Official GDT 3/4/2013: PIT VS TB

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT 3/4/2013: PIT VS TB

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:06 am

Much better but still not where it needs to be.

Two instances where the center didn't stay with his man all the way to the net. First one was Vitale, resulted in a goal, 2nd was Sid and resulted in an unbelievable save by MAF.

Same old same old for TK and Glass.

The defensemen looked pretty good. Letang was horrible early but settled down
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:15 am

I feel like they are going.to get a lot of their stupid play out of their system in the first half of the season and we'll be set for the playoffs
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 am

Shakes wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Very unselfish by Geno

The only good thing to ever come from Pierre between the benches:

Cooke: "Why didn't you pass it to me on that."
Malkin: "Because you miss."

:P

Haha is that real? I had the Root feed. So awesome
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Shakes wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Very unselfish by Geno

The only good thing to ever come from Pierre between the benches:

Cooke: "Why didn't you pass it to me on that."
Malkin: "Because you miss."

:P

Haha is that real? I had the Root feed. So awesome

Completely legit. Pierre was dying laughing.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:43 am

Daniel87 wrote:The Pens have 5 players in the top 21 in points. 4 in the top 15.

And defense is the problem. Is it 1995 again?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 am

I'd like to see Despres play vs. Philly. I feel like playing tough guy Engo announces to the Flyers that we're ready for more shenanigans. JMO.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 am

I thought they were alright tonight. 2nd TB goal was real flukey but Fleury had to rob them on some other occasions. Still not a win that makes me feel great, just another one of those games where they win by sheer offensive force. Pens easily could have had several more goals. The last goal by TB was annoying. The Pens just can't help it, have to give up their 3+ goals a game. I give a little bit of a pass since it was TB, but still - three or more goals in seven of the last eight games. :thumbdown:

One thing I do like about this season is that they're earning their points. Only Chicago has more regulation+overtime wins. Just one shootout win and no OT losses. They've propped up their record a little too much with the cheap points in recent seasons. They're starting to get some separation in the division race which is good. It'd be great if they could actually win the division this season because the 4/5 match-up doesn't look like fun. Then again, the 2/7 could easily have them facing the Flyers again. On that note, I do not look forward to Thursday.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 am

I wouldn't even say that last goal was a "bad" goal for the team. Glass went down to block the shot (+1), it hit him at angle and rolled up Fleury's arm, where Stamkos knocked it in. Just indicative of the night of bounces TB had going for them, even though they lost.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GDR on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 am

Since the Columbus front office was at the game tonight, the Trib threw out the name Jack Johnson as someone the Pens might be looking at (I don't know if that's just a name they threw against the wall or what) and said Despres is available. I don't know if I'd trade Despres for Jack Johnson...I don't think +/- is the be all and end all but Johnson is a -95 for his career and his offensive numbers have notably tailed off after some good years in LA. Despres is only 21 and I have liked his development throughout his tenure with the Penguins organization.

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/20 ... a-calgary/
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:05 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:The Pens have 5 players in the top 21 in points. 4 in the top 15.

Scary that they could finish with 4 of the top 5 players in points.

Not to mention Letang has the most points among defensemen and Paul Martin is, I believe, still tied for 3rd. What problem on defense? :pop:
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 am

They definitely had to have gotten Jack Johnson's name from LGP.

He's terrible. He makes Alex Ovechkin look responsible in the d-zone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:47 am

Re: Mild disdain for Eaton's play tonight.

It really is a tough crowd, huh? Eaton exhibited some of the best positioning, best decision-making and most consistent gaps by any Penguin on the ice tonight, all that while dragging Niskanen along with him. Played 15 and a half minutes of even strength hockey tonight against the highest scoring team in the league after not being in the league until last week and looked very good doing it.

Here's a guy who has played one season's worth of games since April 2010 basically, couldn't find a job in the offseason, he gets thrown into a mish-mash lineup where everyone is unhappy about something...

- Shero can't draft or build a team properly
- Bylsma can't coach or create lines properly
- Crosby can't lead
- Malkin don't try
- Neither does Neal
- Kennedy tries too hard
- Shoulda scratched Kunitz
- Shoulda played Despres
- Don't want Engelland, do want him to fight
- Do want hitting, don't want Glass
- Need physical defender for Martin, don't want Orpik
- Need positional defender for Orpik, don't want Martin
- Need offensive, transitional d-men to get the puck to stars, don't want Letang
- Need goaltender that can bail us out of our own crap-ucopia, Fleury's a bust
- Want Vokoun to start, don't want it to be 2003 again

Now we get Eaton into the lineup, not one bad thing happened while Eaton was out there and still we find something to be unhappy about. I mean, look, I sit there and micro-analyze the game as much as anyone, but it's with expectations in mind...Eaton walks in, fresh from the sewer, against a high-octane offense and does a terrific job defensively...in fact, I started typing up some stuff about Eaton's game tonight and then McGuire and Albert started talking him up, so I thought, "well, good, at least someone else is noticing how well he's playing tonight..."

I'm not saying I don't complain about some guys, I'm not saying the team is perfect, I'm not saying we have the greatest coach in the world...but Jesus tap-dancing Christ, can't you take a little victory out of this...a little victory out of win, that is...

"Eaton played well"
*sirens* *shotguns loading* *optimism detected* "Shoot to kill!"
"No, umm, actually, he didn't...well, A) he wears #4 and that was Hatcher's number and he didn't play well and number B) um, in the second, um, in the second period they dumped it in and Niskanen got it and Eaton just kind of watched, even know, uh, even, even though...if Eaton was faster he could have gotten it. So, no, not that really that good..."
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 am

lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 am

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:31 am

huh?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:25 am

Sometimes I wonder why some fans even watch the games, all they do is complain. No doubt the team has work to do still but Sid and Geno were so great to watch tonight...don't forget to enjoy that, too. :thumb:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:38 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

Scary that they could finish with 4 of the top 5 players in points.

Not to mention Letang has the most points among defensemen and Paul Martin is, I believe, still tied for 3rd. What problem on defense? :pop:

Just because the defense can score goals does not mean they can prevent the other team from doing so.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 am

littlemoonboot wrote:Sometimes I wonder why some fans even watch the games, all they do is complain. No doubt the team has work to do still but Sid and Geno were so great to watch tonight...don't forget to enjoy that, too. :thumb:

This town can be spoiled sometimes. There are obvious holes in this team but that should not stop people from enjoying a pretty solid win. I was much more satisfied with last nights win over Saturdays thats for sure.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slipshod on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 am

Trading Despres for just about anyone would be a mistake let alone any of the Blue Jackets.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 am

slipshod wrote:Trading Despres for just about anyone would be a mistake let alone any of the Blue Jackets.

Disagree. Yes, Depres is shaping up nicely and could very well be taking top 4 minutes in the next 2 years. But our pipeline is clogged with young and potential top 4 defensemen. If trading one of them to fill a spot this team really needs tean it's a good move. Why hang on to a defenseman that will be in your top 4 two years from now when you can trade him for a shot at a cup right now?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby raewhit on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 am

littlemoonboot wrote:Sometimes I wonder why some fans even watch the games, all they do is complain. No doubt the team has work to do still but Sid and Geno were so great to watch tonight...don't forget to enjoy that, too. :thumb:

You must be reading my mind!!! It is so much fun to watch Sid, Geno and Letang( yes- Letang!!). They are supremely talented.
raewhit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slipshod on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:53 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
slipshod wrote:Trading Despres for just about anyone would be a mistake let alone any of the Blue Jackets.

Disagree. Yes, Depres is shaping up nicely and could very well be taking top 4 minutes in the next 2 years. But our pipeline is clogged with young and potential top 4 defensemen. If trading one of them to fill a spot this team really needs tean it's a good move. Why hang on to a defenseman that will be in your top 4 two years from now when you can trade him for a shot at a cup right now?

Because they may not be able to afford Letang in two years?

I could see trading him for a BIG name. But it had better be for much more than Jack freaking Johnson. I don't look at the Pens and think "Jack Johnson is the answer."
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Neither do I. I do, however, think Despres, kennedy, and a 1st could yield a good return somewhere.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:32 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Neither do I. I do, however, think Despres, kennedy, and a 1st could yield a good return somewhere.

It would fetch exactly the same as despres and a 1st
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Eh conceptually yes. But I think it would yield a 3 for 2 trade rather than a 2 for 1. Plus it opens up a spot for *insert player here* that probably was picked up in the trade.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins