Did the players really serve pizza in Line today?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Did the players really serve pizza in Line today?

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Kovy27 wrote:I couldn't afford tickets until I got out of school...

I have season tickets now, I waited 4 years to get them.

Typical spoiled season ticket holder - too good to stand in the Student Rush line.....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:I couldn't afford tickets until I got out of school...

I have season tickets now, I waited 4 years to get them.

Typical spoiled season ticket holder - too good to stand in the Student Rush line.....

LOL. I did that for years when the Pens couldn't fill the arena. I still blame Eddy O.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Ossa wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:To be honest, that's 500 tickets that they could have sold to people in the season ticket waiting list.

I understand the concept of Student Rush, it was great when the Pens were not filling the building in the early 2000s...However, they have over 10k people in the waiting list line that would love to have their season tickets.

But they do offer presale tickets and mini packages to people on the wait list. They don't completely ignore these people.

ok? However they could sell 500 season ticket packages....

If they did that then that's 500 less single game tickets available for each game. There's a reason why they cap season tickets. They are only doing this type of student rush three times this year, and they are for weekday games against opponents no one really cares about.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 am

Student rush made sense when you just wanted to scrape some extra money out of seats that would have otherwise gone unused. It does not make sense now when you have a waiting list.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Student rush made sense when you just wanted to scrape some extra money out of seats that would have otherwise gone unused. It does not make sense now when you have a waiting list.

It makes perfect sense. They're thinking long term here. Today's student rush are tomorrow's season ticket holders. It's not like they're doing it for every game.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:17 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Student rush made sense when you just wanted to scrape some extra money out of seats that would have otherwise gone unused. It does not make sense now when you have a waiting list.

Its an investment to get a demographic that is typically poorer into games and hopefully in the future will procure season tickets as the current holders die off or when the team has an inevitable downturn and will need the fans it earns during winning seasons to continue buying tickets.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am

Rylan wrote:

Its an investment to get a demographic that is typically poorer into games and hopefully in the future will procure season tickets as the current holders die off or when the team has an inevitable downturn and will need the fans it earns during winning seasons to continue buying tickets.

It also helped keep the sell out streak alive last year. I love student rush as an idea even when its a sold out situation, they have been doing since I was in high school in the late 90's and probably earlier. And the Pens claim it was only a few hundred per game which isnt a big deal.

I havent been to many games this year as work travel is times two, dropped most of my tickets to coworkers, but in the recent past the overall sentiment I have just read doesnt matter anyways as it was being used to fill hundreds if not more of unsold lower bowl seats as it seemed they were priced too high and were not selling. Not sure what its like this year I havent been able to pay much attention.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 am

stopper40 wrote:

It makes perfect sense. They're thinking long term here. Today's student rush are tomorrow's season ticket holders. It's not like they're doing it for every game.

Yesterday's student rushers are today's people sitting on the waiting list.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 am

did you think that every seat in CEC (or any other arena for that matter) is occupied by STHs? it doesn't work that way. the real question is, how many STHs are actually just ticket brokers who do nothing but re-sell the tickets at a premium?
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 am

shoeshine boy wrote:

did you think that every seat in CEC (or any other arena for that matter) is occupied by STHs? it doesn't work that way. the real question is, how many STHs are actually just ticket brokers who do nothing but re-sell the tickets at a premium?

If I thought it worked that way, I obviously wouldn't be talking about giving the additional tickets to people willing to buy them. You need to think before you post.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 am

shoeshine boy wrote:

Ticket would be sold at 50+ dollars instead of 25 or whatever they charge. 500 seats, 250 to the public, 250 to people on the waiting list.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:14 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:

If I thought it worked that way, I obviously wouldn't be talking about giving the additional tickets to people willing to buy them. You need to think before you post.

and you need to lighten up and not complain about "why are they giving out tickets if there's still a STH waiting list?" you specifically questioned why they weren't going to people on the STH wait list not why they're not going to the general public. it's called "good PR", btw.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 am

Technically speaking student rushers are also people willing to buy tickets.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FrozenNuts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:18 am

The complaints of student rush in this thread is absolutely ridiculous. 500 tickets every once in a while to let some poor college kids get a change to go to a pens game. Many of you took advantage of this in the past, whether or not the team was good is irrelevant. It is a community outreach program intended to show the good will of the organization. You super fans are the worst.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 am

Student Rush may have been good PR for them, but that is not why they did it. Whether the team was good or not is absolutely relevant. I couldn't care less about it, it doesn't affect me, but I don't understand why they do it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 am

I am explaining it. It is an investment to gather future fans. The good PR is a side effect of growing the consumer base. But by keeping the student rush, they are constantly capable of growing the brand through a demographic that is rich in potential. It is a long term goal rather than the short term of STHs.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 am

You are trying to explain it, i'll give you that. How does it do that if they are leaving the same "investment" standing outside? No one has responded to me when I have said this. The same people that were "shown good faith" with the student rush program in years past are just accumulating on the waiting list. Given, there is going to be a waiting list anyway, but that can be slightly mitigated.

Funny story...I have student rushed and scalped my season tickets twice, thus paying nothing to go to the game. One other time I sold the season tickets for the sth value so I saved money and still went to the game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 am

Idoit40fans wrote:You are trying to explain it, i'll give you that. How does it do that if they are leaving the same "investment" standing outside? No one has responded to me when I have said this. The same people that were "shown good faith" with the student rush program in years past are just accumulating on the waiting list. Given, there is going to be a waiting list anyway, but that can be slightly mitigated.

Ok missed that part. You can never collect every potential consumer. While that would be great it isn't possible. But, in the 3 games that will be doing this current format of 500 seats, they could gather a potential of 1,500 college students.

The STH thing issue is probably a combination of things. Too many season ticket holders and you begin to ostracize the mini-plans, single games, and students by forcing them to purchase second hand or scurry to try and gather whatever is left on ticketmaster (not much, unless you have money to spend or are going alone then there is enough) or sitting at home. So they cap the amount of STH tickets.

This pic may be hard to read, but its called the Marketing Escalator Concept.

It is a constantly moving framework of the consumer base. In theory, you have to build from the ground up and are constantly trying to push people up the escalator. Heavy users will eventually step off, with medium users replacing and light users behind.

Now, if the Pens cease developing a prospect pool of fans, they run the risk of causing long term issues with fan base. A good example would be the Buffalo Bills of the early 90s. They marketed their team based on success and expanded the stadium and did all sorts of things based on the short term success of the team. Since then, the Bills have gone downhill and have never recovered from the marketing myopia created by basing everything off of short term success.

I am starting to repeat myself, bleh.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 am

I want us to be realistic here. Most of the air canada center is corporate tickets. The fanbase isn't taking a hit. They're looking at adding a team. This point has nothing to do with how good Pittsburgh or Toronto is as a hockey town or a team. The demand is there or it isn't. If the team gos in the tank after Crosby and Malkin leave, everyone knows that the arena is going to be half empty, student rush or not. It does not make sense to me that they are "investing". There will be a waiting list until the team stops being a perennial contender, and then after that, there won't be a sellout streak any longer. Its as simple as that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I want us to be realistic here. Most of the air canada center is corporate tickets. The fanbase isn't taking a hit. They're looking at adding a team. This point has nothing to do with how good Pittsburgh or Toronto is as a hockey town or a team. The demand is there or it isn't. If the team gos in the tank after Crosby and Malkin leave, everyone knows that the arena is going to be half empty, student rush or not. It does not make sense to me that they are "investing". There will be a waiting list until the team stops being a perennial contender, and then after that, there won't be a sellout streak any longer. Its as simple as that.

The waiting list is a current luxury. But, I am sure there is a good number on the waiting list that will get season tickets no matter what.

As for the the demand in Pittsburgh, while I don't think a sellout streak will continue once the Penguins do take a downturn in talent I do not think that there will be as big a drop off like the early 2000s showed. The Penguins have invested a lot into the community with youth programs and other things that they should be capable of being able to generate a half decent crowd each game as long as they aren't as devastatingly terrible as they were in 2003. The investments will pay off in 10 years when my age group is in an established career. But do not sell short investing. It may seem stupid, but it most certainly is not.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 am

If the high schoolers and early college people are still coming back if the team sucks in a decade, it will be because they grew up watching it. Just like the people in my generation stayed around because they grew up watching the early 90s teams. Its no surprise that Pittsburgh starts producing respectable hockey talent 2 decades after the Pens won their first cups. This city is always going to go through cycles.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Slick, Arnold on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 am

Student Rush is sponsored, it makes perfect sense. Along with the other points regarding engaging future season ticket holders and giving warm fuzzies/PR opportunities, the branding and selling of Student Rush is a creative way to deliver otherwise non-existent inventory to a partner and generate significant sponsorship dollars that certainly dwarfs the "missed" ticket revenue.
Slick, Arnold
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If the high schoolers and early college people are still coming back if the team sucks in a decade, it will be because they grew up watching it. Just like the people in my generation stayed around because they grew up watching the early 90s teams. Its no surprise that Pittsburgh starts producing respectable hockey talent 2 decades after the Pens won their first cups. This city is always going to go through cycles.

Are you in the financial or accounting field by chance?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 am

No, sales and marketing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am

Hmmm interesting. I will ask my sports marketing professor about this topic today in class or after class to see what she says.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins