Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Trade Rumors 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby since1970 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:13 am

2 weeks til the deadline and there's been nothing of note from anyone. Hasn't been any juicy rumors or talk around the league to make this fun. Thanks shortened schedule......
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:16 am

Iginla has been getting discussed since 'nam.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:21 am

Steve Dave wrote:1st, Maata and Jeffrey
Add Dumoulin if it means Bos won't get Iginla. You have to also look at it this way. This is a year that the Pens could have a relatively easy road to the Cup Finals. Boston looks to be their only real threat. If landing Iginla makes you stronger and keeps Boston from getting stronger, you have to go for it.

Is Iginla still that good to offer all that for 20 games and playoffs. I bet there are 3 or 4 players out there that i could trade that package for and get a player who has a few years under contract.

I do understand getting Iginla so he doesn't strenghten our competition. But again is he still that good that he could do that?
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:25 am

If I were Shero, I wouldn't offer a first round pick unless it was a conditional pick (1st if he resigns with us). Unlike Hossa, Iggy is old and isn't worth a flat out first in the package.

Luckily for us, I'm not Shero so I'm going to trust whatever he does/doesn't do.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

no name wrote:
Add Dumoulin if it means Bos won't get Iginla. You have to also look at it this way. This is a year that the Pens could have a relatively easy road to the Cup Finals. Boston looks to be their only real threat. If landing Iginla makes you stronger and keeps Boston from getting stronger, you have to go for it.

Is Iginla still that good to offer all that for 20 games and playoffs. I bet there are 3 or 4 players out there that i could trade that package for and get a player who has a few years under contract.

I do understand getting Iginla so he doesn't strenghten our competition. But again is he still that good that he could do that?

Who says the Pens want someone with a few years of contract? They have like 10 million in cap space next year and 16 people signed. I want them to get a pure rental.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

We can't acquire anyone worth acquiring that has "a few years under contract," unless we give up someone with a "a few years under contract."
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:35 am

Feaster is on thin ice as it is. He will be looking for a huge overpayment on Iggy no doubt-it sounds counterintuitive but losing him for a few mediocre assets is probably worse than just keeping him...not to mention the Flames are what, in 14th place but 2 wins out of a playoff spot?

As for MSL...yes please. Trade our entire set of picks for this years draft for the guy, I don't care. Throw in our zamboni driver. Maybe a few signed copies of Sudden Death. I would cry tears of joy seeing him skate in a Penguins sweater in the playoffs.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 am

If Tampa trades that guy, they should just prepare to move. The fans they have would light themselves on fire in protest.

EDIT: Maybe that would be a better protest for Calgary.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Mike Komisarik for free might be worth a hard look. Lost his way in Toronto when he was a very promising guy... I don't know if he could regain form but he can't be nearly as bad as he was up there can he?

Edit: don't like that salary for next year though.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:04 pm

No thanks. We have a cheaper version of Komi with Engo and, as you note, without the major commitment.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TKovacs2 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:10 pm

From Scott Burnside in their ESPN chat...

"This is no slight against Jarome Iginla but what team will give up a first and a prospect or a young NHL-ready player for a guy with seven goals? That's the dilemma in Pittsburgh, I think, given that he's really not more than a third line guy there if the Pens are healthy. Might be further up the depth chart in Boston but not much."

Interesting thought. We've discussed how there isn't much room here on the surface in the top six for him here, but I hadn't thought about that applying to Boston as well.
TKovacs2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 pm

I have already talked myself out of Iginla to Pittsburgh.

We need crease clearing dman and a guy like Brendan Morrow to beef up our 3rd line.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Yeah, Boston's main vacancy is third line right wing. Something that our favorite waiver wire washout Chris Bourque tried and failed at and now Jordan Caron (a player I kind of like actually) is giving it a go. The Bruins depth is impressive and has few holes.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, Boston's main vacancy is third line right wing. Something that our favorite waiver wire washout Chris Bourque tried and failed at and now Jordan Caron (a player I kind of like actually) is giving it a go. The Bruins depth is impressive and has few holes.

Christian Hanson should be given a shot.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, Boston's main vacancy is third line right wing. Something that our favorite waiver wire washout Chris Bourque tried and failed at and now Jordan Caron (a player I kind of like actually) is giving it a go. The Bruins depth is impressive and has few holes.

...and also missing their 3rd line center as well. (Kelly)

Where is Iginla going to fit in their top 6? They're very similar to us. Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, Seguin, Marchand....why would they need Iginla?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Because they can, basically. They have the assets and sometimes they slump offensively. This gives them a jolt. I mean, we don't need him either. But here we are...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:30 pm

no name wrote:

Yes. He would be a Guerin/Hossa hybrid.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm

I think if you replace Bennett or Dupuis with Iginla and drop them down to the third line.... that adds some major forward depth
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby sil on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:37 pm

You can look at it so many ways, but I'm boiling it down to, Joe Morrow (or Olli Maatta, or whoever) and a 1st for Jarome Iginla makes the 2013 pens better and tougher to play against. Better down the road, probably not, but we also thought the world was over when Hossa signed elsewhere.

Simon Despres and a first for Iginla...I'm not so sure we're better.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Godric wrote:I think if you replace Bennett or Dupuis with Iginla and drop them down to the third line.... that adds some major forward depth

The whole thing with Dupuis moving, is that you've basically rewarded him with third line duties, especially when he's producing at a better clip than Iginla.

If I'm Dupuis, I'd be super mad.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 pm

I thought the Pens were going to be better off when Hossa signed elsewhere. And he is one of my favorite players.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TKovacs2 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Godric wrote:I think if you replace Bennett or Dupuis with Iginla and drop them down to the third line.... that adds some major forward depth

I just don't understand this line of thought (not picking on you at all in particular).

We have the NHL's highest scoring team. We have the NHL's highest scoring line on top of that. The second line at full health is fantastic as well.

Why screw with that at all, especially when the cost to add a capable top 6 winger is projected to be so high this year? Why rock the boat with Crosby's line? Bennett is really coming into his own and certainly isn't hurting us on that second line.

Go get Morrow for the 3rd line. Go get Smid to play top 4 or 6. Go get a guy like Nate Thompson for the 4th line.

I'd rather overpay for a guy like Smid who's only 27 with a year left on his deal than for Iginla. And I say that while fully admitting I love Iginla. I just don't love him at his rumored cost or in our top 6.
TKovacs2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Would anyone be shocked if Iginla re-signs w/ CGY in the summer? That's the main reason I don't want to part with a ton to bring him here, certainly not a 1st rounder or anyone considered to be one of their top 5 prospects or so.

Even if they do get him a a decent price, I still don't see how you break up that top line. I don't see how anyone could reasonably expect a line of Kunitz, Crosby, and Iginla to outperform what they're doing with Dupuis there. If something's working out as well as that is, don't mess with it.

It would make more sense to play him in Bennett's spot, move Bennett down with Sutter and Cooke, then play TK on the 4th (assuming he isn't part of the deal). That's not to say Bennett's done anything to warrant a demotion either; in fact, I've been really impressed with him to this point. I just think that of the two routes, this make more sense.

And the whole Sid/Iggy thing is overblown IMO. They played together for most of one tournament. Kunitz and Dupuis spent more time on the ice with him during the lockout at Southpointe.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 pm

netwolf wrote:Would anyone be shocked if Iginla re-signs w/ CGY in the summer? That's the main reason I don't want to part with a ton to bring him here, certainly not a 1st rounder or anyone considered to be one of their top 5 prospects or so.

Even if they do get him a a decent price, I still don't see how you break up that top line. I don't see how anyone could reasonably expect a line of Kunitz, Crosby, and Iginla to outperform what they're doing with Dupuis there. If something's working out as well as that is, don't mess with it.

It would make more sense to play him in Bennett's spot, move Bennett down with Sutter and Cooke, then play TK on the 4th (assuming he isn't part of the deal). That's not to say Bennett's done anything to warrant a demotion either; in fact, I've been really impressed with him to this point. I just think that of the two routes, this make more sense.

And the whole Sid/Iggy thing is overblown IMO. They played together for most of one tournament. Kunitz and Dupuis spent more time on the ice with him during the lockout at Southpointe.

The problem is that Iginla can't play left wing. You could move Neal back there since he played LW in Dallas, but that would seem to make even less sense for the same reasons you say you wouldn't break up the first line; why ruin what Geno/Neal do with the current setup with him on the right.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:26 pm

I just don't think we need Iginla, he doesn't have that much left in his tank to give up so many assets to get him for so short of a time. Bring in a typical 3rd liner who has some playoff experience.

I have been fighting the urgh to say Talbot, but hey he wouldn't be a bad fit for what we need and the price we would like to spend. Another guy i would love is Cal Cutterback but i not heard his name is any rumors. But a Clowe or MacAuthur would be a great depth signing as well as giving Sutter some talent to work with. ANd in case someones game goes south or an injury occures, you got a guy you can plug into a top 6 roll.

But at the very least a solid 5 or 6 defenceman, and a upgrade for the bottom 6 forward group. We used to get big game changin goals from thoes lines we are getting nothing thi syear from them.. yeah yeah i know Vitalie scored the other night but that is few and far between.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins