Scoring Race top 4

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Scoring Race top 4

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm

relantel wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
jprolley wrote:convinced now that sid could turn steve macintyre into a 10-15 goal guy

Too slow. Koltsov, though? I'd give it a chance.

wasn't Koltsov hands of stone?

Wasn't Dupuis?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 pm

relantel wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:
jprolley wrote:convinced now that sid could turn steve macintyre into a 10-15 goal guy

Too slow. Koltsov, though? I'd give it a chance.

wasn't Koltsov hands of stone?

After intensive therapy a ton of lotion and a manicure. Hands of adamantium is more like it
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby X-JR on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:i want to see a hat trick for crosby, hes been doing so much dirty work setting up people itd be nice to see him get a hatty this season

While I would like to see Sid sink a few more--and a hat trick would be great--I don’t think that is his mindset. He has always thought of himself as, first and foremost, a playmaker and has said that scoring goals isn’t something that comes naturally to him; he has to focus on it, which he has done in the past with great results. His primary objective, however, is to win games and I think that is why he is passing up what appear to be good scoring opportunities. It’s not a case of his never taking a shot--he currently has 91--but his shooting percentage is 13.2. By comparison, Kunitz has 59 shots and a shooting percentage of 28.8. I think Sid is playing the odds, and passing to whoever he thinks has the best chance of scoring. And right now, that probably isn’t him.

The problem with this is that, unfortunatley, Sid doesn't have Sid to put a perfect pass on his stick right in front of the net. 14 & 9 do.
X-JR

Postby TrueNorth on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:51 pm

X-JR wrote:
TrueNorth wrote:
iWonTheCup87 wrote:i want to see a hat trick for crosby, hes been doing so much dirty work setting up people itd be nice to see him get a hatty this season

While I would like to see Sid sink a few more--and a hat trick would be great--I don’t think that is his mindset. He has always thought of himself as, first and foremost, a playmaker and has said that scoring goals isn’t something that comes naturally to him; he has to focus on it, which he has done in the past with great results. His primary objective, however, is to win games and I think that is why he is passing up what appear to be good scoring opportunities. It’s not a case of his never taking a shot--he currently has 91--but his shooting percentage is 13.2. By comparison, Kunitz has 59 shots and a shooting percentage of 28.8. I think Sid is playing the odds, and passing to whoever he thinks has the best chance of scoring. And right now, that probably isn’t him.

The problem with this is that, unfortunatley, Sid doesn't have Sid to put a perfect pass on his stick right in front of the net. 14 & 9 do.

Yes, that certainly is true. However, he did score 51 goals not that long ago with Kunitz and Dupuis as his wingers, so he is capable of scoring a lot of goals without the perfect set-up man. Maybe it’s just a matter of getting his scoring touch back. In the meantime, he's racking up assists and there is nothing wrong with that.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby X-JR on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:58 pm

I do agree with that. If you recall, Sid unleashed a pretty good wrister against the Isles that smacked off the post so fast you barely had time to realize he took a shot. No doubt the Kid can shoot. And should shoot more. But he's the type of player that likes to share. Goals are goals I guess.
X-JR

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Seeing someone 'extrapolate' data from 25 games over a full season makes me want to cry-please, please don't do that.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby letsgopens66 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Crosby has as many points as Ovechkin and Giroux combined. Yikes.
letsgopens66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby X-JR on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 pm

While doubling as the king of the muckers & grinders.
X-JR

Postby TrueNorth on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Seeing someone 'extrapolate' data from 25 games over a full season makes me want to cry-please, please don't do that.

I am assuming that your post was directed toward me and, I must say, it has me confused. I don’t understand how my comment could be construed as an extrapolation. The point I was trying to make, and I used past data to emphasize it, is that Sid is fully capable of scoring a lot of goals, even though he does not have an elite set-up man. That’s it.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Seeing someone 'extrapolate' data from 25 games over a full season makes me want to cry-please, please don't do that.

Next time I'll use the phrase "on a pace for..." :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:12 pm

letsgopens66 wrote:Crosby has as many points as Ovechkin and Giroux combined. Yikes.

that's downright scary. Not even an indictment of those two really, as much as a sign that 87 is on a whole other plane.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cagsjr724 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:04 am

X-JR wrote:While doubling as the king of the muckers & grinders.

Great point. Sid battles in the corners and makes great plays with his stick and skates to keep the puck moving and to keep the cycle going especially behind the net. Giroux and Ovie have no skill when it comes to winning puck battles along the boards or behind the net. Another special skill Sid has.
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 am

slappybrown wrote:Kessel looks like he smokes a pack of Reds a day. Just all ashy and bloated looking at all times.

Didn't slow him down:

Mario Lemieux wrote:That was my first couple years in the league where, you know, I was smoking quite a bit, probably two packs a day.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 am

I think it was Jesse that posted it last night on Twitter(maybe on here somewhere too) but there are 3 players in the league that have as many points as Crosby has assists. 1 of them is Kunitz.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 am

Cagsjr724 wrote:
X-JR wrote:While doubling as the king of the muckers & grinders.

Great point. Sid battles in the corners and makes great plays with his stick and skates to keep the puck moving and to keep the cycle going especially behind the net. Giroux and Ovie have no skill when it comes to winning puck battles along the boards or behind the net. Another special skill Sid has.

To be fair, that contributes to the assist total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 am

Factorial wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Kessel looks like he smokes a pack of Reds a day. Just all ashy and bloated looking at all times.

Didn't slow him down:

Mario Lemieux wrote:That was my first couple years in the league where, you know, I was smoking quite a bit, probably two packs a day.

Wine and cigs, what a French-Canadian.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins