't get claimed.

The only way he is on the roster after Malkin returns is if they make a trade and free up a roster spot.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins