Is this normal?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is this normal?

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 am

sil wrote:Odd thread title. I was a bit worried I'd open it up to find an unflattering picture of a random part of the human body.

this seems to be a good place to remind people that such pictures should be sent to *** via PM, because he is a doctor.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby roland on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 am

shmenguin wrote:you want unpopular. i'll give you unpopular. "lord stanley, scratch their names on your fabled cup" was a supremely lame line. like, really lame.

even the calls from last night...eh. i didn't know he goes right to the schtick after like every goal.

His call at the end of game 6 gets more attention than the win in game 7.

roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:44 am

roland wrote:
shmenguin wrote:you want unpopular. i'll give you unpopular. "lord stanley, scratch their names on your fabled cup" was a supremely lame line. like, really lame.

even the calls from last night...eh. i didn't know he goes right to the schtick after like every goal.

that's better. sounded like something a real human might say - which is always good.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am

"... and so i told the guy, 'what do i need another dozen oranges for? I already bought a bushel of clementines!' I prefer clementines because they are smaller... like candy. OH... A goal! HEEEEEE'S GOING TO SET FIRE TO YOU AND THROW YOU IN A SHALLOW GRAAAAAAAVE!"
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby roland on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:
roland wrote:

that's better. sounded like something a real human might say - which is always good.

I do agree that the Stanley Cup win call was a bit lame. You'd think he'd have something prepared that was better than that but whatever. Pens won the Cup is the main thing.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Froggy wrote:"... and so i told the guy, 'what do i need another dozen oranges for? I already bought a bushel of clementines!' I prefer clementines because they are smaller... like candy. OH... A goal! HEEEEEE'S GOING TO SET FIRE TO YOU AND THROW YOU IN A SHALLOW GRAAAAAAAVE!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You are on today, Froggy. I read your post in his voice and almost keeled over. But it's not really like that!

I do like learning about the other team and their players, too, and I think Lange and Bourque do a great job of that. They appreciate the talent on the other side.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 pm

First time on so please, be gentle. US Air Force brought me to the St. Louis area years ago so I don't get the radio broadcasts from back home.
Gotta tell ya, I miss hearing Mike Lange calling games. Buddies here really get a kick out of hearing his calls when we can find them on the web.
And hey, who wouldn't after listening to John Kelly and Darren (Holy Jumpin') Pang (Holy Jumpin'!) everytime the Blues are on the ice!
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 pm

I definately agree with the Game 7 call. I've always loved Doc's tho and will never forget it. Mainly because I've watched it so many times.

"FOUGHTOFFBYFLEURY!! ---THE HORN SOUNDS AND THE PENGUINS HAVE WON THE STANLEY CUP!"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby roland on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Doc gets a little too excited at times....especially if a shot hits the post, or if its "waffle boarded" aside to the corner. Does any other announcer ever use the term "waffle boarded"
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Doc loves what he does. Can't fault him for that. His job is to keep all viewers interested.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't care much for Emerick either
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penmyst on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:11 pm

I always preferred Lange's regular calling throughout the game, as opposed to the gimmicky lines after goals. Outside of that period of seeming on-air drunkenness, when Lange is in his normal state of mind he is very good. Fairly observant, even-handed, not too much of a homer, willing to talk about good plays bad plays by BOTH teams etc. Reminds me of what I like about listening to announcers in sports that aren't American, as American broadcasting in the modern age is real drek.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkin0017 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:40 am

I often times get chills (literally) listening to Mike Lange's radio replays. Kind of weird but the guy is just awesome.

If you thought that was weird, I get erect every time I hear his replays. :scared: :shock: :scared:
Malkin0017
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:41 am

:pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 am

That is weird, and an amazing response.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 am

Malkin0017 wrote:
I often times get chills (literally) listening to Mike Lange's radio replays. Kind of weird but the guy is just awesome.

If you thought that was weird, I get erect every time I hear his replays. :scared: :shock: :scared:

If the goal call lasts longer than 4 hours consult a physician
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins