Perspective

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Perspective

Postby guiner on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:44 am

Wow, listen to all the glass half empty people.

The team has won 4 in a row.
They gave up a lot of goals... to the teams which are 2,3,4,5 in the conference (all behind the pens) in goals for.
They beat the best team in the conference, their hated rival, and 2 teams which have given them real tough times in the past and are playing pretty good hockey too.

I would agree that it appears as though something needs to be done with the 4th line and PK, but I really think this can likely be an inexpensive fix prior to trade deadline. I think you need to consider giving Sid some PK time too in big moments.

Despres just doesn't get beat. Bennett has a great sense for the game and skills to pull it off.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Perspective

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:59 am

I agree with ya. Makes me rage that there are so many fans who are all gloom and doom because we're giving up all these goals. Ya know, if we were only averaging 2-2.5 goals per game, then I'd be worried. But they've allowed a ton of goals in the last 4 games and they're all wins. Some people don't seem to be content unless their dumping on a player, a coach, a scheme, a GM, whatever. Yeah, the 4th line needs to get a bit grittier. Yes, the PK needs to change things up a bit just to get out of this slump. And yes, I will scratch my head if Despres gets scratched again this season because he's really played well. But I, unlike a lot of others on here, have confidence in the coaching staff to set the right matchups. And hey, how about a little credit to the other team sometimes? Oh wait, that's not allowed here either.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:15 am

If you guys can't see all the similarities between the start of this season and the end of last season, then noone on this board can help you.

40 goals against in the last 10 games against teams they might play in the playoffs (2,3,4,5 in the conference currently) is not good. 3.0 GAA per game is not good. 24th in the league in GAA for the team is not good. And there is nothing wrong with fans pointing that out and discussing the various reasons for it.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:54 am

As my old pappy used to say

"If you ain't shutting everyone out, you're last"
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby C4 Row E on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 am

This is the same exact style of play which earned the Penguins a one and done in the playoffs last year. The same thing will happen this year if corrections are not made. As we've seen in the past, there is no "magic on switch" that happens during the playoffs. Fix it now.....I'd much rather see a 3-2 or 2-1 victory with gritty and positional sound play.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:25 am

This is a great piece from an Edmonton blogger that puts things in perspective.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/3/8/4081728/oilers-preds-post-game-because-nothing-has-ever-changed

Spoiler:
Not really, but it's a funny read.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:26 pm

guiner wrote:They beat the best team in the conference

They don't play the Bruins until Tuesday. Montreal was ahead in pts because they'd played like 5 more games. Tuesday night will lend a good perspective on where this team is at.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:39 am

6 wins in a row
100 goals for
+22 goal differential
2.33 GGA over last three games

At this point in the season, I'll take it.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins