Send Despres to WBS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Send Despres to WBS

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 pm

if there's a "hockey trade" out there that involves depres, shero will consider it, i'm sure. he's not untouchable and, to put it bluntly, we have more of him. i don't think he should or will be traded, but it's not impossible.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 pm

What would bother me most about it is not sacrificing a good young defenseman as much as sacrificing more of an ability to ice a complete lineup from top to bottom. Not saying it's impossible, but Bennett's $900,000 (this and next two years) + Despres' $840,000 (this and next year), and their next contracts will be invaluable to a team as top-heavy as the penguins.

It's easy to say, "Well, look at our prospects in waiting," and sure, that's a nice thing to have, but right now Despres looks to be an NHL caliber defenseman (or, at least, well on his way there). We don't know for certain if Morrow, Dumoulin, Samuelsson, Harrington, Maatta, D'Agostino, or Pouliot will be?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:41 pm

shmenguin wrote:if there's a "hockey trade" out there that involves depres, shero will consider it, i'm sure. he's not untouchable and, to put it bluntly, we have more of him. i don't think he should or will be traded, but it's not impossible.

certainly not, but it won't be for an expiring contract
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 pm

If you guys wanna good overview of what Shero might be doing regarding Despres and other potential trades in the coming 12 months, read this article by Mike Colligan:

http://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-pr ... jor-trade/
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 pm

sil wrote:It's a compressed schedule, which makes the game physically tougher on players, especially players without experience. It's better for Simon to sit one out every once in a while than to go down for two months with a knee injury.

I'm not sure what this post makes, but I'm certain that its not sense.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:59 pm

sil wrote:What would bother me most about it is not sacrificing a good young defenseman as much as sacrificing more of an ability to ice a complete lineup from top to bottom. Not saying it's impossible, but Bennett's $900,000 (this and next two years) + Despres' $840,000 (this and next year), and their next contracts will be invaluable to a team as top-heavy as the penguins.

It's easy to say, "Well, look at our prospects in waiting," and sure, that's a nice thing to have, but right now Despres looks to be an NHL caliber defenseman (or, at least, well on his way there). We don't know for certain if Morrow, Dumoulin, Samuelsson, Harrington, Maatta, D'Agostino, or Pouliot will be?

Nice. Trades should include either those above or below Despres on the org chart.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
sil wrote:What would bother me most about it is not sacrificing a good young defenseman as much as sacrificing more of an ability to ice a complete lineup from top to bottom. Not saying it's impossible, but Bennett's $900,000 (this and next two years) + Despres' $840,000 (this and next year), and their next contracts will be invaluable to a team as top-heavy as the penguins.

Nice. Trades should include either those above or below Despres on the org chart.

Who's suggesting such a trade?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
sil wrote:It's a compressed schedule, which makes the game physically tougher on players, especially players without experience. It's better for Simon to sit one out every once in a while than to go down for two months with a knee injury.

I'm not sure what this post makes, but I'm certain that its not sense.

Spoiler:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Pitts wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Shero is trying to trade Engel/Eaton. Gotta show them off to trade them. Eaton = Martin Skoula 2.0 for a trade.

I'd think that playing Engelland would hurt his value to other teams when they can see him attempt to be a crease-clearing defenseman and fail miserably.

And, there isn't a team in the league that would make a trade for Eaton.

The same was said about Skoula :pop:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Shero is trying to trade Engel/Eaton. Gotta show them off to trade them. Eaton = Martin Skoula 2.0 for a trade.

I'd think that playing Engelland would hurt his value to other teams when they can see him attempt to be a crease-clearing defenseman and fail miserably.

And, there isn't a team in the league that would make a trade for Eaton.

The same was said about Skoula :pop:

Pretty sure it was said about Goligoski too. :slug:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Bioshock wrote:If you guys wanna good overview of what Shero might be doing regarding Despres and other potential trades in the coming 12 months, read this article by Mike Colligan:

http://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-pr ... jor-trade/

The right offer would obviously always work, but Bennett's play between now and the end of the season will really be the cog in the whole thing...that and whatever Shero decides to do with Dupuis/whatever Dupuis' agent thinks he should earn.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Despres is clearly NHL ready, yes he will suffer growing pains but no need to send him down.

And we are in cup mode and will be for the next couple years, you can trade Despres as long as the returnm will be with us for a while. Despres should not be sacraficed for a rental.
Last edited by no name on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:27 pm

shmenguin wrote:if there's a "hockey trade" out there that involves depres, shero will consider it, i'm sure. he's not untouchable and, to put it bluntly, we have more of him. i don't think he should or will be traded, but it's not impossible.

I actually think he's different from the bunch because of his size. I didn't realize he was as physical as he has been at times this season, but I certainly view that as a huge plus given our defense's lack of physical play. But, yes, I ultimately agree with you. I'm really excited to see how Shero handles the junior D-men in the coming years. Fair to say Martin and Niskanen will probably be replaced, but we'll have to wait to see.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins