Trade Rumors 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Forget Iginla... Rental and maybe will cost too much. Shero get us Glencross,Pominville or Stafford,then someone like Ott or Chimera,the maybe someone like Hall Gill..

I've heard a lot of people talk about getting a shutdown D-man. IMO, there isn't one soon to be UFA that I would want. Which means the Pens would have to go the James Neal route and pony up an asset to gain an asset. If thats the case, all bets are off on who Shero wants. I dont believe anyone saw the Neal trade coming.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:05 pm

For those wondering why we need a top 6 forward, it's not for goal scoring. It's to help create the type of game we are missing especially in the playoffs.

We need some grit on those top two lines. Some cycle some defense and so forth.

Having a rotating top line wing position is t good anyways. We need someone in that spot.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 pm

How are we supposed to afford a new top 6 forward next year and the year after when letang and malkin get raises?

Anyone?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:13 pm

shmenguin wrote:How are we supposed to afford a new top 6 forward next year and the year after when letang and malkin get raises?

Anyone?

Not sure anyone said we could? I believe most are referring to this years trade deadline.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Highly doubt Malkin gets a raise. He is already making 8.7 million as is Crosby. I can't see him wanting to be the highest paid player on the team. Letang on the other hand, will get a raise
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
shmenguin wrote:How are we supposed to afford a new top 6 forward next year and the year after when letang and malkin get raises?

Anyone?

Not sure anyone said we could? I believe most are referring to this years trade deadline.

Malkin makes 8.7 right now, even if he goes up to 10 million its only 1.3 million more to our cap.
Letang makes 3.5 i can see him making 6 million thats 2.5 million more a year.

So after giving thoes 2 big raises, you added 3.8 onto your cap. Trade Kennedy frees up 2 million get a bargin basement 1 milllion guy for his spot. I think you can add a player with a little salary not a huge ammount though.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Anyone?

Not sure anyone said we could?

The last post on page 6 says oh hai.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Forget Iginla... Rental and maybe will cost too much. Shero get us Glencross,Pominville or Stafford,then someone like Ott or Chimera,the maybe someone like Hall Gill..

I've heard a lot of people talk about getting a shutdown D-man. IMO, there isn't one soon to be UFA that I would want. Which means the Pens would have to go the James Neal route and pony up an asset to gain an asset. If thats the case, all bets are off on who Shero wants. I dont believe anyone saw the Neal trade coming.

Not highly touted, but if Shero went for Pominville or Stafford in Buffalo the he may try for Mike Weber as well. Solid bottom pairing defensive defenseman. One of the best Corsi ratings on the Sabres, averaging a little over 18:00 per game with over 3:00 per game on the PK (2nd highest on the team).
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:For those wondering why we need a top 6 forward, it's not for goal scoring. It's to help create the type of game we are missing especially in the playoffs.

We need some grit on those top two lines. Some cycle some defense and so forth.

Having a rotating top line wing position is t good anyways. We need someone in that spot.

:thumb: People who miss this don't understand how important momentum is in a hockey game, I'm guessing.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Anyone?

Not sure anyone said we could?

The last post on page 6 says oh hai.

Chimera signed through next year. Pominville signed through next year. Ott signed through next year. All those contracts would be up when malkin and letang get raises.

Glencross signed for two more years at 2.5mil. Cheap for a top six forward.

Stafford would be the one I have a problem with. I can't believe he gets 4mil.

So, not seeing the problem with Tang and Malkin (and Sutter) getting raises and fitting under the cap after next year.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joker10277 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:this iginla sweepstakes is gonna get reeeeal annoying. i still haven't heard anyone come up with a trade proposal that both sides could possibly accept

No one has any idea what Calgary would want. Why would it be on fans to come up with a trade? Trade rumors are what they are.

Personally, I think Despres and a 1st should do it.

No way RS should give either of those up for Iginla let alone both. Wait till the off season and sign him.
Scoring is not their issue, playing defense is.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby owtahear on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Pitts wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:Pens are second in goals/game, 20th in goals against. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fe ... me=summary)
Yeah, lets get another goal scorer!

The thought on Iginla isn't as a goal scorer, but rather a long in the tooth veteran who can get these young rabble-rousers to settle down and play correct hockey to win a Cup. You know, the talk of a new Bill Guerin? I think that is just as important as a defensive upgrade and may be all they really need. This team has it in them. They've just lost focus.

Yeah and again, it is about also strengthening the 3rd line and possibly 4th line. It is balancing out the team a bit, making more difficult to match up against, let alone play against. Not to mention a veteran leader who no doubt would be motivated to win a cup at this stage of his career more than anything. The Flames haven't been a real contender in years.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm

@HockeyyInsiderr: From #Pens upper management source Despres has been offered in a package for Jack Johnson. #CONFIRMED Ball in #CBJ court.

Not to put much belief into this, but I assume most would be unhappy? He then followed it by saying that if Bennett was included, it's a done deal.

Thoughts if this was actually true? (I'm not an advocate of hockeyinsider at all, just for conversation)

We all know Shero loves him some American players! JJ is American. I hope this isn't true, Despres is gonna be special.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Despres & Bennett for Jack Johnson?

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:21 pm

I wouldn't be stunned if despres was moved but would be stunned that it would be for any less than a top 6 forward or a longish term cap friendly contract to strengthen the back end.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scals37 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

murphydump55 wrote:@HockeyyInsiderr: From #Pens upper management source Despres has been offered in a package for Jack Johnson. #CONFIRMED Ball in #CBJ court.

Not to put much belief into this, but I assume most would be unhappy? He then followed it by saying that if Bennett was included, it's a done deal.

Thoughts if this was actually true? (I'm not an advocate of hockeyinsider at all, just for conversation)

We all know Shero loves him some American players! JJ is American. I hope this isn't true, Despres is gonna be special.

bennett AND despres?? where's the vomit button.....
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Quoting HockeyyyyyInsiderrrrrr should be a ban-able offense.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby scals37 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Is there anyone out there that supports the idea of getting J-Johnson? I'd prefer to hear some positives about getting him before I wake up to a trade alert text sometime soon
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:26 pm

FWIW with the Jack Johnson rumor(s):

GM Jarmo Kekalainen on rumors of D Jack Johnson trade to Pittsburgh: "It's silly. I don't usually repond to this kind of stuff, but this is just silly. I went to watch a game. (Pens GM) Ray Shero is a friend of mine.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 pm

scals37 wrote:Is there anyone out there that supports the idea of getting J-Johnson? I'd prefer to hear some positives about getting him before I wake up to a trade alert text sometime soon

He can play some mean blues.

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:39 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Ladiaslav Smid ring a bell? He might be on market if Oil can't sign.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:49 pm

If they trade Despres and Bennett for anyone I'm just going to stop watching.

This is the same thing that happened in the 90s with C.P. Stopped developing youth correctly, didn't give anyone a chance to be a rookie. Ruined the development...

I hope this is a big joke.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Nizzy wrote:If they trade Despres and Bennett for anyone I'm just going to stop watching.

This is the same thing that happened in the 90s with C.P. Stopped developing youth correctly, didn't give anyone a chance to be a rookie. Ruined the development...

I hope this is a big joke.

Agreed!!
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:03 pm

If we give up anything let alone Depres for JJ I am going to start the fire RS thread.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't see the parallels to CP and the 90s, tbh.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins