Team Canada (from a Pittsburgh-ish perspective)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Team Canada (from a Pittsburgh-ish perspective)

Postby BCG51585 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:37 am

Looking at the current state of affairs, assuming NHL player participation in the Olympics, don't you guys think that a lot more Penguins might be involved than most people would think. I mean if we use the "Marleau-Thornton-Heatley" logic, wouldn't it make sense? When I look at all of these mock rosters that include those guys from Edmonton, I just shake my head. If you are picking your team don't you go with WINNERS and CHEMISTRY? Instead of Eberle, Hall, or Nugent-Hopkins shouldn't they go with Kunitz (w/ Crosby), St. Louis (w/ Stamkos), and Neal (one of the lead's best goal scorers and has history with Kunitz)? Give me talent and WINNERS! I think Letang and Fleury are locks anyhow. Thoughts and any of that? (not just the Pittsburgh angle because I LOVE St. Louis and I thought him not being in the Olympics last time was total BS!)
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Team Canada (from a Pittsburgh-ish perspective)

Postby Staggy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:45 am

For my own benefit, I'd love to see what a Stamkos-Crosby-St. Louis line would look like.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:51 am

Hmmm...you can ask me tomorrow and I'd probably give a different lineup...but I might go with something like this...

Stamkos-Crosby-St. Louis
Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry
E.Staal-Toews-Iginla
Benn-Bergeron-Giroux
Spezza or Thornton and Eberle

Doughty-Weber
Keith-Pietrangelo
Staal-Letang
Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Fleury
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BCG51585 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:55 am

mikey287 wrote:Hmmm...you can ask me tomorrow and I'd probably give a different lineup...but I might go with something like this...

Stamkos-Crosby-St. Louis
Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry
E.Staal-Toews-Iginla
Benn-Bergeron-Giroux
Spezza or Thornton and Eberle

Doughty-Weber
Keith-Pietroangelo
Staal-Letang
Seabrook

Price
Luongo
Fleury

I don't know if it's my Pittsburgh bias but how can Neal NOT be included at this point? I could see omitting Kunitz (even though at this point it would be dumb to do so), be NOT Neal...
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:03 am

Just don't really see a place for Neal...there are other snipers in the league, faster ones too...there isn't much that Neal does that makes him super special to a team as stacked as Canada's...I can see someone making a case for him...but his chemistry is with Malkin, not Crosby. I just can't really find a place for him, especially on a big rink...that's part of the reason why Thornton didn't make my squad...normally I'd bring him as a 4th liner because he can play the role and he can shutdown other teams lines...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BCG51585 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:15 am

mikey287 wrote:Just don't really see a place for Neal...there are other snipers in the league, faster ones too...there isn't much that Neal does that makes him super special to a team as stacked as Canada's...I can see someone making a case for him...but his chemistry is with Malkin, not Crosby. I just can't really find a place for him, especially on a big rink...that's part of the reason why Thornton didn't make my squad...normally I'd bring him as a 4th liner because he can play the role and he can shutdown other teams lines...

Fair enough. The bolded statement is why I cannot believe St. Louis did not make the roster last time. Speed and skill wins in the Olympics...PERIOD
BCG51585
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Sid and Letang. I think thats it. I don't think any one player gets on the team because they are good with one of the top players that's on the roster; that would limit your options severely, which they don't have to do.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Hawkeynut on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Not sure if Neal would be all that good on the bigger ice surface. He is not the best skater, I don't think he would be effective in a 3rd or 4th line and he sure as heck won't see top PP minutes.

The guy has a cannon and is somewhat defensively responsible but he wouldn't add much more to this already stacked roster. That being said, I can certainly see him being on the taxi squad for injury replacement.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Fleury will undoubtedly be in the discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the team. Other than that, Crosby and maybe Letang.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Giroux?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:06 pm

CERV96 wrote:Giroux?

I think he's 7th or 8th among Canadian centers. Maybe he's in the conversation if a couple guys get hurt.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:38 pm

To expend this to just Olympics in general...

Malkin - Obviously

I think Martin / Orpik have a chance too

I'm hoping DB becomes head coach
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Once the Pens trade for Iginla then Team Canada can get an early preview of Iginla-Crosby-Kunitz.

Seriously though, if I'm running Canada, I'd take Kunitz and play him with Sid assuming Kunitz can keep performing at a decently high level. I want a comfortable 87.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins