Game 24 vs Philly - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 24 vs Philly - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Froggy wrote:i remember noting that sequence in chat with something like "holy crap... sid just controlled the puck on the boards without a stick against 3 flyers"

best total player today by a SIGNIFICANT margin

Best player, yes. Most complete? Obviously. By a significant margin? Eh. I don't know if any player will statistically dominate but I agree to some extent, that the little things Crosby can do-things you may have never seen in a hockey game-make him a superior player and athlete.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:28 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Froggy wrote:i remember noting that sequence in chat with something like "holy crap... sid just controlled the puck on the boards without a stick against 3 flyers"

best total player today by a SIGNIFICANT margin

Best player, yes. Most complete? Obviously. By a significant margin? Eh. I don't know if any player will statistically dominate but I agree to some extent, that the little things Crosby can do-things you may have never seen in a hockey game-make him a superior player and athlete.

well, the reason i said SIGNIFICANT is that the players who can come close to him on the little things (maybe Datsyuk or Toews) come nowhere near what he can do on the sexy scoreboard stats. and vise versa... stamkos might put up points, but have you ever seen him do anything like that?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Froggy wrote:My biggest concern is the pk being as bad as it is. It can't be just from losing Staal and michalek, can it? I mean, that's enough to hurt, but to drop us from a top 5 unit to a bottom 10?

Those were two of the top PKers on the this team. That's half of a top PK unit right there. Pretty big blow.

Sutter and Glass had quite a bit of SH time last season (albeit on some bad PKing teams), it's possible that they could get more comfortable here and start being used in that role. That could help offset some of the losses. Or like others have mentioned, Sid and Geno could give them a different look. So, at least there are options if the primary PKers don't improve.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Guinness wrote:I think a person is going to see what they want to see, to a considerable extent.

No one here wants to see the Pens play poor D. As HH has clearly demonstrated, as all the facts point to, they *are* playing poor D and have been doing so for quite some time. The question is where the root of the issue lies. But the bottom-line is that it is ultimately DB's responsibility as the head coach.

Going into this season, the Pens had a lot to prove. Immediately after the embarrassment last spring, there was a lot of reasonable speculation, among fans and media, of major moves including roster and coaching changes. DB stated going into this season that improved defense was a priority. I somewhat recall one quote from him which was along the lines of a shutout being the goal each game. Based on how the team he coaches is responding on the ice, they have nearly completely failed thus far.

As recent history is repeating itself, it's naive to think these issues will be resolved in the playoffs without a tangible improvement during the regular season. I think that if anyone is believing what they want to around here, it is those understating the issues.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm not arguing on behalf of an 'on' switch; I'm just saying that, as HH's numbers clearly show, this team is capable of playing tight hockey for stretches. They have NOT been playing firewagon, devil-may-care hockey for 40+ games, as has been suggested.

Are they going to win the Cup playing the way they played during the first period last night? Of course not. But is this team capable of winning the Cup as currently constructed? Of course that's a matter of opinion and - as I mentioned - seeing what you want to see, but I would say that over the course of the past calendar year they have shown the discipline and talent to make that happen. Will they? I don't know. Will they even be the same team in a month? None of us know.

HH is a smart fan, but he's decidely a "glass-is-half-empty" type of guy when it comes to assessing the team in general. I'm all for being realistic, but if I looked at things the same way, myself, I just wouldn't bother. I wouldn't garner any pleasure from it... and really, what other point is there, when it comes to watching a game?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 pm

He seems to be more of a wrong liquid kind of guy.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
Nizzy wrote:If the Pens win the cup/miss the playoffs one thing is for sure...glass/adams/kennedy/ these guys don't bring a lot. Adams is a VET but can't we find better 4th liners out there? I want the entire bottom 6 different next year besides Sutter/Vitale. Cooke, possible 1 year deal.

I don't understand the logic of Shero/Bylsma. 12-4 with Despres in the lineup...1st round pick, 20 years old, stud all around big body defenseman, instead lets play:

-35 year old veteran defenseman on last legs (Eaton)
-30 year old career fringe NHL, 6th defenseman (Engelland)
-Niskanen who was just bad today with stupid penalties.

-Couldn't watch game as 'blacked out', I must wait 48hrs to view replay. Gamecenter Live is anything but if you live in UK/Europe :cry:
-Great comeback and entertaining but when are these heart attack games going to stop?!
-Really shocked Despres didn't play after the praise he recieved vs Habs. I agree Nizzy, hes 3rd best D based on talent alone and better than Engo hands down (coming from an Engo fan and taking rookie mistakes into account).
-Scratch Engo, drop Nisky to #5 with Eaton/Bort and PLEASE pair Letang-Despres!
-Also shocked Vitale sat before Glass/Adams, Jeffrey better suited to 3rd line wing IMO.
-If Despres is traded I will be very very very upset.

Thanks....

Yeah I know, Jeffrey, 3rd line..2 goals in way less games than Kennedy. But TK gets to stay on his 3rd line still!!! Unreal.

Letang
Martin
Despres
Niskanen
Orpik
Eaton
Engelland
Bortuzzo

So I would go with Letang - Despres, Martin - Orpik still and hope Orpik picks it up. Niskanen as the 5th with Eaton, and plug in borts/engellend when needed.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:51 am

Henry Hank wrote:
I agree with everything you say, but every team has flaws and has holes in their game (unless you want to put Chicago in another stratosphere of their own).

I guess in a salary cap era you're going to have weaknesses that are sometimes beyond your ultimate control.

I don't know, like I said I agree with you wholeheartedly but am just wondering if the expectations are too high?

I don't expect perfection. But the number of goals the Pens are giving up is a major, major problem. It's not just a tiny flaw. Why I find it most unacceptable is that they proved they could do it. To answer another question in a recent post, here is where they were before Crosby came back.

68 games, 170 goals against, 2.50 goals against per game. They obviously also had the top PK for real during that time period. And those numbers were even better the previous season.

That's why it just doesn't cut it to me to say that every team has some flaws. There's absolutely no reason they should be giving up this many goals. It wasn't that long ago that they were doing a legitimately good job preventing goals. Since Sid returned, they've gone all offense and have shown no sustainable ability to keep themselves in check. I'd gladly trade scoring a half goal a game for a half goal a game against. They could score a half goal a game less and still be a top five offensive team. Take 0.5 off their GAA and they're also a top ten team in that area. THAT is a recipe for a Cup contender. What they have going on is a freak show.

If their failure is a done deal, then why bother watching?

Sports are supposed to be fun to watch, remember. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:18 am

Steve wrote:
Shakes wrote:Via The Score:

I think this is an example of the elusive "leadership" that guys like Richards and Giroux have and Sid is hoping to emulate. :wink:

Sid. Never. Stops.

This is honestly one of the coolest things I've seen Sid do on the ice. I've never seen another player use that end of the stick to play the puck, at least successfully. Also funny, when he does it, he totally fakes out the French Hick and Kunitz, who were following the puck the other way.

That entire sequence, he outworks three flyers and wins the puck, never using his stick blade haha.

Not JUST three Flyers... Did this against Timonen, Schenn and Giroux, to boot. He out-worked their top pair and their prized center with out a stick.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins