3/12/2013 Bruins v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 3/12/2013 Bruins v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:26 pm

DelPen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Not a good period.

Two horrendous plays on defense, one by Orpik again not doing anything to move a guy in front and only adding to the screen and Eaton for some reason behind the net when Seguin was wide open in front for an easy goal.

Both goals were easily preventable by competent play. Just need to Mae no more stupid mistakes and grow a set if you are Orpik.

Offense though was Tough to watch.

How can you blame Orpik for that goal?

That's obviously how the coaching staff want them to play on the PK. We leave EVERYONE alone that is screening Fleury and hope he makes the save and then try to clear the rebound. We've seen how successful it is, so why not stick with it? It's clearly working.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Glass gave a screen too on that goal. A Chara slapped with Bergeron, Orpik and glass between Fleury he had no chance. glass needs to drop and try to block or don't even bother, Orpik needs to clear Bergeron out of shooting lanes.

Big reason when our PK fails is those two.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:26 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Boston is simply a better team. They are very well rounded. The Pens are totally one dimensional. A team with a good offense and good defense will completely outclass the Pens the way the Bruins are.

More of the same in front of the Pens' net. Fleury has no chance when players are given free reign to screen him and are left wide open in front of him.

Yet the Pens have owned them until tonight. Please.

Owned them? In what way? Boston has lost 3 games all season. I'm not sure I understand. Unless you mean in past seasons, which is basically a useless comparison to make.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 pm

it's likely a different game with malkin in the lineup. we can't afford to lose him or sid against real teams. i'm not saying it would fix all our woes tonight, but it would certainly help.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Boston is simply a better team. They are very well rounded. The Pens are totally one dimensional. A team with a good offense and good defense will completely outclass the Pens the way the Bruins are.

More of the same in front of the Pens' net. Fleury has no chance when players are given free reign to screen him and are left wide open in front of him.

don't you ever get tired from the doom and gloom spiel?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 pm

largegarlic wrote:I don't know...of course, it stinks the Pens are down 2-0, but I wouldn't say they played a horrible period. They limited the Bruins' shots and chances and had some really good chances of their own. What I take from the game so far...

1.) As we all know, the PK isn't good enough. Sure, the penalty was a stupid one, but those are going to happen and you need to be able to count on the PK to bail you out when they do happen.

2.) Again confirming widely held beliefs on here, the Pens don't get enough offensively or defensively out of their bottom six. The Bruins' four lines almost seem completely interchangeable.

The PK isn't good enough because of coaching. It is a horrible system and zero adjustments get made, even though we keep allowing the same types of goals night after night. Every power play goal we allow is a screen shot from 50-60 feet out.

A couple minor player moves and MAJOR moves in our systems and selection of players to do the job and this team is a contender. We don't need major moves, we just need a couple minor additions and major changes in our systems to make us successful.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 pm

largegarlic wrote:I don't know...of course, it stinks the Pens are down 2-0, but I wouldn't say they played a horrible period. They limited the Bruins' shots and chances and had some really good chances of their own. What I take from the game so far...

1.) As we all know, the PK isn't good enough. Sure, the penalty was a stupid one, but those are going to happen and you need to be able to count on the PK to bail you out when they do happen.

2.) Again confirming widely held beliefs on here, the Pens don't get enough offensively or defensively out of their bottom six. The Bruins' four lines almost seem completely interchangeable.

They especially suffer in this game with a weakened 2nd line as well. Chara can't play 2 shifts in a row.

In terms of the 1st period, I'd like to see Fleury make the save on Chara's shot. He was screened, but he lets the shot get between his body and the blocker. He closes up the holes on that shot and it doesn't go in.

Seguin's was just a good passing play ending with a snipe.

Neal had a great chance, and we had another good chance as well. There was no dominance by Boston other than the draws.

This is not over yet.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 pm

The Pens simply do not take the man who is parked in front of the goalie on the PK. They do not do it. I'm starting to think they are told not to.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Okay pens lets give these bs a game
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:31 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Owned them? In what way? Boston has lost 3 games all season. I'm not sure I understand. Unless you mean in past seasons, which is basically a useless comparison to make.

5 of the last 6 games with the Pens have been losses. We sucked last year too, no?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:31 pm

At the game. All the guy next to me has done is *****. 95% sure he's an LGP poster :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:31 pm

farnham16 wrote:The Pens simply do not take the man who is parked in front of the goalie on the PK. They do not do it. I'm starting to think they are told not to.

Well, either they are doing what the coach says or are tuning him out, neither is good.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm

Ummm...one period of hockey does not an entire game make
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:At the game. All the guy next to me has done is *****. 95% sure he's an LGP poster :pop:

I'm punching the guy next to me, if it's you let me know :D
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:At the game. All the guy next to me has done is *****. 95% sure he's an LGP poster :pop:

So that's what KS has been up to.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 pm

canaan wrote:

don't you ever get tired from the doom and gloom spiel?

No he doesn't because it easier to appear a genius to half wits by complaining. It makes you seem insightful. Being positive is for suckers.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 pm

So I take it the powerplay was bad? Lost the channel signal in the hotel, just as it started. (it's back now).

The pens played much better once they fell behind 2-0, they need to bury those chances though. I wouldn't write this game off just yet...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 pm

npv708 wrote:

So that's what KS has been up to.

Is KS a 50+ year old man?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 pm

shmenguin wrote:it's likely a different game with malkin in the lineup. we can't afford to lose him or sid against real teams. i'm not saying it would fix all our woes tonight, but it would certainly help.

It would help, but we could have 66 and 99 in our lineup and with Bylsma behind our bench against a trapping team, we're still screwed.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see us get shutout. Boston can absolutely shut teams down once they have a lead. This is the exact start we didn't want. If we can get an early bounce and score a quick one, we'll have a good shot.

I wonder how many times Dougie Hamilton has been scratched this season? Oh none. :)
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

DelPen wrote:

I'm punching the guy next to me, if it's you let me know :D

:lol:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

They especially suffer in this game with a weakened 2nd line as well. Chara can't play 2 shifts in a row.

In terms of the 1st period, I'd like to see Fleury make the save on Chara's shot. He was screened, but he lets the shot get between his body and the blocker. He closes up the holes on that shot and it doesn't go in.

Seguin's was just a good passing play ending with a snipe.

Neal had a great chance, and we had another good chance as well. There was no dominance by Boston other than the draws.

This is not over yet.

If eaton skates in front of the net instead of behind Seguins goal probably doesn't happen.

More worried about the offense not getting anything going or blowing good chances than the defense. Just need to stop being stupid, as usual.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Not going to draw too many conclusions from this potential Conf Final since Malkin is out. I think our bottom six fears are reaffirmed tonight though against a good/deep Boston team.

Their 4th line is better than our 4th line and possibly better than our 3rd line. Their 3rd line is better than our 4th and 3rd line.

I don't see us getting physically manhandled (yet) as I had expected but I do see that we have 4 forwards on the roster that don't bring much to the table. You can't have that many passengers on a deep playoff run.

The saying goes "in the playoffs the team with the best 3rd line wins". If you believe that, Shero has work to do.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Steve wrote:So I take it the powerplay was bad? Lost the channel signal in the hotel, just as it started. (it's back now).

The pens played much better once they fell behind 2-0, they need to bury those chances though. I wouldn't write this game off just yet...

Nothing going on the PP so far. Gonna be hard to get anything against Boston's PK. They are as good as it gets.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

5 of the last 6 games with the Pens have been losses. We sucked last year too, no?

When did they "suck"? We were much more responsible defensively last year, until Crosby returned.

As Malkiel would say, past performances do not predict future trends.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Can't blame Eaton for not cleaning up TK's mess.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins