Game 21 vs Canes - Thoughts from the morning after

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 21 vs Canes - Thoughts from the morning after

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:04 am

Henry Hank wrote:I think the issue is that all you hear from Crosby and the other players is talk. They always seem to say the right things and acknowledge what the problem is, but they never do the things they need to do to fix it. In this case, I'd rather see Crosby setting the example rather than just repeating the same thing about how they're getting outworked.

unlike last year, we're facing personnel problems. i agree that there's an attitude issue with this team (particularly in the flyers scenario), but even if you add a tight, disciplined system, you're left with defensemen who don't have the brains to kill penalties and a shallow talent pool of forwards. if sid's line starts setting the ultimate example of responsible play, no one's going to score on this team unless we're relying on the other team losing their cool with penalties. it all makes last year's debacle even more upsetting. that was just such an incredible roster - completely wasted.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 am

Closed door meeting time?

'cause those are ALWAYS effective. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:06 am

I think I am officially jumping on the FIRE DAN BYLSMA train after last night.

-It's one thing to go on a losing streak or lose 3 out of 5 by being outplayed or having bounces go the other way, but this team didn't look like it showed up against Florida (at least until mid-way through the game when it was too late) or Carolina. Even in a few of their wins, they jump out to a 2-3 goal lead and seem like they just stop. Sure, it falls on the players too, but it's up to Bylsma to get them to buy in, show up and play hard. If they aren't put guys in the press box for a game so they get the picture.

-I'm still puzzled by the continual benching of Simon Despres. The ONLY thing I can think of is that Bortuzzo is actually being shopped and they need to get him in some games. I've heard Despres named tossed around that he "can be had" for the right price. Hard for anyone to want a guy you continually bench. Doesn't seem warranted either. He's a rookie, supposed to be one of your top D-men in the system. They need to let him play, make his mistakes, and learn from them, and move on. Bylsma seems to have him on a very short leash.

-Too many teams have figured out how to beat the Pens system, and Bylsma is horrible at adjusting, if he bothers to adjust at all. It's becoming more common, especially on some of the nationally televised games, that Bylsma often gets out-coached, doesn't make adjustments, fails to get the right match-ups on home ice, etc.

-I've said for the last few games our 4th line has to go out and grind, cycle, and hit to wear teams down. Early in the game, I saw Vitale and Adams getting pushed around and knocked off the puck. Vitale is 5'11", Adams 6', Glass 6'1". They need much bigger grinders to be effective. Tanner Glass has been a huge bust so far.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way DB gets fired this season. This "system" is taught at the NHL and AHL level, the personnel the Pens have are supposed to be for this system. Too big of a change to make mid-season, not to mention, the Pens are still near the top of the standings. I think if the Pens fail to make it to Eastern Conference Finals, Bylsma has to go.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:08 am

slappybrown wrote:This was interesting:

"Every team we play against knows what to expect from us," Crosby said.

Could be read as "every team we play against knows we are good and talented" or "every team we play against knows what to expect from us because we keep doing the same thing (eg, breakout) over and over."

I go with the latter, not the former.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 am

shmenguin wrote:we're 4-5 against the current playoff teams and are a hair away from being in the 7th seed position. just an FYI for the "it's just one game" crowd. this is a team that's capable of winning, but they've proven squat so far. it is very similar to last year - only with a significantly worse roster. we'll see what happens. we don't have any of the assets needed to make a splash at the trade deadline, so i'm pretty sure these are the guys we're going to war with. so if something doesn't change inside the locker room, this team is finished.

with that said...a healthy malkin certainly changes things. but enough to get warm and fuzzy? no.

All the fans who say it's only one game need to be realistic. Last night's loss was identical to the Islanders loss earlier this season. The Florida loss looked identical to the Flyers losses from last week and last spring. It's obvious that teams have figured out the Pens' much hyped system. Either the players are not working hard enough to fix the problem or the coaches can't adjust to what teams are doing to defeat it. Either way, a change is in order.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 am

FLPensFan wrote:-I've said for the last few games our 4th line has to go out and grind, cycle, and hit to wear teams down. Early in the game, I saw Vitale and Adams getting pushed around and knocked off the puck. Vitale is 5'11", Adams 6', Glass 6'1". They need much bigger grinders to be effective. Tanner Glass has been a huge bust so far.

it's impossible for a guy like that to be a huge bust, but i can't really say he's won me over. he seems to take more penalties than a 4th liner should lately. it's a minor thing, but that line is definitively mediocre. it's the one area that should be able to be addressed via trade. but the adams man crush is going to be a tough nut to crack.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 am

my thoughts? PUKE. That is all
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby owtahear on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 am

That was awful. Awful.

Thoughts?
1) I too am sick of the "we didn't work hard" quotes from the Captain. How about a Giroux like shift Sid? I know that is sacriledge, how about putting a guy on his ass and scoring a goal in the same shift.
2) Neal looks lost on Sid's line.
3) Niskanen was horrible last night.
4) Bortuzzo is supposed to bring an edge. He isn't. Why isn't Depres playing?
5) Brooks Orpik is no longer fearful to play against.
6) I can do without the blind passes CONSTANTLY through the middle of the ice.
7) Simplify the game. Get it deep, get it to the net, get it out of your zone. Simple. Stop trying to be a highlight reel team because honestly outside of a few, this team doesn't overly exude skill.
8) I can do with Glass sitting for a game. Just because. Or TK.
9) Powerplay was better when Martin was running it.
10) This team lacks mental toughness let alone physical.
11) This team plays games like it is "entitled" to win.
12) It wasn't MAF's fault by far....but the goaltending hasn't been overwhelming. Especially with the backup.
13) I feel a trade of one regular is warranted to shake it up.

I don't think it is time to push the panic button but this team hasn't looked good for a month.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 am

i must be one of the only guys that thinks burtuzzo is worth playing. He had a bad penalty last night and a bad game as well, but he looks pretty good so far. He is young still and needs to have some games to learn from his mistakes... the same way we allowed Orpik to mature as a player early in his career. Despres will get his chance, but it should not be at the expense of Burt. Burt is most likely the replacement for Orpik down the line, considering the cap goes down in the next few years and Orpiks 4 million is going to be a lot more next time around.

As fans, we have to be patient with our young d prospects when the get called up. They are for sure going to make some mistakes, but they need the playing time to mature.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:26 am

Let's talk about a possible unpopular opinion. Letang is not a Powerplay QB, and I'm having a hard time seeing him learn how to do it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 am

i think martin has already supplanted him as the official "QB".

i think still he needs to be on the ice, though. not for 2 full freaking minutes, DB, but last year we got burned with shorthanded chances against. martin and letang together will help that.

plus...last time i checked, our power play is the only thing we really excel at. it's not an issue in need of correction
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 am

shmenguin wrote:i think martin has already supplanted him as the official "QB".

i think still he needs to be on the ice, though. not for 2 full freaking minutes, DB, but last year we got burned with shorthanded chances against. martin and letang together will help that.

plus...last time i checked, our power play is the only thing we really excel at. it's not an issue in need of correction

I 100% support Paul Martin as the QB dishing it out to the stars. It's a great complement of a guy who knows what to do with the puck when he has it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Let's talk about a possible unpopular opinion. Letang is not a Powerplay QB, and I'm having a hard time seeing him learn how to do it.

I think most have reached that conclusion at this point so I doubt its too unpopular. He's good on the rush and in movement, but as PP QB where economy of movement and smaller maneuvers to find time and space are more valuable, he struggles. He's better than he used to be, but I doubt he ever becomes a Gonch-type QB.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 am

slappybrown wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Let's talk about a possible unpopular opinion. Letang is not a Powerplay QB, and I'm having a hard time seeing him learn how to do it.

I think most have reached that conclusion at this point so I doubt its too unpopular. He's good on the rush and in movement, but as PP QB where economy of movement and smaller maneuvers to find time and space are more valuable, he struggles. He's better than he used to be, but I doubt he ever becomes a Gonch-type QB.

I just want a guy who's going to make pretty solid passes and can hit the net most of the time when he takes a shot from the point.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

I just want a guy who's going to make pretty solid passes and can hit the net most of the time when he takes a shot from the point.

I feel like Niskanen can do both of those things.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:48 am

FIRE AIMEE KIMBALL!!!! (mental training consultant)
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 am

I don't know why so many are crying for it -- Bylsma WILL NOT get fired mid-season., ESPECIALLY when the team is 2nd in the Conference, 6th overall in the league. Vent your frustrations elsewhere please! :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:55 am

Pitts wrote:I don't know why so many are crying for it -- Bylsma WILL NOT get fired mid-season., ESPECIALLY when the team is 2nd in the Conference, 6th overall in the league. Vent your frustrations elsewhere please! :)

what about tomorrow night when they'll be 7th in the conference?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:56 am

Pitts wrote:I don't know why so many are crying for it -- Bylsma WILL NOT get fired mid-season., ESPECIALLY when the team is 2nd in the Conference, 6th overall in the league. Vent your frustrations elsewhere please! :)

I'm saving it for when they get knocked out first round again. That being said, regular season success doesn't carry over to play-offs, and this team has some disgusting traits from the end last year that are rearing their head again.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:58 am

It's really incredible how the Penguins are transforming into the Capitals, from players to fans
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:02 pm

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion. I'd even venture to say many would be okay using him as a trade piece. His flair and speed are nice, but his decision making is horrendous. I will give him the fact that he has at least learned how to use his speed to get back and stop most breakaways he gives so many opposing players every week.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm

slappybrown wrote:This was interesting:

"Every team we play against knows what to expect from us," Crosby said.

Could be read as "every team we play against knows we are good and talented" or "every team we play against knows what to expect from us because we keep doing the same thing (eg, breakout) over and over."

That is an interesting comment. I’m putting my money on number two and wondering if this is an indirect knock at Bylsma and his seeming inability to make in-game adjustments as needed. This team is nothing if not predictable.

I wasn’t able to watch the game and, after reading all the comments from last night, feel blessed. The only bright spot I can see was our PK--and, as usual, we needed it to show up. While killing off five penalties doesn’t make the loss any more palatable, at least it’s a step up from the truly abysmal performance in the previous game where the PK gave up four goals. Ouch!
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

I'm saving it for when they get knocked out first round again. That being said, regular season success doesn't carry over to play-offs, and this team has some disgusting traits from the end last year that are rearing their head again.

There is plenty of time before then to fix the problem. Shero will be an active trader. But, Bylsma will still be the coach of this team come playoff time. Off-season, who knows?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:06 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

It's really incredible how the Penguins are transforming into the Capitals, from players to fans

If that is directed at me, not sure why. I'm stating an opinion that I can pretty much assure is fact.

EDIT: and if you mean the fact that they could be in 7th place tomorrow, well, a week later they could be back in first. So, that doesn't make sense. We all know what the team "issues" are. My belief is they will be addressed via trade, not coach firing. If that makes me a Capitals fan, then, I don't know what to say.
Last edited by Pitts on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:09 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

I don't know whether to give this :thumb: or :thumbdown: :?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins