30 Thoughts: Lots of Pens related stuff

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

30 Thoughts: Lots of Pens related stuff

Postby Shakes on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:14 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/03/30-thoughts-getzlaf-contract-may-impact-perry.html

Friedman is always a good read, and there are many thoughts on the Pens. My favorite:

23. Bylsma has also spent a lot of practice time on "fronting" drills in the defensive end. Martin St. Louis really praised their work in that area following Pittsburgh's 4-3 win over Tampa on March 4. "I saw him after the game," Brooks Orpik said. "He said it was impossible to get to the net against us." Now they've got to be more consistent at it.

I think St. Louis was trolling, and Brooksie took him seriously.

Also, a bit ominous:

1. Under the previous CBA, no one thought Alex Ovechkin's annual cap hit ($9,538,462) would be eclipsed. Some teams and agents warned that the term limits in the new agreement would mean larger dollar amounts for franchise players. Getzlaf's new deal is proof we're heading in that direction. Perry's will be big, but the true bracket buster is Evgeni Malkin. Sidney Crosby recently admitted what was suspected, that he understands Malkin's AAV will be larger than his. Crosby is at $8.7 million.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 30 Thoughts: Lots of Pens related stuff

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Friedman always has a couple of tidbits like the Orpik-St. Louis exchange that the local beat writers miss.

A good read, as always.

I'm not going to speculate on Malkin's salary (as I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion in this thread and beyond by the LGP.com faithful :lol: ), but if he wants to stay here, he'll sign a contract that will work for the team and for Geno.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Important for the pens considering any trades:

What Feaster did say is this: it is "an organizational decision" that they are not going to tear down and rebuild. They're just not going to do it, no matter how much we all think they should.

to no surprise
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:26 pm

St Louis to the Pens E5
Last edited by SolidSnake on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

What did he mean when he said that the ducks now qualify for revenue sharing? I thought all teams got revenue sharing??
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 pm

MarioLives wrote:What did he mean when he said that the ducks now qualify for revenue sharing? I thought all teams got revenue sharing??

No, certain restrictions apply. I don't have the new criteria handy, but things like attendance and television market could prevent teams from receiving it. Like the Islanders, who are in a huge television market, didn't receive it before the lockout, AIUI. Still haven't fully digested the new rules yet, mainly because the ink isn't dry on the CBA yet or is just now drying...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:09 am

So the Penguins make it difficult for teams to get to the net. Well what about all the stretch passes in this broken system that give other teams icing calls and insert themselves in our zone?

bye Bylsma. Good luck on some dumb team like Flordia next year. You're a scrub.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby legame on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 am

Don't sugarcoat it. Tell us how you really feel.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 am

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 am

Most interesting comments were concerning the Oilers. Their depth on D is already lacking. They're gonna trade Whitney and they haven't held any discussions with their UFAs to be concerning new contracts. If I was RS, I'd be all over Smid. And to a lesser extent, Fistric.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Friedman always has a couple of tidbits like the Orpik-St. Louis exchange that the local beat writers miss.

Mike Prisuta mentioned this exchange the day after the game on the DVE morning show.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:09 pm

mikey287 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:What did he mean when he said that the ducks now qualify for revenue sharing? I thought all teams got revenue sharing??

No, certain restrictions apply. I don't have the new criteria handy, but things like attendance and television market could prevent teams from receiving it. Like the Islanders, who are in a huge television market, didn't receive it before the lockout, AIUI. Still haven't fully digested the new rules yet, mainly because the ink isn't dry on the CBA yet or is just now drying...

There's not much Google can't answer, but this is one of them because the deal is so new. Hopefully Freidman will expand on it. He seems to know and is credible.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins