Trade Rumors 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:45 pm

I don't think the Jackets would be too high on giving up Boll or Mackenzie, though. Don't really have many guys who can provide what those 2 provide to that team.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Certainly not unfair, but you never know with a new sheriff in town what kind of laws are enforced...if he wants to keep grinders and give up some higher end players with potential...I'd love me some Matt Calvert...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:54 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
joe icepick wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:According to Russo, Pierre-Marc Bouchard is most likely going to be traded. Could be someone we are looking at.

Who is Russo?...I think we end up with Murray and Nystrom.

Sorry, it's Michael Russo, Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Russo's legit...one of the good ones, imo.

I get more nervous at a trade deadline or start of FA than I do waiting to hear of the birth of a loved one's baby!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:58 pm

mikey287 wrote:Certainly not unfair, but you never know with a new sheriff in town what kind of laws are enforced...if he wants to keep grinders and give up some higher end players with potential...I'd love me some Matt Calvert...

I don't think they'd be too high on giving up Calvert either :lol:

I think, at least for the rest of this year, they're basing the team around hard work and effort. Boll and Mackenzie, though they are 4th liners, provide that. They do exactly what a 4th line should: go in, create some havoc, wear down the other team, score if you can. I don't really see why Jarmo would be wanting to move these guys out before the year is over (because the Blue Jackets are still in it). They also have Boll and Mackenzie signed through next year, so we'll see what happens over the offseason, I guess.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:13 pm

I would put a claim on Dvořák. He's never lived up to his offensive potential, but he's very responsible defensively.
Please RS, if Calgary is having a firesale, please get us some JordanO!!!!
And if there's an Ott/Pecca type player available, get em and were good 2 go.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:18 pm

I also like Dvorak, but it's not a classy move to put in a claim for a guy like that. Doesn't seem like a Shero move.

Fox Sports Detroit fired Larry Murphy from their broadcast team, he's awful, but maybe Root Sports signs him and that'll be our deadline move.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:24 pm

mikey287 wrote:I also like Dvorak, but it's not a classy move to put in a claim for a guy like that. Doesn't seem like a Shero move.

Fox Sports Detroit fired Larry Murphy from their broadcast team, he's awful, but maybe Root Sports signs him and that'll be our deadline move.

adding another dman like Murphy is definitely a Shero move.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcmforless on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:42 pm

mikey287 wrote: Either way, that's just a matter of moving Engelland to wing, problem solved there.

This actually seems like a good idea, have Engelland replace Glass on the 4th line, plus he could fill in if a D-Man gets hurt during a game in the playoffs. Maybe an experiment to try?
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens#1 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:48 pm

mikey287 wrote:I also like Dvorak, but it's not a classy move to put in a claim for a guy like that. Doesn't seem like a Shero move.

What is the story with Dvorak that Shero wouldn't claim him?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:55 pm

bhaw wrote:

adding another dman like Murphy is definitely a Shero move.

E5: Steigerwald for Murphy... Do it RS!!!!!
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:57 pm

pcmforless wrote:
mikey287 wrote: Either way, that's just a matter of moving Engelland to wing, problem solved there.

This actually seems like a good idea, have Engelland replace Glass on the 4th line, plus he could fill in if a D-Man gets hurt during a game in the playoffs. Maybe an experiment to try?

Engo would suit 4th line wing IMO, adds size and toughness, would be naturally defensively aware, possibly quicker than Adams and Glass in a straight line and can get his slapper off from the right wing. It also removes him from being the most obvious liability on the Pens D - so addition by subtraction!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:58 pm

To hell with being "collegial". If you want a player off the waiver wire, grab him.
LL didn't hesitate on that one.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:01 pm

pens#1 wrote:

What is the story with Dvorak that Shero wouldn't claim him?

Ah, just gentleman's agreement type stuff. Though, maybe in today's marketplace that doesn't hold as much value because there's 29 other teams you can deal with...but I don't think it's looked too highly upon when you claim a player that someone else signed like that. It happened to us (kind of) with Kostopoulos...basically one team does the leg work and another team reaps the benefits...again, not at all unheard of, it just doesn't seem like something Shero would do...especially to a team that he robbed in the past...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:05 pm

The Islanders did that with Nabokov...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Right, which I mentioned before, the Isles are also responsible for about 80% of all waiver claims in the league. It also happened with Randy Robitaille (of all people) some years ago...that doesn't mean that it's widely accepted as good business though.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:11 pm

mikey287 wrote:Right, which I mentioned before, the Isles are also responsible for about 80% of all waiver claims in the league. It also happened with Randy Robitaille (of all people) some years ago...that doesn't mean that it's widely accepted as good business though.

If it's so bad, then don't require the players to go through that waiver process.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 pm

~That actually sounds like a great idea (moving Engelland to wing), though I doubt that he'd be too thrilled about it, which sortof makes it moot.

~Now that Iginla's put himself on the market, the speculation will begin. I think he goes to the B's, who will outbid us, knowing they need to compete with our offensive firepower.

~My ideal lineup going into the playoffs would be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Bennett
Vitale-Jeffrey-Adams

Letang-Despres
Orpik-Martin
Regehr-Niskanen

Ex: Glass, Eaton, Engelland
(Kennedy + conditional for Morrow, 2nd for Regehr)
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15 pm

columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Right, which I mentioned before, the Isles are also responsible for about 80% of all waiver claims in the league. It also happened with Randy Robitaille (of all people) some years ago...that doesn't mean that it's widely accepted as good business though.

If it's so bad, then don't require the players to go through that waiver process.

Again, it's not "so bad" like OMG how could you? As I previously said, if it's a guy you're really gonna use and it'll be a huge upgrade, sure, go for it. But you don't pluck a player just to scratch him really in this situation. I'm just not sure Shero thinks this will be a big enough upgrade to put in a claim, that's all.

And the waiver process in this instance is a very good idea, especially in the cap era. It should not be done away with.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:17 pm

mikey287 wrote:
And the waiver process in this instance is a very good idea, especially in the cap era. It should not be done away with.

Then don't be bothered when the process is followed, ie GMs pluck players from other teams.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:21 pm

pcm wrote:~That actually sounds like a great idea (moving Engelland to wing), though I doubt that he'd be too thrilled about it, which sortof makes it moot.

~Now that Iginla's put himself on the market, the speculation will begin. I think he goes to the B's, who will outbid us, knowing they need to compete with our offensive firepower.

~My ideal lineup going into the playoffs would be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Bennett
Vitale-Jeffrey-Adams

Letang-Despres
Orpik-Martin
Regehr-Niskanen

Ex: Glass, Eaton, Engelland
(Kennedy + conditional for Morrow, 2nd for Regehr)

I don't see Morrow keeping up with HCDB style of play. Whoever you add to Geno's line has to be willing to play defense, something neither Malkin nor Neal are really good at. Not sure that Morrow is the answer there.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:22 pm

columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Then don't be bothered when the process is followed, ie GMs pluck players from other teams.

I think it's a "pick your battles" thing. For the Isles and Nabokov, they really needed a stable goalie, so it's worth that risk. But how badly do we really need a Dvorak? Is it worth pissing off a potential trade partner to claim a guy who would be in and out of the lineup at best?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:24 pm

bhaw wrote:
columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

I think it's a "pick your battles" thing. For the Isles and Nabokov, they really needed a stable goalie, so it's worth that risk. But how badly do we really need a Dvorak? Is it worth pissing off a potential trade partner to claim a guy who would be in and out of the lineup at best?

I don't care about Dvorak...it's about the process.
You can't have a rule that only applies to certain players.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:24 pm

columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Huh? I'm not bothered. I'm just trying to explain that this isn't a video game, it's a business. And there's more that goes into something even as simple as a waiver claim than just hitting a button. Do we even have a roster spot for Dvorak? Wouldn't we have to send down Bennett when everyone is healthy to accommodate this?

And regarding the rule itself, it can be a check without being tested. No one will go through the effort of signing, say, Aleksey Morozov for 2 months for a playoff run when they know that someone will just claim him to prevent a ringer from coming in. That's the point of the rule...the Ruotsalainen Rule, that is.

In the cap era especially, a team with good European relations, like Detroit could keep close contact with a player over in Sweden and then at the trade deadline sign him (so there's only a pro-rated portion of his salary against the cap and there's no roster restrictions after the deadline, IIRC) and bring him in as free depth just to have him leave on July 1. It's cap circumvention and this rule helps prevent that. Even without it being fully utilized (that is, the signing and subsequent claiming of a player).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:25 pm

See above.

You can't pick and choose how to apply the rules.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:29 pm

I don't get your beef, honestly. The rule is the same regardless, but the GMs will generally apply caution in certain situations. That's like asking why the Pens don't go out and actively target a division team as a trade partner for a major trade. The rule is that you can trade with anyone but trading within a division is pretty minimal.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins