Game 24 vs Philly - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 24 vs Philly - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:21 am

Pens win 5-4

- Philly's crossbar on first shift was the starting bell for another wild roller coaster game, whodathunkit? 8-)
- James Neal lost his mind 1st period. Gary must have called him in between periods
- Did you BELIEVE they could come back in this game after one? I gave them 25% IF they scored the next goal, which they did. 50% if they did again, and so on
- Sid from behind the net is magic. Is it intentional setup or just Sid taking advantage of space given?
- Martin is a monster (sorry Pee-air). What a different player and now a key piece of the Pens D
- Beau diving shotblock/tip at the end of a very long shift proved the kid has skill AND works his butt off
- Vokoun played well in relief and looked like the old Tomas.
- This comeback was against a very "fragile" Philly team. Not the usual Philly squad, hopefully they spin out of control now :twisted:
- Grossman should have been the "D" the Pens finished very hit on
- Anyone see the closeup of Timmonen on the bench after scoring. A teammate joked with him and he gave a :roll: , implying it was a WEAK goal
- Shortened season is obviously tough on goalies all around the league (unless your Chicago). Injuries abound, poor play, crazyness
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 24 vs Philly - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:23 am

The Philadelphia Flyers are working Bryz to the point of no return for this season.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 am

Penspal wrote:- Anyone see the closeup of Timmonen on the bench after scoring. A teammate joked with him and he gave a :roll: , implying it was a WEAK goal

You need to stop reading things into things.

Monster game by teh captain.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 am

I was incredibly surprised by BB's energy/grit/and flat out want to play on that line and stay on that line. All rookie players/call ups should take note of how he played. It's not just because he's skilled, he had the will to be out there and nothing was going to stop him from making an impact. Seasoning him on the lower lines and giving him a view from the press box for a couple games was a great way to ease him into the NHL, show him how the game was played, and let him get a feel for the work ethic needed to play top line in the NHL. It's only one game but it's a damn good start.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:31 am

LOVED how we dangled the carrot in front of the Cryers and their fans and then just yanked it away.
refs called some very weird penalties both ways. I clearly don't understand what "interference" is anymore.
glad the refs called Hartnell Down! for that unsportsmanlike. he had absolutely no business going anywhere near Neal after that PP goal. stay classy Scotty H!
4 unanswered goals? Laviolette should bag skate the Cryers today.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:32 am

Pavel Bure wrote:I was incredibly surprised by BB's energy/grit/and flat out want to play on that line and stay on that line. All rookie players/call ups should take note of how he played. It's not just because he's skilled, he had the will to be out there and nothing was going to stop him from making an impact. Seasoning him on the lower lines and giving him a view from the press box for a couple games was a great way to ease him into the NHL, show him how the game was played, and let him get a feel for the work ethic needed to play top line in the NHL. It's only one game but it's a damn good start.

Agreed, there was logic in letting him get his feet under him. He showed little fear and wise play on absorbing some big hits along the wall, kept his feet moving and does show he thinks the game by the little looks he sneaks, use of the boards and recognition not to stay out too long (other than that one shift) as it appeared he was often 1st off the ice when changing.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joe icepick on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:38 am

Gaucho wrote:
Penspal wrote:- Anyone see the closeup of Timmonen on the bench after scoring. A teammate joked with him and he gave a :roll: , implying it was a WEAK goal

You need to stop reading things into things.

Monster game by teh captain.

There might be two Honey Badgers on this team. Sid and Kunitz
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 am

- The only thing worse than the Pens play in the 1st is the banter on the LGP GDT last night. You guys call yourselves Pens fans??
- I am officially sick of the fire DB bandwagon.
- Instead of giving away leads in the 3rd, this team is now making comebacks in said period.
- Neal had a chip on his shoulder, glad he scored the goal to ground him again.
- Kunitz: My hockey pool team thanks you.
- Flower wasn't sharp but I am not going to blame him when the shots are 18-4 after 1 period.
- I still am uneasy whenever Vokoun makes a save.

Overall, this team is entertaining. How can we complain? At least we are not winning 1-0 trap games!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joe icepick on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:43 am

1. Have to find a dman that can clear the net. So tired of Simmonds camping out in there.
2. Sutter if I'm right won one faceoff. Vitale can at least help with faceoffs if nothing else.
3. Bennett is a nifty passer.
4. 4TH line is bad
5. PK is to passive and slow
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe icepick on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 am

Forgot this one. Fleury is a fragile little flower. Toughen up kid.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:46 am

joe icepick wrote:Forgot this one. Fleury is a fragile little flower. Toughen up kid.

How is he fragile? All goalies have these kinds of games.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joe icepick on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 am

He's timid when he plays the puck. Make a decision and pass it. Wack Simmonds when the refs have there heads turned. Couple of butt ends to the back. Thats what i'm saying. Figure it out Pavel.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slappybrown on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:50 am

Engelland, thumbs down
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joe icepick on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 am

slappybrown wrote:Engelland, thumbs down

Agree, he needs to sit.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:53 am

If you take away the 10~ minutes or so from Neal's penalty - end of the first period...The Penguins played a perfect 50 minutes of hockey. Bylsma's system looked good last night, but the problem is that the Flyers, this year, are a bad hockey team.

Defensive Thoughts:
-I'm completely shocked and dumbfounded by Simon Despres is not a top 6 defenseman on this team. He's the 3rd best defenseman we have. 1. Letang, 2. Martin, 3. Despres. Really, think about it. It just makes me sick that we have a 35 year old Eaton taking away from our #1 pick stud in Despres.
-We had no answer for Simmons/Hartnell around the net. Martin isn't that type of guy. Orpik just doesn't clear it. We have Engelland for this, and Bylsma wasn't using him versus Simmonds...hmm.
-Matt Niskanen needs traded ASAP. I would rather have Mark Eaton + a mid round pick (nisky), than Niskanen taking away time from Despres/Bortuzzo. Niskanen takes dumb penalities, he just does worst the more time he gets. He's a number 5 and the Pens are trying so hard to make im more than that. It's the same thing that happened in DAL to him.
-The pairing of Eaton-Engelland was the worst thing I've seen all year. Just don't.
-If Engelland isn't being used as the crease clearing defenseman, he shouldn't be here. That's what we need from the number 6. Engelland is completely worthless. Why is this borderline, fringe NHL player getting a roster spot over a former number 1 pick whose playing great this year?
Letang-Despres, Martin-Orpik, Niskanen-Bortuzzo, Eaton#7.

Offensive
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis, don't touch it.
Bennett - Malkin - Neal, don't touch it.
Cooke - Sutter - Jeffrey
-Tyler Kennedy scored, so you know he's safe for the rest of the regular season...
-Why was Vitale scratched?
-If the Pens win the cup/miss the playoffs one thing is for sure...glass/adams/kennedy/ these guys don't bring a lot. Adams is a VET but can't we find better 4th liners out there? I want the entire bottom 6 different next year besides Sutter/Vitale. Cooke, possible 1 year deal.

I don't understand the logic of Shero/Bylsma. 12-4 with Despres in the lineup...1st round pick, 20 years old, stud all around big body defenseman, instead lets play:

-35 year old veteran defenseman on last legs (Eaton)
-30 year old career fringe NHL, 6th defenseman (Engelland)
-Niskanen who was just bad today with stupid penalties.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 am

joe icepick wrote:He's timid when he plays the puck. Make a decision and pass it. Wack Simmonds when the refs have there heads turned. Couple of butt ends to the back. Thats what i'm saying. Figure it out Pavel.

Figure it out? I can't read minds. So you want Fleury to abandon playing goalie and start physical altercations? He never was and never will be a great puck handler but he is adequate and has improved greatly since coming into the NHL. Fleury's job isn't to "Wack" Simmonds, his job is to try and follow the puck. His defense should take care of Simmonds and allow Fleury to do his job.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 am

Hawkeynut wrote:- The only thing worse than the Pens play in the 1st is the banter on the LGP GDT last night. You guys call yourselves Pens fans??

Come on now. People are frustrated and they're letting off steam. Better to do it in a GDT then letting it all out on the missus, right?

Seriously, questining other people's fanhood after that first period is just lame.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:56 am

It has come to my attention recently that Despres is a recent #1 pick. ;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 am

Neal needs to calm down and focus. He epitomizes what happens to the Pens when they play the Flyers.

Last 40 minutes of the game is what we should expect to happen more often than not.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joe icepick on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
joe icepick wrote:He's timid when he plays the puck. Make a decision and pass it. Wack Simmonds when the refs have there heads turned. Couple of butt ends to the back. Thats what i'm saying. Figure it out Pavel.

Figure it out? I can't read minds. So you want Fleury to abandon playing goalie and start physical altercations? He never was and never will be a great puck handler but he is adequate and has improved greatly since coming into the NHL. Fleury's job isn't to "Wack" Simmonds, his job is to try and follow the puck. His defense should take care of Simmonds and allow Fleury to do his job.

So you are saying, goalies are not suppose to take care of whats in front of them. Really? Have you ever played goalie?
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 am

joe icepick wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

So you are saying, goalies are not suppose to take care of whats in front of them. Really? Have you ever played goalie?

And this is over.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 am

Echo some and add a little:

- Engelland is not doing anything anymore and I am one of his biggest fans.
- Eaton is much worse than Bortuzzo and Despres and giving him playing time is not going to help the kids get any better. Dumbfounded by this.
- As I've said before, BB is going to be Neal or better by the time he gets a few years in.
- For the love of everything in this world, please sit Glass and let Vitale take his place. Can we try Vitale-Jeffrey-Adams just one freaking time??
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:07 am

Nizzy wrote:If you take away the 10~ minutes or so from Neal's penalty - end of the first period...The Penguins played a perfect 50 minutes of hockey. Bylsma's system looked good last night, but the problem is that the Flyers, this year, are a bad hockey team.

Defensive Thoughts:
-I'm completely shocked and dumbfounded by Simon Despres is not a top 6 defenseman on this team. He's the 3rd best defenseman we have. 1. Letang, 2. Martin, 3. Despres. Really, think about it. It just makes me sick that we have a 35 year old Eaton taking away from our #1 pick stud in Despres.
-We had no answer for Simmons/Hartnell around the net. Martin isn't that type of guy. Orpik just doesn't clear it. We have Engelland for this, and Bylsma wasn't using him versus Simmonds...hmm.
-Matt Niskanen needs traded ASAP. I would rather have Mark Eaton + a mid round pick (nisky), than Niskanen taking away time from Despres/Bortuzzo. Niskanen takes dumb penalities, he just does worst the more time he gets. He's a number 5 and the Pens are trying so hard to make im more than that. It's the same thing that happened in DAL to him.
-The pairing of Eaton-Engelland was the worst thing I've seen all year. Just don't.
-If Engelland isn't being used as the crease clearing defenseman, he shouldn't be here. That's what we need from the number 6. Engelland is completely worthless. Why is this borderline, fringe NHL player getting a roster spot over a former number 1 pick whose playing great this year?
Letang-Despres, Martin-Orpik, Niskanen-Bortuzzo, Eaton#7.

Offensive
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis, don't touch it.
Bennett - Malkin - Neal, don't touch it.
Cooke - Sutter - Jeffrey
-Tyler Kennedy scored, so you know he's safe for the rest of the regular season...
-Why was Vitale scratched?
-If the Pens win the cup/miss the playoffs one thing is for sure...glass/adams/kennedy/ these guys don't bring a lot. Adams is a VET but can't we find better 4th liners out there? I want the entire bottom 6 different next year besides Sutter/Vitale. Cooke, possible 1 year deal.

I don't understand the logic of Shero/Bylsma. 12-4 with Despres in the lineup...1st round pick, 20 years old, stud all around big body defenseman, instead lets play:

-35 year old veteran defenseman on last legs (Eaton)
-30 year old career fringe NHL, 6th defenseman (Engelland)
-Niskanen who was just bad today with stupid penalties.

I'm not sure what your beef is with Eaton. He's a sound stay at home guy who puts positioning and defense first and doesn't chase hits. Its what this team needs right now, and I have been pleasantly surprised.

I agree that Despres should be in over Engelland.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joe icepick on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Echo some and add a little:

- Engelland is not doing anything anymore and I am one of his biggest fans.
- Eaton is much worse than Bortuzzo and Despres and giving him playing time is not going to help the kids get any better. Dumbfounded by this.
- As I've said before, BB is going to be Neal or better by the time he gets a few years in.
- For the love of everything in this world, please sit Glass and let Vitale take his place. Can we try Vitale-Jeffrey-Adams just one freaking time??

How much did we sign Glass for?
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe icepick on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
joe icepick wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

And this is over.

Thank you
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins