Trade Rumors 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 pm

The Penguins have a number of young defensemen in their organization who are drawing interest, but we’ll see just how keen Shero is to divest himself of any of them for a rental player. As I reported last week and it’s been reported elsewhere, the Penguins are believed to have interest in Flames winger Jarome Iginla . . . . But it’s going to have to be a sensible price for Shero to make any kind of trade this season. There’s some realization in Pittsburgh that you can’t trade away future assets year after year.


Nothing earth shattering, but still an enlightening article in terms of how the market is looking right now:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... could-land

Shero is a funny guy.

"You’re talking to teams, obviously, and you say, 'If you have interest in moving Pierre LeBrun, let us know.' That’s the stage it’s at now. That’s what I’ve found anyway," Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

I told Shero he could get Pierre LeBrun for a bag of pucks and he suggested at least future considerations.

Last edited by meecrofilm on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,868
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Pitts wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:this iginla sweepstakes is gonna get reeeeal annoying. i still haven't heard anyone come up with a trade proposal that both sides could possibly accept

No one has any idea what Calgary would want. Why would it be on fans to come up with a trade? Trade rumors are what they are.

Personally, I think Despres and a 1st should do it.

Why would you trade 2 first round draft piscks for a 35 year old that you might not be able to re-sign after the season?

Because I can.


that's why i deliberately added "that both sides could possibly accept". shero isn't going to put depres, bennett, morrow, pouliot, harrington or doumolin in an iginla package. that pretty much disqualifies us from this whole thing right off the bat.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:05 pm

pens_CT wrote:Can't argue with that logic

:thumb: :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,594
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:07 pm

shmenguin wrote:shero isn't going to put depres, bennett, morrow, pouliot, harrington or doumolin in an iginla package. that pretty much disqualifies us from this whole thing right off the bat.

Did you get that in writing from Shero? Why wouldn't he? What is your reasoning? What is your offer?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,594
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Well a top winger in a his prime and a 3rd liner were once had for

Armstrong, Christensen, a high prospect, and a first rounder


You'd have to think Iginla will cost less than two third liners, a top prospect, and a top pick... Now Corey Perry on the other hand.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,030
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:shero isn't going to put depres, bennett, morrow, pouliot, harrington or doumolin in an iginla package. that pretty much disqualifies us from this whole thing right off the bat.

Did you get that in writing from Shero? Why wouldn't he? What is your reasoning? What is your offer?


iginla is nothing more than a rental. even if he wanted to re-sign here in july, it will be impossible to work the cap around his next contract. you may think that shero would trade one of those guys for 2 months of service from a 35 year-old, but i have a very hard time believing that.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Well a top winger in a his prime and a 3rd liner were once had for

Armstrong, Christensen, a high prospect, and a first rounder


You'd have to think Iginla will cost less than two third liners, a top prospect, and a top pick... Now Corey Perry on the other hand.


the problem with this model as it relates to this current situation, is that we don't even have any forwards to trade with the value of armstrong or even christensen. what do we have...kennedy? a guy who has tapped out all his potential and is having a poor season. not to mention he's a free agent.

also, all the guys i mentioned are better prospects than esposito was at the time.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:shero isn't going to put depres, bennett, morrow, pouliot, harrington or doumolin in an iginla package. that pretty much disqualifies us from this whole thing right off the bat.

Did you get that in writing from Shero? Why wouldn't he? What is your reasoning? What is your offer?


iginla is nothing more than a rental. even if he wanted to re-sign here in july, it will be impossible to work the cap around his next contract. you may think that shero would trade one of those guys for 2 months of service from a 35 year-old, but i have a very hard time believing that.


I agree that iginla is likely a rental, but it's not like Shero hasn't done it before. Esposito (20th overall) and a 1st (plus armstrong and christiansen) for 2 months of Hossa and Dupuis. He would definitely move a 1st round pick and a top prospect for the right price. Clearly Esposito wasn't as good of a prospect as the others, but it certainly wasn't clear he was a bust.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:we don't even have any forwards to trade with the value of armstrong or even christensen.

Sorry, but that sounds like Kennedy and Jeffrey to me. Or Cooke and Jeffery.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,594
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:we don't even have any forwards to trade with the value of armstrong or even christensen.

Sorry, but that sounds like Kennedy and Jeffrey to me. Or Cooke and Jeffery.


kennedy has no value right now. well, certainly not nearly as much as armstrong did at the time. as a pending UFA, cooke is worthless to a non-playoff team. and jeffery hasn't done anything in the NHL, while christensen, at worst, was worth a gamble as an established shoot out specialist.

we have no middle class players to use as currency. all of our guys are either worthless in a trade or they're coveted by the organization. niskanen is the only guy i can think of who maybe fall in between. maybe.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:32 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:this iginla sweepstakes is gonna get reeeeal annoying. i still haven't heard anyone come up with a trade proposal that both sides could possibly accept

No one has any idea what Calgary would want. Why would it be on fans to come up with a trade? Trade rumors are what they are.

Personally, I think Despres and a 1st should do it.

Why would you trade 2 first round draft piscks for a 35 year old that you might not be able to re-sign after the season?

If you're convinced Iginla is the piece that moves this from contender to Cup-winner, then yes, you make the trade.

I don't think he does, so I don't make that trade. I think those assets can be better used for other returns that are needed more elsewhere.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,279
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 am
Location: its like bologna with olives in it

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Rylan wrote:
slappybrown wrote:FYI, this is a pretty helpful addition to the capgeek site:

http://capgeek.com/trade-machine/


Kennedy for Iginla, Glencross, and Cammalleri. Looks good to me.


Click the button harder... I think that's the secret code... :fist:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,909
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 pm

So long as Cammalleri doesn't move East and play us in the playoffs, I will be happy. Flashbacks to that MTL series...
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,279
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 am
Location: its like bologna with olives in it

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm

slappybrown wrote:So long as Cammalleri doesn't move East and play us in the playoffs, I will be happy. Flashbacks to that MTL series...

u mad bro?
Image
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:38 pm

More sad than mad. I'm a sad bro re: that series.

EDIT: Man, look at those fans in the background. REPEAT ABORTED.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,279
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 am
Location: its like bologna with olives in it

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Cammalleri's face in that picture is just about the biggest "F you" ever put on the internet.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby beLIEve on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Iginla has a no movement clause. That significantly decreases his value down based on the amount of teams he'd be willing to go play for. The shorter that list, the less of a bidding war there will be for his services and as such, the less you'll have to give up to get him.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:28 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Brugrabud on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:44 pm

"I just wanted to stop play and thought Fleury would save it"
Brugrabud
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Ashburn, VA

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Pens are second in goals/game, 20th in goals against. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fe ... me=summary)


Yeah, lets get another goal scorer!
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,002
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Pens are second in goals/game, 20th in goals against. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fe ... me=summary)
Yeah, lets get another goal scorer!

The thought on Iginla isn't as a goal scorer, but rather a long in the tooth veteran who can get these young rabble-rousers to settle down and play correct hockey to win a Cup. You know, the talk of a new Bill Guerin? I think that is just as important as a defensive upgrade and may be all they really need. This team has it in them. They've just lost focus.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,594
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby no name on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:23 pm

We don't need scoring, get me a defensive forward in place of Kennedy and a defensive defenceman in place of Niskanin.

If we could get a scoirng forward i would take Clarke McAuthur... he is a Kunitz v2.0 in my book.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,778
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Well a top winger in a his prime and a 3rd liner were once had for

Armstrong, Christensen, a high prospect, and a first rounder


You'd have to think Iginla will cost less than two third liners, a top prospect, and a top pick... Now Corey Perry on the other hand.


Why would Anaheim trade Perry?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,278
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Buccobruce on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Because it seems like he wants to test free agency and they don't want to lose him for nothing like they did Justin Schultz. Even though they are in 2nd place in the West.

But last night on Sportsnet they brought up an interesting loophole. Saying teams might get more back in trading a ufa then they did before in a sign and trade deal like the Nba because the team can sign him for 8 years while his new team can only sign him for 7. That could lead to Murray keeping Scorey Perry and going for it one more time. NHL didnt seem pleased with this loophool.
Buccobruce
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: CBG, PA

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:37 pm

On the other side of the coin, there have been rumors that Iginla wants to stay in the West, which means he would not be interested in joining the Penguins and half of this thread is irrelevant.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,569
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Forget Iginla... Rental and maybe will cost too much. Shero get us Glencross,Pominville or Stafford,then someone like Ott or Chimera,the maybe someone like Hall Gill..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,018
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


e-mail