The beat goes on and on and ...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby jwest21 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:15 pm

jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,089
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:19 pm

So Sid has Backpfeifengesicht ?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,226
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm confused here. Some of you are speaking of brainwashed Flyer fans. I think you have to have a brain before you can be brainwashed. :pop:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,593
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby joopen on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Beveridge wrote:Image

Image


IN THE FACE


Its not right to hit the mentally handicapped
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,731
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby jwest21 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:I'm confused here. Some of you are speaking of brainwashed Flyer fans. I think you have to have a brain before you can be brainwashed. :pop:

BEPF

Maybe their brains SHRUNK in the wash? ba-dum-bum-chhhhhh
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,089
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby raewhit on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 am

The following is a poll on the Phila Inquirer website:

What is it about Sidney Crosby that bugs you most?
-So much whining and diving
-That smug look on his face
-The fact that he’s good at hockey

Guess which choice is winning right now? yes- whining and diving at 54%
Their obsession never ends. It is so funny!
raewhit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby Inkio on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:37 am

Giroux was literally containing tears in his post-game interview after this game. But, Flyers fans wont call him a baby or a crier.. they will say he is just emotional and has strong feelings about his team which means he's a good Captain.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby the wicked child on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:34 am

Froggy wrote:i really hate the fact that the national hockey media is pretty much owned by the flyers' parent company, and employs announcers that are either employed by pittsburgh's direct rivals, or disgruntled former staff members.

not saying it's a conspiracy, or anything. i just wish that hockey was like the NFL in respect to its central broadcasts, where you have one consistent voice throughout. Way too many different agendas in hockey broadcasts. They do a terrible job of showing their star players in a good light. worse than any professional sport.

There are plenty of intelligent hockey minds out there. Unfortunately, they are not working for NBC/VS. NBC instead decides to employ the "personalities" which is a nice way of saying opinionated arseholes. The fact that VS gave air time to people such as John Richards, PJ Stock and Mike Keenan says it all.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,406
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 am

I really don't care what Philly fans have to say about anything.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,369
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby Jesse on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:11 pm

There was a play in the Philly game that was particularly intriguing to me. It was a penalty that Sid drew in the second period, I believe.

Essentially, Sid got the puck and was free along the near boards. He had a defenseman step up on him.

Sid went right at the defenseman and tried to put the puck between his legs and go around him. His feet never stopped moving at all. It was an interference call (just before the Adams interference call) and Sid nearly got the puck through and went in alone on goal.

The key here for me is that Sid knew exactly what he was doing. One of two things was going to happen. He was going to draw that call for interference, which he knew, because there was no way the defenseman was going allow him by.

OR, he was going to beat the man one on one and take the puck right towards the net uncontested.

He knows how good he is and he fights through everything. The whining and diving thing is dead. The guy straight up goes at you knowing he's either going to torch you or you're going to take a penalty.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,638
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Pitts wrote:I really don't care what Philly fans have to say about anything.

Actually I enjoy it. As Geno said in his commercial, "Yeah, keep booing. I love it."

Schadenfreude is especially fullfilling when it involves the Flyers.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,511
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Sunny Brentwood, Tennessee

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby littlemoonboot on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:45 pm

If by some freak event and parallel universe, Sidney Crosby suddenly played for the Flyers, you can bet your life that every one of those Flyers fans that hate him now would be planning a parade the minute he played for their team. They'd suddenly decide that MAYBE he doesn't dive and whine that much after all. In fact, they'd probably go on to say that he "stopped" once he came to Philly. Because after all, every player's supposed weaknesses automatically disappears once they join your own team. At least that's how fans see it.

When was the last time you really heard a Penguin fan go on about how much they hated Ovechkin? If Ovechkin scored a goal and did one of his goofy celebrations, would we care today as much as we did about 4 years ago?

No. People don't care about players and teams that aren't competitive. We didn't loathe Ovie because of his goofy smile or stupid yellow shoelaces. And while his dirty hit on Gonchar wasn't good, either, we loathed him the most because once upon a time, he was good, and a royal butt puckering pain for the Penguins to play against.

The reason why people hate Crosby is very simple. It's because he is good, and he does not play for their team. That's all.

Glen would love that face in orange.
Last edited by littlemoonboot on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,418
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby guiner on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Jesse wrote:There was a play in the Philly game that was particularly intriguing to me. It was a penalty that Sid drew in the second period, I believe.

Essentially, Sid got the puck and was free along the near boards. He had a defenseman step up on him.

Sid went right at the defenseman and tried to put the puck between his legs and go around him. His feet never stopped moving at all. It was an interference call (just before the Adams interference call) and Sid nearly got the puck through and went in alone on goal.

The key here for me is that Sid knew exactly what he was doing. One of two things was going to happen. He was going to draw that call for interference, which he knew, because there was no way the defenseman was going allow him by.

OR, he was going to beat the man one on one and take the puck right towards the net uncontested.

He knows how good he is and he fights through everything. The whining and diving thing is dead. The guy straight up goes at you knowing he's either going to torch you or you're going to take a penalty.


That play was incredible, you can make a highlight reel of Crosby's failed attempts, let alone successful ones. The speed and hands he showed moving that puck back and through the legs and then cradle it on the otherside was UNGODLY. I watched it several times in awe.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,048
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Cobb Mountain, CA

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:52 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:If by some freak event and parallel universe, Sidney Crosby suddenly played for the Flyers, you can bet your life that every one of those Flyers fans that hate him now would be planning a parade the minute he played for their team. They'd suddenly decide that MAYBE he doesn't dive and whine that much after all. In fact, they'd probably go on to say that he "stopped" once he came to Philly. Because after all, every player's supposed weaknesses automatically disappears once they join your own team. At least that's how fans see it.

When was the last time you really heard a Penguin fan go on about how much they hated Ovechkin? If Ovechkin scored a goal and did one of his goofy celebrations, would we care today as much as we did about 4 years ago?

No. People don't care about players and teams that aren't competitive. We didn't loathe Ovie because of his goofy smile or stupid yellow shoelaces. And while his dirty hit on Gonchar wasn't good, either, we loathed him the most because once upon a time, he was good, and a royal butt puckering pain for the Penguins to play against.

The reason why people hate Crosby is very simple. It's because he is good, and he does not play for their team. That's all.

Glen would love that face in orange.

I hate Ovechkin because he's selfish, plays dirty, and acts like a jerk. I'd still root for the Pens if he played for us but he wouldn't be my favorite. I think many (but not all) on this board would have called him out for all the suspensions he's incurred.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,511
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Sunny Brentwood, Tennessee

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:04 pm

A skim of their boards (hip waders help in sludge) leads me to believe that James Neal has supplanted Sid as public enemy #1. Geno's up there, too, and TK has been designated a Flyer killer.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,528
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:05 pm

I almost view AO as a casualty of that franchise.
It's too bad (for hockey) that Hunter didn't stick around, because that might have been his chance to have someone teach AO how to be professional.
Maybe Oates is working on that (?), but I have my doubts that he will ever become the palyer that he could have been.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,510
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Froggy wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i don't think crosby was ever a "diver". he embellished, and still does. but never "dove". i think the list of actual divers in the NHL is pretty small.


I think one needs to watch that Marchand video to see what a diver is.

Or the Ribiero video from a few years ago, or ovechkin from last week. Or any soccer game ever

I would add to that the Sedins from the SCF with Boston. If you looked at those two wrong they went down.
stonewizard51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby Guinness on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:22 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:If by some freak event and parallel universe, Sidney Crosby suddenly played for the Flyers, you can bet your life that every one of those Flyers fans that hate him now would be planning a parade the minute he played for their team. They'd suddenly decide that MAYBE he doesn't dive and whine that much after all. In fact, they'd probably go on to say that he "stopped" once he came to Philly. Because after all, every player's supposed weaknesses automatically disappears once they join your own team. At least that's how fans see it.

When was the last time you really heard a Penguin fan go on about how much they hated Ovechkin? If Ovechkin scored a goal and did one of his goofy celebrations, would we care today as much as we did about 4 years ago?

No. People don't care about players and teams that aren't competitive. We didn't loathe Ovie because of his goofy smile or stupid yellow shoelaces. And while his dirty hit on Gonchar wasn't good, either, we loathed him the most because once upon a time, he was good, and a royal butt puckering pain for the Penguins to play against.

The reason why people hate Crosby is very simple. It's because he is good, and he does not play for their team. That's all.

Glen would love that face in orange.


I not only whole-heartedly acknowledge this as fact, I explicitly encourage it.

There is no logical reason for me to be a Pittsburgh Penguins fan. I am because I grew up near Pittsburgh, and my mom and dad were fans. I have no doubt that if Claude Giroux wore the black and gold, I'd LOVE him, and odds are pretty good that if Sid Crosby wore black and orange, I'd HATE him (there are players for other teams that I do enjoy watching, but given how good he is, and how much I hate Philly, I'd probably hate him). They're all human beings playing a game and wearing a particular jersey that I either love or hate, based upon the city they live in. It's all perfectly inconsequential, and a perfectly good outlet for competitive inclinations.

That's why I have no problem whatsoever with those who just inexplicably hate other players, even when other folks jump in and say, "you'd love him if he played in Pittsburgh". Yep. I probably would. But he doesn't. So F him.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby littlemoonboot on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:18 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:I hate Ovechkin because he's selfish, plays dirty, and acts like a jerk. I'd still root for the Pens if he played for us but he wouldn't be my favorite. I think many (but not all) on this board would have called him out for all the suspensions he's incurred.


True, but we paid a lot more attention to Ovie's negative attributes because he was also a superstar player. If he was a ham and egger like he is now, I doubt many would have had as much to say about it.

Oh well, sucks for the Caps with that contract of his now. Those are some expensive ham and eggs!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,418
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: The beat goes on and on and ...

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:47 pm

I don't necessarily share the same sentiment about Ovy. I was a big Ovechkin fan the first few years, he was great fun to watch but his dbaggy-ness chipped away at that and then the dirty hits started, followed by the "I'm never changing the way I play" chest puffing, his arrogant celebrations and everything. I don't like the guy and I don't care what's best for the sport, I want him to fail. Sid does just about everything right and is hated, so with Ovi's past crap that's a deep hole for him to dig out of.

The one I am having trouble with however is Hartnell. I hear time and again he's great off the ice and just plays the heel role, but he scores goals, he's ugly, and he's a flyer. I don't care if he walked up to me in a bar and paid my tab, I hate that guy.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,199
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

e-mail