Game 27 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 27 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:17 am

Pens win 3-2

- Sutter is starting to make me believe he's a "big game player", as was the guy he replaced. Cool under pressure, great anticipation and shot on the winner
- A classic MAF win. Makes the doubters scream, and the believers scream louder.
- Loved the crowd after the Pens first goal. It seemed to really raise the Pens play and shrink the mighty Bruins
- Another comeback win after being down by 2 periods. While doubts seem commonplace on this board, at some point, like right now, LGP'ers can chose to believe this team is #1
- Late game scuffle between Crosby - Seguin (NBC feed mentioned it, but I didn't seen anything) Can anyone provide insight into what happened?
- PK gives up another one, rent is free at the top of the crease, feels like every opponent is having success there vs. the PK
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 27 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby no name on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 am

never thought we would come back, just didn't seem like our night.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 am

If Shero brings in a guy that can play good position hockey and move guys from the net along with a PKing forward I think this team is going to go deep in the playoffs.

-I thought they were cooked after the terrible 5 on 3 showing.
- Kunitz better keep this up in the playoffs. It's not his moniker but hopefully that changes this year
-Brent? Sutter out of no where
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Azkar on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:32 am

Pavel Bure wrote:-I thought they were cooked after the terrible 5 on 3 showing.

you must've seen a different 5 on 3 than I saw...

I remember like 3 really good opportunities, and Neal hitting the post
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:34 am

- Pens played well and didn't get frustrated, only got more motivated to break the Bruins' system down.
- Aside from the bench minor, there were no dumb penalties.
- How about that Sutter... and Bennet!
- Did the Pens just play the Devils?
- If there was ever a momentum building game, that was it.
- Finally, to all you trolls on the GDT last night... EAT A BAG OF PUCKS!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:35 am

Azkar wrote:

They didn't finish it well, but overall for a majority of the 5 on 3 they were in control and getting chances. People have to remember the Bruins only let in 1 goal on the PK on the road ALL SEASON!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
Azkar wrote:

They didn't finish it well, but overall for a majority of the 5 on 3 they were in control and getting chances. People have to remember the Bruins only let in 1 goal on the PK on the road ALL SEASON!

Perhaps the Pens should watch some tape of the Bruins' PK. It is literally the exact opposite of what the Pens do.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 am

Azkar wrote:

I guess terrible wasn't the right word. More like the elusive "puck luck" didn't seem to be with the Pens last night... you make your own luck though.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
Azkar wrote:

A 5 on 3 that doesn't result in a goal is a terrible one.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 am

- Brandon Sutter was amazing!
- Very encouraging to see this team not quit and come from behind - AGAIN! Very encouraging. :thumb:
- How many posts did the Pens hit in the first two periods? The final score could have been very different had 1-2 gone in.
- It is a great sign when the contributions come from unexpected players - that's what marked the 1990-91 Cup team. :!:
- This is one of those games that is going to play on the minds of the Bruins should we face them in the playoffs. :scared:
- We are still missing a piece - a big, crease-clearing, scary defenseman. Paging Ulf Samuelson!

But what a great win!!!! :fist:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:46 am

joopen wrote:Perhaps the Pens should watch some tape of the Bruins' PK. It is literally the exact opposite of what the Pens do.

They need not look at footage of the Bruins PK but of their own from last season. The Pens had a very similar PK last year that the Bruins are employing this year. Active sticks, getting in the lanes and faces of the point men etc.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 am

This was the kind of win the Pens haven't had in a long time. The missed 5-on-3 could have been deflating, and it was a great effort by the boys to get the breakthrough and then keep pushing for the win.

Also, the Pens heart Seidenberg.

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 am

This game reminded me of the penguins when they use to go up on 2 goal leads and then let the other team inexplicably come back and win against them... except fortunes were reversed. It was still a good game to watch.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 am

We have a number of players that are accelerating as the year matures and that is exciting. Kunitz, Bennett, Sutter just keep getting better and better. We lose Malkin and nothing misses a beat!

only other thoughts:
- Jeffrey is not strong enough to handle the 2nd line. He looks minor league out there. He has ET moments out there where he looks like he is just trying to not make mistakes. There is a stunning difference between him and BB.
- Where did TK go in the 3rd period? Maybe it was my eyes, but I swear I didn't see him the final 7 minutes. I would've put him on the crash line instead of Glass but it did not happen.
- While I'm not an Eaton fan, I thought he looked pretty good last night. Oh well.

And my parting words, get ready for Bortuzzo or Despres to be traded. You just get that feeling...
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 am

Last night's game in the top 5, maybe 3 at the consol. More than a few fans decided to skip at the end of the 2nd. hee - haw !!!
Nothing to do about Z Chara goal, only a fool gets in front to block that shot. Flower shut them down after the 1st !
Boston has size , speed, and a swagger... they would be tres' difficult in a series. But as the penguins showed; don't ever count them out of a game.
Brandon Sutter- he's scored some clutchy type of goals. I want the vitamins that Chris Kunitz takes!
Kristopher Letang, he of the 8 shots... they're getting better and more on net. He played hard and fast all night.
Sidney; you keep passing ... of course B Sutter is going to take the shot. ;) The captain, as were all the forwards, relentless in their forecheck. Against the bruins, you have to , or they will slap you around all game.
Going home, I heard the post-game; was milbury at the game, or just reporting after the game? Either way, up yours Jag!

That's hockey; leading all but six / 7 minutes and poof
Spoiler:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IamtheWaris on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 am

For all the yinzers who whine about Letang, go re-watch the game last night. Easily the best player on the ice. Whether he sucks on the power play or not, he is worth whatever Shero gives him on his next contract. And no, Scott Harrington is not better than Letang nor going to be better than Letang. Amazing how easily the unseen gets overrated.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 am

The downside to scoring goals at home is the girl/lady sitting in what appears to be close proximity to the commentators box and wailing like Yoko everytime the Pens light the lamp.

As I said last night, we like Brent Sutter now, but we'll love him in the playoffs. No, we should not move him to one of the scoring lines, but we should get him a RW with a little hockey sense.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 am

Eh, Letang isn't the best player on the ice if he is sharing the ice with 87 or 71 :slug:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 am

-Talked with a buddy of mine who is a boston fan, said this win actually has him worried because letting there foot off the gas cost them in the playoffs last year, he said he you don't keep up the pressure against the top scoring team in the league and should expect to win
-Kennedy is just bad, not sure if he misses his buddy Jordan, but he should have buried that chance from Sid, he shot it right into the Chest. he is the weak point on the third line right now, he also softly sticked checked seguin on the b's second goal.
-Eaton is the perfect D partner for Letang, not flashy but is always positionally sound.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:28 am

Gaucho wrote:The downside to scoring goals at home is the girl/lady sitting in what appears to be close proximity to the commentators box and wailing like Yoko everytime the Pens light the lamp.

As I said last night, we like Brent Sutter now, but we'll love him in the playoffs. No, we should not move him to one of the scoring lines, but we should get him a RW with a little hockey sense.

Sutter has done what I expected him to do and more. He is a smart hockey player that is extremely capable of being everything the pens need and more.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 am

darkstar57 wrote:-Talked with a buddy of mine who is a boston fan, said this win actually has him worried because letting there foot off the gas cost them in the playoffs last year, he said he you don't keep up the pressure against the top scoring team in the league and should expect to win
-Kennedy is just bad, not sure if he misses his buddy Jordan, but he should have buried that chance from Sid, he shot it right into the Chest. he is the weak point on the third line right now, he also softly sticked checked seguin on the b's second goal.
-Eaton is the perfect D partner for Letang, not flashy but is always positionally sound.

I honestly don't think Boston was ever in complete control. Sure the scoreboard had them leading for most of the game, but they were dominated for long stretches where they looked completely out manned.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:31 am

Brody Sutter is definitely showing himself to be a valuable player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 am

penny lane wrote:Last night's game in the top 5, maybe 3 at the consol. More than a few fans decided to skip at the end of the 2nd. hee - haw !!!
Nothing to do about Z Chara goal, only a fool gets in front to block that shot. Flower shut them down after the 1st !
Boston has size , speed, and a swagger... they would be tres' difficult in a series. But as the penguins showed; don't ever count them out of a game.
Brandon Sutter- he's scored some clutchy type of goals. I want the vitamins that Chris Kunitz takes!
Kristopher Letang, he of the 8 shots... they're getting better and more on net. He played hard and fast all night.
Sidney; you keep passing ... of course B Sutter is going to take the shot. ;) The captain, as were all the forwards, relentless in their forecheck. Against the bruins, you have to , or they will slap you around all game.
Going home, I heard the post-game; was milbury at the game, or just reporting after the game? Either way, up yours Jag!

That's hockey; leading all but six / 7 minutes and poof
Spoiler:

Such language, penny. :)

Milbury and JR gave the Pens their due after the game. They had to, of course. But it was great to see them change their tune from "The Bruins are COMPLETELY dominating," which they were spewing for most of the night.

The point is, even if the Pens had lost, this was a pretty even game, with the shots not really telling the whole story IMO, and the Pens got the better of them for much of the 2nd and 3rd periods.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SMTM on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:We have a number of players that are accelerating as the year matures and that is exciting. Kunitz, Bennett, Sutter just keep getting better and better. We lose Malkin and nothing misses a beat!

only other thoughts:
- Jeffrey is not strong enough to handle the 2nd line. He looks minor league out there. He has ET moments out there where he looks like he is just trying to not make mistakes. There is a stunning difference between him and BB.
- Where did TK go in the 3rd period? Maybe it was my eyes, but I swear I didn't see him the final 7 minutes. I would've put him on the crash line instead of Glass but it did not happen.
- While I'm not an Eaton fan, I thought he looked pretty good last night. Oh well.

And my parting words, get ready for Bortuzzo or Despres to be traded. You just get that feeling...

I could not agree more about Jeffrey. That guy is a much worse substitute for Malkin on the second line than Sutter. Mercifully, HCDB recognized that and made the adjustment in the 3rd period. Jeffrey is a versatile minor leaguer, but has no business stepping on to the top six spots.
SMTM
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby k0la on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 am

- So many games turned around in the 3rd period. Last season they couldn't do one before most of the season was over.
- Only 4th liners and 3rd pairing defensemen that raise doubts means the Pens got what they need, just small adjustments left.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins