Should Kris Letang Be Inserted As a Top-Six Forward?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Should Kris Letang Be Inserted As a Top-Six Forward?

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Articles like this are why "journalism" is now populated by under-educated, self-promoting idiots. If you don't get paid, it's not your job. If you get paid for garbage like that, then your boss should be fired.

If it's tongue-in-cheek, it isn't funny. If it's serious.....

That is 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Felt the same way and promptly left that same establishment. I thought it was just me being a stubborn baby, but something about the place rubbed me the wrong way. All of the headlines are so "National Enquirer" ...I get that you're trying to draw people in, but I guess the headlines just aren't designed to get me to click on them. If a headline asks a question, I answer it and don't click the link. "Should the Penguins trade Evgeni Malkin?" I'll see it, say, "no" and move on...having a stupid idea doesn't make me want to click on a link...but for some reason, that puts me in the minority...

They had one, I think it was just a couple games into the season, "Why the Oilers should trade Nail Yakupov" - but inside, IIRC, it was mostly reasons why the Oilers shouldn't trade Yakupov...if the headline is just designed to draw in hits, then why don't you take a page from those ads you see all the time now.

"3 Easy Ways to Boost Testosterone" and then when click it, it's about Gary Roberts' offseason boot camps...or "Sexy Russian Singles Want You to Buy Them...so they can get their green card, what do you care..." and it can be a list of the 10 best Russians in the game today or something...

I'll spare you, this is me whining about another article from the site, it was pretty unnecessary for me to pick on, but when I get on a roll...whatever...
Spoiler:
I don't want to bad mouth a place I just left because that's not cool, but certain things just irked me like this article: http://thehockeywriters.com/do-rangers- ... es-of-nhl/

If you don't want to click (and for your own good, you probably shouldn't), the headline is clear in the url.

It's a bunch of blah blah about some guy not understanding hockey...it asks if the Rangers are tough enough even though they have Micheal Haley, Stu Bickel, even Brian Boyle, not to mention, a lot of their guys are pretty big and mean...but then lost in the panic is the fact that the Senators have Chris Neil and Zack Smith and that didn't do anything to prevent Karlsson from getting hurt...so I wasn't sure how losing Mike Rupp made them more susceptible to skate cuts...

Then the article just throws crap at you..."Lindback is playing poorly" - ok, the guy is just looking at stats and taking a guess, whatever... "I'm just now realizing that John Tavares is good" - yeah, cool, welcome to 18 months ago when he became a star; and to start the article off is (describing Karlsson): "NHL’s most exciting offensive defensemen since perhaps Nicklas Lidstrom in his prime." ...this one is a direct quote...how have you never seen Nicklas Lidstrom play though? He wasn't an offensive defenseman, nor was he really "exciting" ...I love defense, maybe more than anyone and I love Lidstrom because he's one of the smartest players I've ever seen...but even to a guy that thinks 0-0 is more exciting than 6-6 like me, never would I describe Lidstrom as "exciting" ...I mean, if you can't tell the difference in play style between Erik Karlsson and Nicklas Lidstrom, then we have a serious, serious problem.

Granted, that's one guy, one article and I don't want to paint the whole site with one stroke. There are some quality people there, I think two members here (one regular) write for them...they do great work with the NHL Draft stuff, so good that I've pushed Hockey's Future into upping their game, but, whatever...

I just didn't think I fit in very well at THW...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 pm

*cough* Ian Moran *cough*
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 pm

L O L, even the great scott bowman had to prove who was the in power by trying out Paul Coffey at wing.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 pm

penny lane wrote:L O L, even the great scott bowman had to prove who was the in power by trying out Paul Coffey at wing.

was coffey even on the bowman pens?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Froggy wrote:
penny lane wrote:L O L, even the great scott bowman had to prove who was the in power by trying out Paul Coffey at wing.

was coffey even on the bowman pens?

Coffey was dealt at the deadline in 92, which was Bowman's first season coaching the team. So yes, for part of one season.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 am

That was awful. Does Colligan still write over there? He's pretty solid.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:11 pm

mikey287 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Articles like this are why "journalism" is now populated by under-educated, self-promoting idiots. If you don't get paid, it's not your job. If you get paid for garbage like that, then your boss should be fired.

If it's tongue-in-cheek, it isn't funny. If it's serious.....

That is 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Felt the same way and promptly left that same establishment. I thought it was just me being a stubborn baby, but something about the place rubbed me the wrong way. All of the headlines are so "National Enquirer" ...I get that you're trying to draw people in, but I guess the headlines just aren't designed to get me to click on them. If a headline asks a question, I answer it and don't click the link. "Should the Penguins trade Evgeni Malkin?" I'll see it, say, "no" and move on...having a stupid idea doesn't make me want to click on a link...but for some reason, that puts me in the minority...

They had one, I think it was just a couple games into the season, "Why the Oilers should trade Nail Yakupov" - but inside, IIRC, it was mostly reasons why the Oilers shouldn't trade Yakupov...if the headline is just designed to draw in hits, then why don't you take a page from those ads you see all the time now.

"3 Easy Ways to Boost Testosterone" and then when click it, it's about Gary Roberts' offseason boot camps...or "Sexy Russian Singles Want You to Buy Them...so they can get their green card, what do you care..." and it can be a list of the 10 best Russians in the game today or something...

I'll spare you, this is me whining about another article from the site, it was pretty unnecessary for me to pick on, but when I get on a roll...whatever...
Spoiler:
I don't want to bad mouth a place I just left because that's not cool, but certain things just irked me like this article: http://thehockeywriters.com/do-rangers- ... es-of-nhl/

If you don't want to click (and for your own good, you probably shouldn't), the headline is clear in the url.

It's a bunch of blah blah about some guy not understanding hockey...it asks if the Rangers are tough enough even though they have Micheal Haley, Stu Bickel, even Brian Boyle, not to mention, a lot of their guys are pretty big and mean...but then lost in the panic is the fact that the Senators have Chris Neil and Zack Smith and that didn't do anything to prevent Karlsson from getting hurt...so I wasn't sure how losing Mike Rupp made them more susceptible to skate cuts...

Then the article just throws crap at you..."Lindback is playing poorly" - ok, the guy is just looking at stats and taking a guess, whatever... "I'm just now realizing that John Tavares is good" - yeah, cool, welcome to 18 months ago when he became a star; and to start the article off is (describing Karlsson): "NHL’s most exciting offensive defensemen since perhaps Nicklas Lidstrom in his prime." ...this one is a direct quote...how have you never seen Nicklas Lidstrom play though? He wasn't an offensive defenseman, nor was he really "exciting" ...I love defense, maybe more than anyone and I love Lidstrom because he's one of the smartest players I've ever seen...but even to a guy that thinks 0-0 is more exciting than 6-6 like me, never would I describe Lidstrom as "exciting" ...I mean, if you can't tell the difference in play style between Erik Karlsson and Nicklas Lidstrom, then we have a serious, serious problem.

Granted, that's one guy, one article and I don't want to paint the whole site with one stroke. There are some quality people there, I think two members here (one regular) write for them...they do great work with the NHL Draft stuff, so good that I've pushed Hockey's Future into upping their game, but, whatever...

I just didn't think I fit in very well at THW...

Its the same thing Bleacher Report does. SEO-based "journalism." The piece doesn't even advocate moving him to wing in reality, and the thrust is he's been poor defensively. But that doesn't get clicks/talked about, so you sensationalize the headline and generate more clicks.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:No. Everyone knows it's Orpik that should be moved to forward. ( :lol: )

He already spends enough time in the high slot... :slug: :scared:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Oh boy. You just got beat by the turd....

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... son/56033/

turd wrote:For now disregard any trade talk centering around Letang and ridiculous talk on the internet of whether the Penguin should move Letang to wing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:26 am

blurryhaze312 wrote:Oh boy. You just got beat by the turd....

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... son/56033/

turd wrote:For now disregard any trade talk centering around Letang and ridiculous talk on the internet of whether the Penguin should move Letang to wing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Then turd says to trade Bennett and Niskanen for Jack Johnson and a role player from CBJ. :lol:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... eam/55964/
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins