Game 23 vs. Tampa - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 23 vs. Tampa - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 am

i wish this board could be programmed so that when someone posts a jack johnson-esque trade scenario, an alert would pop up saying...

please select the following player you would like traded to allow the team to afford this trade. you must select one of these players to proceed:
-crosby
-malkin
-neal
-letang
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 am

What is Jack Johnson?? An Offensive dman, 2 way dman or defensive defenceman. His career numbers are pretty bad to this point.had 8g, 28a one year. Besides that his numbers don't impress. We need more of a defensive presence than a guy who can score.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 am

AI modding: I like that idea.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 am

columbia wrote:AI modding: I like that idea.

"AI" is the only "I" we can hope for around here sometimes...amirite? eh?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 am

Ah, the annual Jack Johnson "rumor"

Aside from some soft, finesse winger like a Hemsky, I can't think of someone the team needs less than Jack Johnson. Unless the plan is to continue to score a lot of goals and give up a lot of goals.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 am

no name wrote:What is Jack Johnson?? An Offensive dman, 2 way dman or defensive defenceman. His career numbers are pretty bad to this point.had 8g, 28a one year. Besides that his numbers don't impress. We need more of a defensive presence than a guy who can score.

Not interested in someone signed for that hit that long anyway.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 am

I see that Letestu is doing pretty well this year.
Good for him; he seemed like a good dude.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meow on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 am

no name wrote:What is Jack Johnson?? An Offensive dman, 2 way dman or defensive defenceman. His career numbers are pretty bad to this point.had 8g, 28a one year. Besides that his numbers don't impress. We need more of a defensive presence than a guy who can score.

Terrible is the word you are looking for.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tunez33 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 am

Idoit40fans wrote:

Not interested in someone signed for that hit that long anyway.

think of letang type player but not as offensively created with half the skating ability, with the ability to disappear on coverage like orpik has the past 2 games... i wouldn't trade despres for him straight up..

the only way i see us trading for him is if it is somehow an agreed 3 team trade before hand...
tunez33
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 am

Brandon Dubinsky is intriguing. LW, some PK, a little grit, salary too high, injured.

Letestu is CBJ's second line center, at least currently.

Edit: I think Orpik is injured. He hasn't looked himself for about 4 games now. Just a little off.
Last edited by Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 am

Another disciplined game and, what do you know, a comeback win in the third! So glad they’ve decided to turn over a new leaf and start playing like adults instead of unruly children. At least, I hope that's the case. The first big test will come Thursday when they face their greatest provocateurs. Let us pray.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am

TrueNorth wrote:Another disciplined game and, what do you know, a comeback win in the third! So glad they’ve decided to turn over a new leaf and start playing like adults instead of unruly children. At least, I hope that's the case. The first big test will come Thursday when they face their greatest provocateurs. Let us pray.

the lightning are a bunch of softies, so there wasn't going to be any circus last night. like you say, let's see what happens in philly. i'd be happy if engelland was scratched for the sake of setting a tone.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am

- Holy weird bounces Batman.
- Tanger is a 3rd winger, I am sure of it.
- Geno... I think his short term memory loss was his previous play this season up until this game. He was DOMINANT at times.
- Isn't it nice when both Sid and Geno are "ON" at the same time?
- Best game played by team in awhile defensively, and that isn't saying much. Still room for improvement there.
- Orpik as taken Paul Martin's spot from last year of underachieving dmen. Injured?
- Flower was on last night, when has he been off this year?
- Eaton comes in and doesn't look rusty at all. So far a good depth signing for sure.
- Good home win last night, now, is the improved play a mirage? We shall find out Thursday night.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 am

:thumb: Image

PLUS-MINUS #1
17 Chris Kunitz
Left Wing - PIT

›E. Staal CAR 15
A. Semin CAR 15 :shock: :shock: :!:
P. Bergeron BOS 15
J. Tlusty CAR 15
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby guiner on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:51 am

shmenguin wrote:i wish this board could be programmed so that when someone posts a jack johnson-esque trade scenario, an alert would pop up saying...

please select the following player you would like traded to allow the team to afford this trade. you must select one of these players to proceed:
-crosby
-malkin
-neal
-letang

bullocks, JJ is no where near worth the jockstrap of any of those guys. He is not the player he was suppose to be.

I wouldn't trade Despres for him straight up.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby duke66 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:53 am

am i reading on capgeek correctly. pens have over 8-million in space for possible deadline dealings? i would like to think i understand the cap 100%, but alas i don't. why couldn't the pens add iginla and another solid dman (if u put aside who they would give up) and be set up perfectly for a cup run? please explain!! hehe.

ps-they do have a glut of young d prospects. who are just that...PROSPECTS!
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 am

guiner wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i wish this board could be programmed so that when someone posts a jack johnson-esque trade scenario, an alert would pop up saying...

-crosby
-malkin
-neal
-letang

bullocks, JJ is no where near worth the jockstrap of any of those guys. He is not the player he was suppose to be.

He didn't say he was as good as those guys, just that we'd have to move one of them to afford Johnson
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 am

duke66 wrote:am i reading on capgeek correctly. pens have over 8-million in space for possible deadline dealings? i would like to think i understand the cap 100%, but alas i don't. why couldn't the pens add iginla and another solid dman (if u put aside who they would give up) and be set up perfectly for a cup run? please explain!! hehe.

The problem is that the cap drops significantly next season, so whomever they sign/acquire must have a cap friendly hit for next season or be a UFA/RFA.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 am

Froggy wrote:
guiner wrote:

-crosby
-malkin
-neal
-letang

He didn't say he was as good as those guys, just that we'd have to move one of them to afford Johnson

yeah, that's the point. picking up anyone with any kind of salary isn't an option.

here's another LGP 2.0 artificial intelligence feature...when someone wants to post something about getting iginla...

please select the following player you would like traded to acquire this guy for ONLY A FEW MONTHS. you must select one of these players to proceed.:
-depres
-morrow
-pouliot

*please note that calgary probably doesn't even want a defenseman so you should probably just click cancel
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 am

duke66 wrote:am i reading on capgeek correctly. pens have over 8-million in space for possible deadline dealings? i would like to think i understand the cap 100%, but alas i don't. why couldn't the pens add iginla and another solid dman (if u put aside who they would give up) and be set up perfectly for a cup run? please explain!! hehe.

that "hehe" made me uncomfortable
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 am

Plus parity +a short season = less deadline drama
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 pm

They could add something crazy like $30M of AAV at the deadline with they space they have.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby duke66 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

The problem is that the cap drops significantly next season, so whomever they sign/acquire must have a cap friendly hit for next season or be a UFA/RFA.

Isn't Iginla a UFA after this year?? So moot
For pens. Make a huge splash gmrs!!
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:12 pm

duke66 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Isn't Iginla a UFA after this year?? So moot
For pens. Make a huge splash gmrs!!

We aren't getting Iginla. What they would want us to give up isn't worth 2 months of Iginla. Think Bennett and one of Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Pouliot as a start.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 pm

If Shero trades one of Despres,Morrow,Dumoulin or Harrington,HE IS AN IDIOT! sorry Ray,but that is true.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins