Game 25 vs. Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 25 vs. Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:01 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The Pens have won 4 in a row, including wins in Montreal, Philadelphia and Toronto. I thank my stars I'm not so miserable as to deny myself taking a little pleasure from that.

I'm happy they won of course. But I know for sure that if they continue to play like this they are going nowhere in the playoffs.

Shhhh, many people get mad when you say things like this.

No, in fact they don't.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:06 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:The Pens have won 4 in a row, including wins in Montreal, Philadelphia and Toronto. I thank my stars I'm not so miserable as to deny myself taking a little pleasure from that.

I'm happy they won of course. But I know for sure that if they continue to play like this they are going nowhere in the playoffs.

Shhhh, many people get mad when you say things like this. You're supposed to enjoy the win and take note that they've won 4 games in a row. We're not the Leafs, we're not just happy to make the playoffs, we want to go somewhere in the playoffs! Playing as we are now will take us nowhere come the post-season.

We proved that last year.

Here's some simple remedies for a couple problems we're having.

1. Scratch Tanner Glass - he's bringing nothing 5 on 5, or on the PK

2. Dress Joe Vitale - he can win draws on the PK and provides speed and a spark at even strength. He's our BEST FACEOFF man % wise!

3. Address the PK - the players we're using aren't working! Vitale, Sid, and Sutter should be taking the draws. Not Glass, not Adams. Start clearing guys from in front of the net. Was it not clear enough last night after Fleury kept letting in shots where he was screened as we ignored the Leafs player?

4. Dress Despres - EVERY GAME. No excuses to not have him and Vitale in the lineup every game.

5. Lastly, just HIT someone in our zone. Teams have free reign in our slot and high slot. We feather dust and wand wave, trying to knock the puck free and take off up the ice. Stand someone up! Play the body, impede their path, and stop poke checking and playing so soft.

I won't even talk about the PP, that's a whole other subject. These are 5 simple things that would greatly improve the areas we're struggling in! How Bylsma ignores this game after game is absolutely asinine.

edit: Btw Warren Peters is sitting in WBS, having NHL experience and an almost 60% success rate on faceoffs for the Wild last season. You want to address your PK woes? Here's a guy that might help, or at least light a fire under the guys that are failing.

So, you've basically stated everything that has been said on this board previously.

Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:09 pm

If we can somehow upgrade our roster to the point where Dupuis/Kennedy are playing on the 3rd/4th line, I think that would allow the Penguins to roll 4 lines and not be afraid of playing the 4th line with 5 minutes left with a lead.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:I'm enjoying last night's win, for sure, as it's a win, but I admit being a bit ticked off that it had to go past regulation.

Like many, i'd like to see Despres and Vitale in the lineup with increasing frequency. But for now, I'd be happy with not having the 4th line out vs. top lines in crucial late-game situations--yes, this is preaching to the choir. But beyond "DB is clueless," has anyone offered a plausible rationale for why this would be intentional? Is he trying to give them confidence? Force them to raise their game? Beat reporters, do your jobs in the pressers!

Sure, throwing newbie Beau out on a 5-3 awhile back seemed to have boosted his confidence, but that's apple/oranges. Yeah, it would be nice if we could count on any line we have being able to neutralize any line the other guys have. But you can't make a relatively sub-par 4th line (imo, made a bit poorer by not having Vitale in) be something they're not.

I, too, wish that the beat reporters would ask some penetrating questions in these pressers, instead of the generic questions that seem to be their stock-in-trade. That 4th line decision by DB was a real head scratcher and I’m sure people on this board aren’t the only ones who would love to know what kind of thought process--if any--led to that decision.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Gaucho wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Shhhh, many people get mad when you say things like this.

No, in fact they don't.

Yeah, murph, dump that notion. :D
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:26 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:If we can somehow upgrade our roster to the point where Dupuis/Kennedy are playing on the 3rd/4th line, I think that would allow the Penguins to roll 4 lines and not be afraid of playing the 4th line with 5 minutes left with a lead.

Honestly, if they are going to make a move for a winger...it needs to be a 3rd line winger that can bring grit and PK abilities. Ryan Clowe would be that guy. I think that SJ is starting to realize that they need to make some changes to be successful.

I also look at a team like Edmonton to be active. Why? Well, they are on pace to get the 1st pick overall again. It comes down to the fact that they have draft pretty much the same player over and over again. Taylor Hall...fast, gifted, goal scorer. Not very big. Eberle...same mold. RNH....same mold. Yako...same mold. They need some grit and sand paper in that line-up. So, that being said....Sam Gagner might be one that moves, however....he doesn't fit the Pens mold.

What about someone like Mark Fistric (I know he's hurt currently and I don't know how bad)? A SAH D who likes to hit. Could be an interesting idea.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:If we can somehow upgrade our roster to the point where Dupuis/Kennedy are playing on the 3rd/4th line, I think that would allow the Penguins to roll 4 lines and not be afraid of playing the 4th line with 5 minutes left with a lead.

Why not just spend less to get a good 3rd liner and accomplish the same thing?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Gaucho wrote:Looked clean to me.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Kovy27 wrote:

Honestly, if they are going to make a move for a winger...it needs to be a 3rd line winger that can bring grit and PK abilities. Ryan Clowe would be that guy. I think that SJ is starting to realize that they need to make some changes to be successful.

I also look at a team like Edmonton to be active. Why? Well, they are on pace to get the 1st pick overall again. It comes down to the fact that they have draft pretty much the same player over and over again. Taylor Hall...fast, gifted, goal scorer. Not very big. Eberle...same mold. RNH....same mold. Yako...same mold. They need some grit and sand paper in that line-up. So, that being said....Sam Gagner might be one that moves, however....he doesn't fit the Pens mold.

What about someone like Mark Fistric (I know he's hurt currently and I don't know how bad)? A SAH D who likes to hit. Could be an interesting idea.

I agree. I think our top 6 right now is fine, and will only get better because Bennett will continue to improve with Neal and Malkin. We obviously do not need any more scoring. People just need to stop talking about getting a scoring winger.

We need to address our bottom six. We don't have any size or nasty sand paper type players on the bottom six. You need those guys come playoff time. A third line of Cooke, Sutter, and Kennedy is just too soft and hasn't worked at all this year. If Shero can bring in a wing or two with toughness, size and the ability to agitate that would be a huge factor in improving the lineup.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Could Phillipe Dupuis be any worse than Tanner Glass right now?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 pm

DelPen wrote:Could Phillipe Dupuis be any worse than Tanner Glass right now?

yes, because he's hurt
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

Shhhh, many people get mad when you say things like this. You're supposed to enjoy the win and take note that they've won 4 games in a row. We're not the Leafs, we're not just happy to make the playoffs, we want to go somewhere in the playoffs! Playing as we are now will take us nowhere come the post-season.

We proved that last year.

Here's some simple remedies for a couple problems we're having.

1. Scratch Tanner Glass - he's bringing nothing 5 on 5, or on the PK

2. Dress Joe Vitale - he can win draws on the PK and provides speed and a spark at even strength. He's our BEST FACEOFF man % wise!

3. Address the PK - the players we're using aren't working! Vitale, Sid, and Sutter should be taking the draws. Not Glass, not Adams. Start clearing guys from in front of the net. Was it not clear enough last night after Fleury kept letting in shots where he was screened as we ignored the Leafs player?

4. Dress Despres - EVERY GAME. No excuses to not have him and Vitale in the lineup every game.

5. Lastly, just HIT someone in our zone. Teams have free reign in our slot and high slot. We feather dust and wand wave, trying to knock the puck free and take off up the ice. Stand someone up! Play the body, impede their path, and stop poke checking and playing so soft.

I won't even talk about the PP, that's a whole other subject. These are 5 simple things that would greatly improve the areas we're struggling in! How Bylsma ignores this game after game is absolutely asinine.

edit: Btw Warren Peters is sitting in WBS, having NHL experience and an almost 60% success rate on faceoffs for the Wild last season. You want to address your PK woes? Here's a guy that might help, or at least light a fire under the guys that are failing.

So, you've basically stated everything that has been said on this board previously.

I was basically showing how simple and minor the moves are and how they could vastly improve our struggles.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Zac Sill as 4th liner?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Zac Sill as 4th liner?

Not really an upgrade over what we already have.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Shakes wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Looked clean to me.

Paul's grandfather?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous