Send Despres to WBS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Send Despres to WBS

Postby npv708 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:41 am

There I said it.

He has been playing good hockey, but still has room for development and will not do that by sitting in the press box.

Bortuzzo is serviceable as a 7th defenseman for the time being.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Send Despres to WBS

Postby Bioshock on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 am

Will never happen. He is a huge chip in any large trade that they would hope to pull off. That would only diminish his value.

That is why i also think that fingernail injury is bull because they just wanted a different pairing for the Flyers but at the same time couldn't make him a healthy scratch anymore so that his value wouldn't go down after the games against Montreal and Tampa.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:50 am

Why would they fabricate an excuse not to play him? They can make him a healthy scratch as often as they please.

If he continues to play in roughly 75% of the gamesI have no complaints. Even though I'd rather he played every game, but that is more due to shiny new toy syndrome than anything else.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am

Gaucho wrote:Why would they fabricate an excuse not to play him? They can make him a healthy scratch as often as they please.

If he continues to play in roughly 75% of the gamesI have no complaints. Even though I'd rather he played every game, but that is more due to shiny new toy syndrome than anything else the fact that he is significantly better than Deryk Engelland.

fixt
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am

Gaucho wrote:Why would they fabricate an excuse not to play him? They can make him a healthy scratch as often as they please.

If he continues to play in roughly 75% of the gamesI have no complaints. Even though I'd rather he played every game, but that is more due to shiny new toy syndrome than anything else.

Having him be a healthy scratch reduces his value in the eyes of another team, that's why.

It's just my opinion anyways.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am

joopen wrote:

If he continues to play in roughly 75% of the gamesI have no complaints. Even though I'd rather he played every game, but that is more due to shiny new toy syndrome than anything else the fact that he is significantly better than Deryk Engelland.

fixt

Yes, he is. But I stand by my original statement.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Shero is trying to trade Engel/Eaton. Gotta show them off to trade them. Eaton = Martin Skoula 2.0 for a trade.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 pm

I don't know that its "shiny new toy" syndrome. He's one of the 6 best defensemen on this team at present. Ergo, he should play. It's that simple.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Gaucho wrote:
joopen wrote:

fixt

Yes, he is. But I stand by my original statement.

Totally within your right. You might be 100% correct. We truly don't know what DB is thinking when it comes to his roster choices.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:13 pm

The fact is that DB is the coach and until that changes, Despres current status won't change either.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:17 pm

npv708 wrote:The fact is that DB is the coach and until that changes, Despres current status won't change either.

"screenshot of nhl standings showing the pens 2 points behind the habs to lead the east"
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 pm

It would be pretty dumb to trade Despres
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Bioshock wrote:Having him be a healthy scratch reduces his value in the eyes of another team, that's why.

I don't believe that for a second. He's a young player. I don't think he should be scratched, but his tape more speaks more than loudly on his behalf if we wanted to trade him. If another GM was in the market for a young D with size, great skating, effective body work, great vision and PP potential then I can't think of too many others in the league who would measure up against him. His positioning will improve over time and he is a top pair guy at his peak.

I would also say that there should be NO consideration to trading him anyway, so hopefully that point is moot.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Despres has nothing to gain from playing in the AHL. Even this season he wasn't a dominate force in the minors. He seems to be the type that play better when he is with better teammates and playing against better competition. He has little to gain from playing against slower, less talented opposition. Decision making in the NHL isn't going to improve by playing against scrubs.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:22 pm

It's a compressed schedule, which makes the game physically tougher on players, especially players without experience. It's better for Simon to sit one out every once in a while than to go down for two months with a knee injury.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 pm

sil wrote:It's a compressed schedule, which makes the game physically tougher on players, especially players without experience. It's better for Simon to sit one out every once in a while than to go down for two months with a knee injury.

Wat
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:It would be pretty dumb to trade Despres

If it's for a rental, I agree. But if it brings back a player who will be in Pittsburgh for a while, I have no problem with it. The fact is, some of the forwards are getting a little older. You've gotta figure Dupuis and Cooke won't play forever, and TK will likely not be back or end up traded. So there's some money that will be free in the not too distant future to sign whomever they trade for.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby owtahear on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:26 pm

I would like to see them move Niskanen. If they could. Get rid of some salary, open up a spot for Depres in the top 6.

I am not sure what it would take to get Iginla, and because of his limited no trade clause, we know Pittsburgh is one of the few acceptable destinations for him. So....the market is kind of limited.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Shero is trying to trade Engel/Eaton. Gotta show them off to trade them. Eaton = Martin Skoula 2.0 for a trade.

I'd think that playing Engelland would hurt his value to other teams when they can see him attempt to be a crease-clearing defenseman and fail miserably.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:29 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:

If it's for a rental, I agree. But if it brings back a player who will be in Pittsburgh for a while, I have no problem with it. The fact is, some of the forwards are getting a little older. You've gotta figure Dupuis and Cooke won't play forever, and TK will likely not be back or end up traded. So there's some money that will be free in the not too distant future to sign whomever they trade for.

I get your point here, but trading Despres for a permanent fixture doesn't really equate money-wise. He's only making just over $800K right now, and will have a rather reasonable cap hit for the next 3-4 years at least, while serving as a top-4 D-man. That's the kind of contract you absolutely must have if you're going to realistically resign Malkin and Letang for the long term.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Rocco wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Shero is trying to trade Engel/Eaton. Gotta show them off to trade them. Eaton = Martin Skoula 2.0 for a trade.

I'd think that playing Engelland would hurt his value to other teams when they can see him attempt to be a crease-clearing defenseman and fail miserably.

And, there isn't a team in the league that would make a trade for Eaton.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:31 pm

owtahear wrote:I would like to see them move Niskanen. If they could. Get rid of some salary, open up a spot for Depres in the top 6.

I am not sure what it would take to get Iginla, and because of his limited no trade clause, we know Pittsburgh is one of the few acceptable destinations for him. So....the market is kind of limited.

For us to get Iginla, he would basically have to go to feaster and say, "I want a trade to Pittsburgh." If it's left up to who can offer the best...we ain't gonna win.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 pm

sil wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

I get your point here, but trading Despres for a permanent fixture doesn't really equate money-wise. He's only making just over $800K right now, and will have a rather reasonable cap hit for the next 3-4 years at least, while serving as a top-4 D-man. That's the kind of contract you absolutely must have if you're going to realistically resign Malkin and Letang for the long term.

If you think Niskanen, Kennedy and or Jeffrey can get you what you want, okay. But if you're looking to add a real, young scoring threat to move into Kunitz's or Dupuis' spot in a year or two, then you may have to sacrifice Despres (or Letang). Right now, I'd rather keep Letang.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:34 pm

sil wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

This was the main underlying reasoning behind my statement
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Pitts wrote:
sil wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

If you think Niskanen, Kennedy and or Jeffrey can get you what you want, okay. But if you're looking to add a real, young scoring threat to move into Kunitz's or Dupuis' spot in a year or two, then you may have to sacrifice Despres (or Letang). Right now, I'd rather keep Letang.

The last thing we need right now is another scoring threat. Maybe summer, not now.

What we need to get better shouldn't require trading Despres and I'm against it.

I agree - if he's not going to play every night send him down
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins