Trade Rumors 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trade Rumors 2013

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:37 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Rylan wrote:Can't stand Ribeiro. The thought of him in Pittsburgh is terrifying.

What cant you stand about him?

For starters, he's ugly as hell.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 am

Gaucho wrote:Why are people so eager to move Duper down to the 3rd or 4th line?

Great question.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 am

Total scumbag...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 am

dupuis hasn't scored in a while so he must suck n'all
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:42 am

mikey287 wrote:Not sure how Ribeiro helps, and he's been one of the few good Capitals this year...

He has been very strong for a poor capitals team this season and is a very smart player. For a team that has been suspect defensively I like the idea of adding smart two way players. Put him with Crosby and you have two excellent play makers on the ice at once.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 am

If you are looking to improve the top line who else are you going to move?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

Fair enough, there is always room for improvement, but some people seem to perceive Duper's presence on the top line as some sort of profound problem. I'd say our top line is the very least of our problems.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:52 am

Gaucho wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Fair enough, there is always room for improvement, but some people seem to perceive Duper's presence on the top line as some sort of profound problem. I'd say our top line is the very least of our problems.

Logically... you would move Kunitz to Malkin's line and add a left wing for Crosby.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Not sure how Ribeiro helps, and he's been one of the few good Capitals this year...

He has been very strong for a poor capitals team this season and is a very smart player. For a team that has been suspect defensively I like the idea of adding smart two way players. Put him with Crosby and you have two excellent play makers on the ice at once.

Are you sure you got the right guy? Ribeiro is no defensive whiz...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Rylan wrote:Can't stand Ribeiro. The thought of him in Pittsburgh is terrifying.

What cant you stand about him?

I will never like Ribeiro after that seizure performance to feign injury. Ribeiro has skill but has never seemed to be a good teammate, imo. I was so happy when the stars got rid of him.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 am

Why are we even so quick to break up one of the best producing lines in hockey? It may not be conventional, but Kunizt, Dupuis, and Crosby together just work. There's no need to break that up.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 am

mikey287 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

And he's never played wing in his NHL career.
If I had to make a list of the top NHL players I can't stand, Ribeiro would be top 5
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby rinkflea on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 am

Removing Duper from Sid's line would not be a good thing to do, particularly replacing him with someone who does not play defense as welll as he does. When they put Nealer there for a few games, it was a disaster, with productivity from all 3 players significantly reduced. Moving Kunitz to Geno's line and replacing him with someone who is not a clone of Kunie would likely do the same thing. The apparent answer is finding someone like Duper or Kunie with at least as much offensive capability for Geno's wing, but who is very responsible defensively. But, good luck with that..
rinkflea

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 am

rinkflea wrote:Removing Duper from Sid's line would not be a good thing to do, particularly replacing him with someone who does not play defense as welll as he does. When they put Nealer there for a few games, it was a disaster, with productivity from all 3 players significantly reduced. Moving Kunitz to Geno's line and replacing him with someone who is not a clone of Kunie would likely do the same thing. The apparent answer is finding someone like Duper or Kunie with at least as much offensive capability for Geno's wing, but who is very responsible defensively. But, good luck with that..

It will be interesting to see what the required standard for Bennett is on that line.
Will they just accept that it will be more susceptible to giving up goals?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:02 am

mikey287 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I wouldn't classify him as a defensive whiz, but he is a good two way player. On decent teams in MTL and DAL he was +15 and +21. This year with a terrible Caps team he is a +1.

Stephen Weiss's name was tossed around before he got injured and I see Riberio as a much better all around player than Weiss.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Why are we even so quick to break up one of the best producing lines in hockey? It may not be conventional, but Kunizt, Dupuis, and Crosby together just work. There's no need to break that up.

Its not a knock on Dupuis, he is a good player. But a lot of what he has accomplished is because he is on a line with Crosby. I think a valid argument can be made that there are players who could become available at the deadline who have more skill than Dupuis who could potentially mesh with Crosby as well.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am

I won't check the plus/minus numbers, I'll assume they're accurate...the rest of the post is not, unfortunately. Weiss is a much better two-way forward than Ribeiro...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby owtahear on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:11 am

IMO......it will be interesting to see what happens when Martin returns from the lineup. I don't know what Despres can do more to prove himself?? I'd sit Niskanen or even Brooks at least for a game. I always have liked Eaton's steadiness.

We know this, someone from the D Corp and D prospects will be moved.

I like this team adding a physical Dman (low rent like Gill was) and if you can get Iginla at a reasonable price (say Matta and a #1) you got to do it. If Bennett does well in his 2nd line tryout, then if you would get Iginla, I would drop Duper down to a 3rd line. Dupuis/Sutter/Cooke would be a fantastic 3rd line.

I hope they trade Kennedy. He just has no role here. He is too small, not gritty or defensive enough, and not good enough offensively to fill a role. I think when Cooke moved up to the 2nd line, our 3rd line suffered badly.

The 4th line is an abomination. I hold my breath every time they are on the ice. Come playoff time, maybe you go 7 D, and just dress Adams and Glass or Vitale and rotate the 3 Centers centering this line. But would like to add one more "sandpaper" type of low rent guy if you could.

To me, the key is replacing Kennedy on the 3rd line. Whether you do it via adding a top 6 winger to play with Sid and drop Duper down, or add a more classic, physical 3rd liner, who can also help on the PK.

That and Hal Gill, I am happy. Again though if you could get Iginla as a rental. You do it obviously.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Why are we even so quick to break up one of the best producing lines in hockey? It may not be conventional, but Kunizt, Dupuis, and Crosby together just work. There's no need to break that up.

Its not a knock on Dupuis, he is a good player. But a lot of what he has accomplished is because he is on a line with Crosby. I think a valid argument can be made that there are players who could become available at the deadline who have more skill than Dupuis who could potentially mesh with Crosby as well.

So, if Dupuis is at his best playing with Sid, how would moving Dupuis down the lineup make sense? You're nullifying a contributor.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

I don't know. I think that Shero doesn't really need to address the first line at all. It works, leave it alone. We have more pressing needs than a wing upgrade for Sid when he clearly doesn't need it. That line is lights out scary.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby owtahear on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 am

IMO......it will be interesting to see what happens when Martin returns from the lineup. I don't know what Despres can do more to prove himself?? I'd sit Niskanen or even Brooks at least for a game. I always have liked Eaton's steadiness.

We know this, someone from the D Corp and D prospects will be moved.

I like this team adding a physical Dman (low rent like Gill was) and if you can get Iginla at a reasonable price (say Matta and a #1) you got to do it. If Bennett does well in his 2nd line tryout, then if you would get Iginla, I would drop Duper down to a 3rd line. Dupuis/Sutter/Cooke would be a fantastic 3rd line.

I hope they trade Kennedy. He just has no role here. He is too small, not gritty or defensive enough, and not good enough offensively to fill a role. I think when Cooke moved up to the 2nd line, our 3rd line suffered badly.

The 4th line is an abomination. I hold my breath every time they are on the ice. Come playoff time, maybe you go 7 D, and just dress Adams and Glass or Vitale and rotate the 3 Centers centering this line. But would like to add one more "sandpaper" type of low rent guy if you could.

To me, the key is replacing Kennedy on the 3rd line. Whether you do it via adding a top 6 winger to play with Sid and drop Duper down, or add a more classic, physical 3rd liner, who can also help on the PK.

That and a Hal Gill type of acquisition, I am happy. Again though if you could get Iginla as a rental. You do it obviously.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 am

mikey287 wrote:I won't check the plus/minus numbers, I'll assume they're accurate...the rest of the post is not, unfortunately. Weiss is a much better two-way forward than Ribeiro...

Weiss may be marginally better defensively, but Ribeiro is better by a larger gap offensively. That's why if I had to choose between the two I'd take Ribeiro.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
no name wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Phil Kessel is apparently on the block. Cheaper than Parise would have been, similar production, fast, wicked shot. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

His contract is up and will be getting a big raise, we couldn't afford him once Geno Sutter and Tanger get their new contract. Wouldn't mind having him we just need a cheaper option. I don't want Iginla, i would prefer someone younger who already has a few years on a contract.

He's got one more year on his contract.

Wasn't there a thing about him and Crosby not liking each other?

Kessel's mother used to curse Crosby out when they played in the same High school leagues as teens.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:32 am

Well, when Iginla gets here, someone will have to move.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:41 am

Pitts wrote:Well, when Iginla gets here, someone Bennett will have to move. to the third line while Kennedy catches the next bus outta town.

FIFY
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins