Trade Rumors 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:58 pm

praxitas wrote:I would personally prefer 1st rounder and prospect (providing were talking about the usual suspects Morrow, Harrington Despres) go to someone that won't retire within the next two years. Yes, he may help this year, but if I had my choice I'd take a look at some other players that could be had at a lesser price.

It will be interesting to see who the sellers will be. Florida and Columbus look like their hopes of being in contention are slim to non, but most others are within 4 points of the 8 seed. With the shorten season everyone is clumped together by a couple of points. Would Calgary even move him if they are close to a playoff spot?

If Colorado starts to slide, what about Hedjuk as a cheaper veteran alternative to Iginla? Of course he would need to agree to it due to a NMC, but he has a 2mil cap hit. I just haven't seen Col play at all this year to know how he's keeping up. I think there might be some cheaper alternatives to Iginla that may be just effective. Whats the scouting report on Lee Stepniak? He's signed for 1 more year for 2.5 million. Not sure if he would help or not. Just trying to throw some 'other' names out there...

I think Minnesota, Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton, Tampa, Florida, Buffalo and the Islanders will be out of it as the end of this month approaches.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: Cooke-Malkin-Neal

Did you see the play where Malkin came galloping down center ice, entered the offensive zone, both defenders closed in on him and passed the puck to Matt Cooke, GROSSLY overestimating how slow Cooke was going. It was silly. The puck went at least 2 paces in front of him. Cooke is not going to cut it on that line. He's had some nice shows of offensive awareness from the 3rd line, but I just don't think he can keep up. Of Cooke / Bennett / Jeffrey, I think Jeffrey right now is the best fit there (unless Bennett stays there for the rest of the season to develop). But I'd even rather see him take TK's place on the 3rd line.

And as far as that Trade Machine thing goes, people forget that you can essentially trade cap space now, ( Isee they included it, which is cool) but it makes cap space much less of an issue now.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Jason Chimera in place of Kennedy.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:08 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Jason Chimera in place of Kennedy.

I like Chimera a lot. He is fast and "hard to play against".
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

Even if that's all Shero did I would be happy.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:15 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Even if that's all Shero did I would be happy.

I'd also like a Chimera who plays D as well. Same elements, different positions.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:40 pm

One idea to get our Kunitz v2.0:

The Canucks need cap space. David Booth has been underwhelming in his time in Vancouver. He's got 2 more seasons at $4.25m. We could send them Glass + a pick. We don't need him to put up big numbers, but I've always loved his game; he plays the way we need a complementary forward to play...even though he's not been quite the same since his concussion.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 pm

pcm wrote:One idea to get our Kunitz v2.0:

The Canucks need cap space. David Booth has been underwhelming in his time in Vancouver. He's got 2 more seasons at $4.25m. We could send them Glass + a pick. We don't need him to put up big numbers, but I've always loved his game; he plays the way we need a complementary forward to play...even though he's not been quite the same since his concussion.

Have to remember that cap is dropping next year. So, JMFJ is too much...David Booth is too much.

Remember: Have to sign Malkin and Letang next season.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Malkin and Letang's new contracts don't go on the books until 2014. The cap will rise again plus 1/2 the Pens contracts will be off the books by then. If David Booth provides anything similar to Kunitz (which he's got a history of) then he's worth $4.25m.

Next season, the Pens have $10m in cap space. If Jeffrey & Bortuzzo are qualified, and Dupuis is resigned for $2.2m, & Adams for the same, that leaves $5.5m. Add Booth (or Iginla under same scenario) for $4.25m and that fills out the roster, leaving one slot open in the nacho stand for a guy like Sill or Nonstopulous.

I also forsee Niskanen traded at some point before his contract goes up,, making room for a guy like Morrow or Doumoulin on the roster, which will open up cap space as well.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Krom on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 pm

The Sabres are taking on water. Ruff was dismissed, Regier could be next. See what they want for Pominville.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417437

Take a chance on the waived Hamrlik?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Gonch would solve a QB problem, sure, but he's not going to be anything in our own zone. He'll basically contribute the same thing as Jack Johnson.

Do we have a PP QB problem? What about Martin?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 pm

When I first heard this, I thought $4.35 mil/year wasn't bad. Then I started reading things. And looking at stats. I think there are two important facts: 1) He's never had a postive +/-, and though that isn't always a reliable stat, if someone is ALWAYS in the minus that's generally noteworthy. 2) He's never played on a strong regular-season team. No, even though they've made the playoffs the past few years and won the Cup, the Kings haven't been great during the regular season.

Things to consider are that: Letang, Orpik, Niskanen, Engelland, Kunitz, and Malkin all go UFA for 2014-15 and Despres and Sutter will be RFAs. If Shero is considering the future (durrr), then he knows the team will change after next season. Considering all that, I say Rossi is on crack and is considering video game rumors and under the assumption Ray Shero is a stupid man. If, at some point, Shero decides Letang won't be a part of this team in the future, then I could see it happening. But not until that point.
Last edited by wondermoose on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
no name wrote:Any major deal happening at the deadline will involve a top 4 defenceman and maybe in the same deal or a seperate deal a forward for Malkin and Neal. I get the feeling Sid is comfortable with the Kunitz and Dupuis.

I just don't see that top 4 guy being Jack Johnson.

The more I watch a healthy Neal/Malkin/Cooke and Kunitz/Crosby/Dupuis set of lines, I don't see a real pressing need for a top 6 wing pick-up. The two threats on each line along with a worker bee is a great make-up of a line.

The Pens needs are more for a physical wing or two to populate the bottom six and to help with the PK. The other glaring need is for a more dependable, stay-at-home and physical Dman.

Jack Johnson is not that.

Add to this the concept of the Salary Cap for next year and beyond, and you need to keep the list of targets to either cheap or UFA. The fact that Letang, Malkin, Kunitz and Sutter all need deals in the 2014-15 season adds some spice. It would not surprise me to see Letang traded at all, but that would be a block-buster for sure. More than likely he will be retained and Despres goes under the microscope along with Morrow as to whether they are ready replacements.

This is a good post
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Krom on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Sutter is restricted, not UFA, in 2014-15.
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Gonch would solve a QB problem, sure, but he's not going to be anything in our own zone. He'll basically contribute the same thing as Jack Johnson.

Do we have a PP QB problem? What about Martin?

That's why I said "A problem", not "OUR problem"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm

I'd rather have Mark Streit than Gonchar or Jack Johnson.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Krom wrote:Sutter is restricted, not UFA, in 2014-15.

He's still gonna get paid. He won't be nearly as cheap as he is now. Especially if he fills his role this well until then. It's not him that will break the bank, but he will get more pie.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 pm

I heard Brown, Bernier and Scuds for Malkin.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Teh PP is QBed from wherever Sid and Geno are. The d men just hold the puck in and take direction from those two. And no one cares about the 2nd unit, so whatsthepointman?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:58 pm

ville5 wrote:I heard Brown, Bernier and Scuds for Malkin.

That isn't something I'd do, but the approaching reality is that either Letang or Malkin has to go in the long run. I'd say with the organization's depth at D, Letang is the likely man out. Geno is going to cost more than Letang though.....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:07 pm

pcm wrote:Malkin and Letang's new contracts don't go on the books until 2014. The cap will rise again plus 1/2 the Pens contracts will be off the books by then. If David Booth provides anything similar to Kunitz (which he's got a history of) then he's worth $4.25m.

Next season, the Pens have $10m in cap space. If Jeffrey & Bortuzzo are qualified, and Dupuis is resigned for $2.2m, & Adams for the same, that leaves $5.5m. Add Booth (or Iginla under same scenario) for $4.25m and that fills out the roster, leaving one slot open in the nacho stand for a guy like Sill or Nonstopulous.

I also forsee Niskanen traded at some point before his contract goes up,, making room for a guy like Morrow or Doumoulin on the roster, which will open up cap space as well.

David Booth hasn't done squat in nearly 3 season now and has been injured more than not. Why on earth would anyone consider picking him up?

Kunitz 2.0 -- no way!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:28 pm

pcm wrote:One idea to get our Kunitz v2.0:

If you want Kunitz v2.0 go after Nick Foligno or Curtis Glencross.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Glass has the trade value of maybe a 5th round pick.
That's a confusing trade idea.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Glass was good for them... Booth has not been much for them. A mid pick can make up the difference. It's a hockey trade + cap move. Remember, Booth was dumped by Florida to clear his contract, so there's not much invested in him asset-wise by the Canucks (3rd + Reinprecht + Booth for Sturm + Samuleson...one of the funkier trades in a while). They're right up against the cap and are looking for some wiggle room.

His injuries are a concern, but just throwing another name out there as a buy-low opportunity. The risk in taking on his contract (if he were to bomb) is mitigated because he can be bought out in the amnesty this summer. So there's some extra opportunities this deadline for a team like the Pens (lots of cap space, no forthcoming buyouts) to take on risky contracts.
Last edited by pcm on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins