Simon Despres is a pretty good hockey player

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Simon Despres is a pretty good hockey player

Postby bh on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:22 pm

MrBrightside wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I say again, it's pretty obvious Despres is following the Kris Letang model.

Letang's 2nd year in the league: 63 games = ~ 77% of the season.

Despres' 2nd season so far: 17 games = ~ 74% of the season.

I don't see Despres getting more than 75ish percent of the games. I don't really know what's wrong with that, either.

The fact he's better than the guys playing instead of him, for starters.

Sometimes these young guys need more breaks than the older players as they are not used to playing at such a high intensity so often. We want Despres fresh for the playoffs, not on his last legs.
I remember Vital, played like he was shot out of a cannon for the first few months he was on the big team, but after a while you could see he was worn down. He needed a rest. Maybe they are just trying to not over exhert him as well?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm

shmenguin wrote:they didn't move letang in and out of the lineup like they're doing with despres, so this doesn't really follow the "letang model".

Bingo.

Fact is, Despres is one of our 6-best defenseman right now, and by extension it's stupid not to play him whenever healthy.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MrBrightside on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 pm

bh wrote:
MrBrightside wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I say again, it's pretty obvious Despres is following the Kris Letang model.

I don't see Despres getting more than 75ish percent of the games. I don't really know what's wrong with that, either.

Sometimes these young guys need more breaks than the older players as they are not used to playing at such a high intensity so often. We want Despres fresh for the playoffs, not on his last legs.
I remember Vital, played like he was shot out of a cannon for the first few months he was on the big team, but after a while you could see he was worn down. He needed a rest. Maybe they are just trying to not over exhert him as well?

Despres has played in 4 games since February 15. I think a 21-year-old can handle a bit more exertion.
MrBrightside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:20 pm

MrBrightside wrote:
bh wrote:
MrBrightside wrote:

Despres has played in 4 games since February 15. I think a 21-year-old can handle a bit more exertion.

:thumb:

This smells of textbook "Bylsma giving preference to veterans" procedure. I know we all joked about it when Eaton was signed, but I never thought it'd actually happen!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:29 pm

How many times does it have to be said? The. coach. doesn't. make. all. of. the. lineup. decisions.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:33 pm

tfrizz wrote:
MrBrightside wrote:
bh wrote:
MrBrightside wrote:

:thumb:

This smells of textbook "Bylsma giving preference to veterans" procedure. I know we all joked about it when Eaton was signed, but I never thought it'd actually happen!

I don't know if thats just a Bylsma thing. Thats someting that is coming through Shero. The Pens have always had more than 20 vet nhl skaters in the organization.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:38 pm

So are we going to ignore the reported injury so we can continue our mindless ranting?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Are you talking about the injury he suffered at the morning skate?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Yes, because it happened after he was paired with Bortuzzo at practice, plus DB said it was a minor fingernail injury and he would've returned had the skate not ended.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:43 pm

And more importantly, a game hasn't gone by since it happened.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Since when do we believe anything DB says?

Never mind. Carry on.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 pm

MRandall25 wrote:How many times does it have to be said? The. coach. doesn't. make. all. of. the. lineup. decisions.

So every game DB gets a list from Shero that says "scratch these players"? Nope.

In some situations he may not have a complete say (potential trade showcases), but DB still has the majority of the say as the head coach. He hands in the lineup card. He could scratch Crosby if he wanted to, but obviously he wouldn't last very long if he did.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:49 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:How many times does it have to be said? The. coach. doesn't. make. all. of. the. lineup. decisions.

So every game DB gets a list from Shero that says "scratch these players"? Nope.

In some situations he may not have a complete say (potential trade showcases), but DB still has the majority of the say as the head coach. He hands in the lineup card. He could scratch Crosby if he wanted to, but obviously he wouldn't last very long if he did.

I think its more collaborative than that; I don't think MRandall was insinuating it was Shero handing pieces of paper down from on high. They have daily discussions about who is playing and how players are performing. I imagine Shero and DB had an idea of who was playing and discussed it after the last game. Its not this isolated process as 24/7 showed.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joe icepick on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Wake up Ray!
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Gaucho wrote:So are we going to ignore the reported injury so we can continue our mindless ranting?

A) yes, the fingernail injury can be ignored because it wasn't anything to be concerned about and B) this is not mindless ranting, there is not a good reason to not dress Despres if he is healthy.

Even the argument "well he's not physical enough" or "he's a rookie" should maybe be tested in the middle of the season against a team we could play in the playoffs so we find out now and not in April?

I'll say it until I am blue in the face, Despres and Bortuzzo need experience now so if they need to play due to injuries in the playoffs there's no worries and we can also asses them now so we know if we need help at the deadline.

But that's fine, go with a guy who is barely a #7 on a good team and a guy who has a lengthy injury history so when they get hurt or are deemed worthless in playoff hockey we throw rookies into the fire or we trade for overpriced deadline trash.

Shero is as much to blame for this is Bylsma since it keeps happening.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MrBrightside on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't particularly care if it's Shero or Bylsma or both responsible for it. The idea that you'd sit a guy who has been AT WORST the 5th best defenseman on the team this season for a guy that was unwanted in the NHL for almost a year and who was barely playing in WBS is absurd regardless of who is calling the shot. It's like they lay awake at night trying to think of ways to not play anyone under the age of 25.
MrBrightside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Gaucho wrote:So are we going to ignore the reported injury so we can continue our mindless ranting?

He appeared to be out from the morning pairings pre-injury, unless you think Eaton and Engelland were playing together as the scratched unit, which nope.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 pm

If 24/7 showed us nothing else (and it showed us plenty), it's that all the playing time/call-ups/waivers/etc. decisions are made by DB and RS together.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cr@zy871 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Shakes wrote:If 24/7 showed us nothing else (and it showed us plenty), it's that all the playing time/call-ups/waivers/etc. decisions are made by DB and RS together.

I have Despres as a 3.5 last game... Where did you have him? 8-)
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 pm

a conspiracy theorist would say that they're messing with depres to keep his next price tag low.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 pm

As I said, I wouldn't scratch Despres either. Maybe that's why I'm not an NHL coach. *shrug*
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Cr@zy871 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 pm

It was reported he had a nail issue, so I don't think it is anything too major. Made it seem like he would have been back to practice.... If it hadn't ended by the time he was patched up.
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:21 pm

I still don't see why it matters. They know more than we do about how he's developing.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 pm

the one actual defense of this decision i have is that depres is a minor penalty machine. plus, the game could get out of hand like usual and they think the other guys will be able to manage that better.

though i'd rather depres get an interference penalty than engelland engage in the philly theatrics again
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrBrightside on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:25 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I still don't see why it matters. They know more than we do about how he's developing.

So you are suggesting that people on a message board should never second-guess or take issue with management's decisions since they know more than we do? Interesting. That just eliminated the need for 94% of the internet.

What I do know is that they are 13-4 with him in the lineup and 2-4 with him sitting, and he has the best +/- of any defenseman on the roster. Obviously far from perfect statistics, but I'd suggest those things help make the case for why he should be playing over guys like Mark Eaton.
MrBrightside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins