Did the players really serve pizza in Line today?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Did the players really serve pizza in Line today?

Postby no name on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 am

You got to figure some games the Pens used to sell over 1000 seats to student rush. Thats alot of beer and food they sell that other wise they wouldn't see.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ossa on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:58 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Student rush made sense when you just wanted to scrape some extra money out of seats that would have otherwise gone unused. It does not make sense now when you have a waiting list.

They had a waiting list 2 years ago and could barely sellout a game 7 playoff game. There were hundreds of seats available for that game and the only reason it sold out was because of Student Rush.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 am

Rylan wrote:I am explaining it. It is an investment to gather future fans. The good PR is a side effect of growing the consumer base. But by keeping the student rush, they are constantly capable of growing the brand through a demographic that is rich in potential. It is a long term goal rather than the short term of STHs.

That's fine and dandy, but what is the turnover of STHs? 1-2%...maybe. So, this customer base might be season ticket holders in 20 years?

I don't see the Steelers doing Student Rush. I'm not even sure if they have public sales of tickets (I could be wrong). Why? Their waiting list is 10+ years long and their brand is still out there in the city and beyond.

Yes, I understand the NHL is different and it is a completely different fan base...
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:10 am

Kovy27 wrote:
Rylan wrote:I am explaining it. It is an investment to gather future fans. The good PR is a side effect of growing the consumer base. But by keeping the student rush, they are constantly capable of growing the brand through a demographic that is rich in potential. It is a long term goal rather than the short term of STHs.

That's fine and dandy, but what is the turnover of STHs? 1-2%...maybe. So, this customer base might be season ticket holders in 20 years?

I don't see the Steelers doing Student Rush. I'm not even sure if they have public sales of tickets (I could be wrong). Why? Their waiting list is 10+ years long and their brand is still out there in the city and beyond.

Yes, I understand the NHL is different and it is a completely different fan base...

The Steelers are a different animal altogether. They are well run though and have a deep routed fan base. They are just one of those franchises that should be set for years.

The Penguins are in a sport that is still niche really. They have to try creative and different ways to attract young consumers. Just how it is. But, I am curious as to the STH turnover rate is.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 am

Rylan wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

The Steelers are a different animal altogether. They are well run though and have a deep routed fan base. They are just one of those franchises that should be set for years.

The Penguins are in a sport that is still niche really. They have to try creative and different ways to attract young consumers. Just how it is. But, I am curious as to the STH turnover rate is.

I can tell you this...

My friend and I were 800ish on the waiting list the first year it was out. We finally got our season tickets this year. I'm sure it is around 1%.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am

Its a lot easier to maintain a STH than it is to sell a ticket, I promise you that. Ask anyone in any business ever. Easier to maintain than to sell. Not sure why I keep coming in here, like I said, it doesn't affect me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:57 am

Were not talking about pizza anymore are we?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Its a lot easier to maintain a STH than it is to sell a ticket, I promise you that. Ask anyone in any business ever. Easier to maintain than to sell. Not sure why I keep coming in here, like I said, it doesn't affect me.

Same boat. I actually wanted to know why they would keep doing it.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 pm

I don't mind them doing it. They probably use those 500 tickets for other promotional reasons and just set aside a handful of games for student rush as one of them, so they probably couldn't seel them at ST anyway.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Its a lot easier to maintain a STH than it is to sell a ticket, I promise you that. Ask anyone in any business ever. Easier to maintain than to sell. Not sure why I keep coming in here, like I said, it doesn't affect me.

Same boat. I actually wanted to know why they would keep doing it.

In the recent past it was clearly also used as a security blanket to keep the sellout steak going, especially last year when prices exploded.

At a few hundred tickets or so here or there its no biggie, good will. I get idiot40s point though. You have to walk a fine line between keeping customers and other growth avenues. Does student rush actually grow fans more just because they can come to a few games, does it actually increase their chance of being big spenders compared to growing actual business dollars - remember the theory holds true for both. You want them both to continue to spend money.

The pens almost lost me as a customer last year because I was sick and tired of my season ticket rates and playoff rates going through the roof because they had lower sales than expected due to prices. They were not selling the lower bowl tickets out game by game andfilled it with students.

Again I like the idea but losing a bunch of $8000 - $16000 per investments to keep a sellout streak going (basically folks like me were subsidizing students / sellout streak) well that is where idiot40 point comes into play long term, does giving students some tickets grow them as fans anymore than if they didn't have tickets compared to losing real money fans and growing them as fans as well + running off some fans.

Would it not be smarter to fill those seats with Seasons, even at a lower rate than the gate price?

Again the point everyone is missing is student rush grows fans sure, but how is that different from growing any group that buys tickets?

I don't know the answer but it is a valid point to raise.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:46 pm

All I know is Sports Marketing seems to me to be a different animal in a lot of ways. I didn't get the chance to talk to my professor as I was busy on a class project, but when I get the chance I will relay the information.

Again, the first thing was that many things in sports marketing can be short or narrow sighted. The Pens feel that the STHs are going to be there no matter what, but the younger crowd needed may not be. I may send an email here in a bit.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:32 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Would it not be smarter to fill those seats with Seasons, even at a lower rate than the gate price?

Again the point everyone is missing is student rush grows fans sure, but how is that different from growing any group that buys tickets?

I'm pretty sure they can't. I think I read somewhere that the NHL caps the number of season tickets each team can sell in order for the general public to be able to purchase single game tickets. If anyone else has insight on this please share.

There are three games where they do this student rush with 500 tickets. Three. Normally these tickets are sold on a single game basis for 25%+ markups. My season tickets cost $67 a game, lets pretend those 500 tickets are sold to season ticket holders.

$67 * 500 tickets * 24 games = $804,000

Now pretend they are sold for the 21 non student rush games, and 3 student rush games.

$25 * 500 tickets * 3 SR games = $37,500
$85 * 500 tickets * 21 games = $892,500

Total w/ STHs = $804,000
Total w/ SR/single game= $930,000

$126,000 difference

So it actually benefits them not to sell season tix if they know that they'll be able to sell these single game tickets. The fact is Student Rush mainly sells the remaining tickets that go unsold. Just look at the tickets for Sunday. There are roughly 50 tickets unsold. When Saturday approaches there will be even more tickets available. It is better for them to sell these tickets for $25 than for nothing. It is brilliant. Think of priceline with their hotel bidding. Many of the hotel rooms are sold for regular price. As the date becomes closer these rooms become sold on priceline because it is better for the hotel to have these rooms occupied than not at all. Student Rush has helped them countless times over the years.

Also if they fill 500 more seats with season tickets, that will mean lower supply and a higher ticket prices on the secondary market. So it is a two edged sword.

And what better group is there to grow than college students? Please tell me.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Would it not be smarter to fill those seats with Seasons, even at a lower rate than the gate price?

I'm pretty sure they can't. I think I read somewhere that the NHL caps the number of season tickets each team can sell in order for the general public to be able to purchase single game tickets. If anyone else has insight on this please share.

There are three games where they do this student rush with 500 tickets. Three. Normally these tickets are sold on a single game basis for 25%+ markups. My season tickets cost $67 a game, lets pretend those 500 tickets are sold to season ticket holders.

$67 * 500 tickets * 24 games = $804,000

Now pretend they are sold for the 21 non student rush games, and 3 student rush games.

$25 * 500 tickets * 3 SR games = $37,500
$85 * 500 tickets * 21 games = $892,500

Total w/ STHs = $804,000
Total w/ SR/single game= $930,000

$126,000 difference

So it actually benefits them not to sell season tix if they know that they'll be able to sell these single game tickets. The fact is Student Rush mainly sells the remaining tickets that go unsold. Just look at the tickets for Sunday. There are roughly 50 tickets unsold. When Saturday approaches there will be even more tickets available. It is better for them to sell these tickets for $25 than for nothing. It is brilliant. Think of priceline with their hotel bidding. Many of the hotel rooms are sold for regular price. As the date becomes closer these rooms become sold on priceline because it is better for the hotel to have these rooms occupied than not at all. Student Rush has helped them countless times over the years.

Also if they fill 500 more seats with season tickets, that will mean lower supply and a higher ticket prices on the secondary market. So it is a two edged sword.

And what better group is there to grow than college students? Please tell me.

There is no such rule in the NHL at all.

And I'm not arguing your point. I'm just bringing up a different point. Per your last question on what better group to grow than college students:

Male demo 24 - 49 as purchasers. Why is a 21 year old a better potential customer at $20 than a 26 year old at $100?

If the point is to grow fans, to idiots point it is much easier to keep the ones you have. There is no guarantee a college kid is going to become a season holder because he can buy the random ticket moreso than if they didn't have the program especially if you value that against already having fairly young people ready and willing to buy more expensive tickets, they have better long term spending potential by far. I bet what at least half of all college kids here leave Pgh, maybe more.

I agree the program is nice goodwill, keeps some kids interested and helps preserve sellouts but to think they are better of by offering it than selling to current wannabe customers is crazy, even long term.

It's not brilliant actually, selling last minute low is about as basic of a marketing plan as you can get.

Again not arguin the idea and don't care, ibut since its what i do for a living I couldn't resist addin my two cents to what I think is pretty flawed reasoning.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:03 pm

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:22 pm

The college kids will buy a lot of beer, and at $7.50 a pop, the Pens = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ossa on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:43 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:There is no such rule in the NHL at all.

And I'm not arguing your point. I'm just bringing up a different point. Per your last question on what better group to grow than college students:

Male demo 24 - 49 as purchasers. Why is a 21 year old a better potential customer at $20 than a 26 year old at $100?

If the point is to grow fans, to idiots point it is much easier to keep the ones you have. There is no guarantee a college kid is going to become a season holder because he can buy the random ticket moreso than if they didn't have the program especially if you value that against already having fairly young people ready and willing to buy more expensive tickets, they have better long term spending potential by far. I bet what at least half of all college kids here leave Pgh, maybe more.

I agree the program is nice goodwill, keeps some kids interested and helps preserve sellouts but to think they are better of by offering it than selling to current wannabe customers is crazy, even long term.

It's not brilliant actually, selling last minute low is about as basic of a marketing plan as you can get.

Again not arguin the idea and don't care, ibut since its what i do for a living I couldn't resist addin my two cents to what I think is pretty flawed reasoning.

Sorry. I'm a little lost. Is your point that they should sell these 500 tickets to STHs or at regular price?
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:59 pm

newarenanow wrote:The college kids will buy a lot of beer, and at $7.50 a pop, the Pens = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Outside the fact that most college kids are under the age of 21.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:The college kids will buy a lot of beer, and at $7.50 a pop, the Pens = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Outside the fact that most college kids are under the age of 21.

And have less money and spend less than people with jobs :-).
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:45 pm

All you old people are gonna die and us college kids will have to buy your season tickets with our newly begotten jobs eventually?
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 pm

at $7.50 a pop, the Pens = smashing a 6 pack by yourself in the parking lot 15 minutes before the game starts

trust me, I've been there.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:

at $7.50 a pop, the Pens = smashing a 6 pack by yourself in the parking lot 15 minutes before the game starts

trust me, I've been there.

:thumb: :fist:
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Ossa wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:There is no such rule in the NHL at all.

Sorry. I'm a little lost. Is your point that they should sell these 500 tickets to STHs or at regular price?

My only point is that it makes less sense to invest in college kids to grow as fans than it does for regular buying folks. It's not like we are talking college kids vs 90 year olds. These kids may be huge fans with or without the program. Both are long term options, but the season is guaranteed money and a much higher probability of long term client, but college kids have a lot more chance of moving, or not buying tickets for any number of reasons.

But to your point they would probably be better off selling them as seasons, or most of them, in a situation like last year they ended up having trouble selling them at the gate price. Turned away long term customers and guaranteed money and ended up selling them at $20.

Anyways, like I said I do t really care, i like the program in general I just found people's reasoning in this thread to be pretty far off base.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

I love how this thread melted down from pizza to yet another STH debate.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:All you old people are gonna die and us college kids will have to buy your season tickets with our newly begotten jobs eventually?

FALSE!

You'll be unemployed...or doing nothing related to your field.

This is a joke before I get slammed.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins