Game 27 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 27 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Azkar wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:-I thought they were cooked after the terrible 5 on 3 showing.

you must've seen a different 5 on 3 than I saw...

I remember like 3 really good opportunities, and Neal hitting the post

I good 5 on 3 scores a goal.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
Dickie Dunn
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:47 pm

pittsburghsportsfan wrote:Brandon Sutter!

He seems pretty clutch. He had scored the game tying goal vs Philly until 30 seconds later when Vokoun let in that stinker, had the winner vs MTL and then the two last night. I'm getting the Max Talbot with twice the talent vibe from him. I'd take 15-20 goals a year that are clutch and meaningful over 25-30 that are scored in bunches in blowouts.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NebraskaNic on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Call me crazy, but I feel like since about a week and a half ago Consol has made a nice transition from over the top piped-in music to a bit more organ music and a bit more of a 'sporty' environment and the crowd has reacted. Seems like the crowd at the CEC has been much improved. Don't see threads complaining about noise lately.
NebraskaNic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:04 pm

NebraskaNic wrote:Call me crazy, but I feel like since about a week and a half ago Consol has made a nice transition from over the top piped-in music to a bit more organ music and a bit more of a 'sporty' environment and the crowd has reacted. Seems like the crowd at the CEC has been much improved. Don't see threads complaining about noise lately.

You mean the crowd that remains until the end, right? :D
I agree it's been louder. But I don't know if that's due to a change in the media show, or just better hockey on the ice. I will try to pay attention to the sound on Sunday to see if I notice a difference in person.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:08 pm

-Game blacked out for me AGAIN so I've got a few questions (I hate only seeing the goals, gives no clue to the flow of the game)
-What were the D pairings? Was Letang with Eaton and did it work? Was Engo OK or were we all screaming for MOAR DESPRES!?!
-Did the 4th line pick it up at all? Can't blame Glass moving from Chara's shot but did the PK continue to disappoint?
-Was Martin on the 5on3 PP? Did he get any decent PP time?
Thanks!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:09 pm

It was insanely loud last night, both ways. Bass is really high for the music. Much higher than Nationwide Arena.

Crowd was insane when the game was tied.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:12 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:I think I remember reading somewhere that Rutherford did not want to take a chance of losing out on Staal by waiting a year. RS did outstanding work with a bad situation.

But still fire RS. And DB while we're at it.

Don't forget Steiggy

And Sam's dog while you're at it!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NebraskaNic on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Great58 wrote:You mean the crowd that remains until the end, right? :D
I agree it's been louder. But I don't know if that's due to a change in the media show, or just better hockey on the ice. I will try to pay attention to the sound on Sunday to see if I notice a difference in person.

Yeah, although from the television broadcasts it seemed like most everyone stayed, obviously outside of camera shot was a different story.

I don't watch the audience more than I do the on-ice action... I'm not that judgemental. :pop:
NebraskaNic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:38 pm

NebraskaNic wrote:
Great58 wrote:You mean the crowd that remains until the end, right? :D

Yeah, although from the television broadcasts it seemed like most everyone stayed, obviously outside of camera shot was a different story.

I don't watch the audience more than I do the on-ice action... I'm not that judgemental. :pop:

There was a mass exodus after they pulled the 50/50 with 7:40 left in the 3rd.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Luckybreak wrote:-Game blacked out for me AGAIN so I've got a few questions (I hate only seeing the goals, gives no clue to the flow of the game)
-What were the D pairings? Was Letang with Eaton and did it work? Was Engo OK or were we all screaming for MOAR DESPRES!?!
-Did the 4th line pick it up at all? Can't blame Glass moving from Chara's shot but did the PK continue to disappoint?
-Was Martin on the 5on3 PP? Did he get any decent PP time?
Thanks!

Letang was mostly with Eaton. I didn't even notice Engellend which is always good. I'd play Despres but no one sucked last night except Orpik's usual inept PK ability.

The 4th line blew, mostly due to Glass. And he was either late to the shooting lane or overskated it, he didn't chose to move out of Chara's shot. He really needed to drop though, him, Orpik and Bergeron all screened Fleury.

I think it was Crosby, Letang, Bennett, Neal and Kunitz on the 5-3 mostly. martin was out there with Nisky. Could be wrong on that though.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Gaucho wrote:As I said last night, we like Brent Sutter now, but we'll love him in the playoffs. No, we should not move him to one of the scoring lines, but we should get him a RW with a little hockey sense.

Hope we love him in the playoffs...he's never been in the post-season before in his 3 years. Well, I guess BRENT has, but not BRANDON :D
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm not that judgemental.

Guy next to me left with 5 minutes left in the Islanders game, fearful Dupuis would get the HT and then he'd feel obilgated to throw his hat. He wanted to keep his hat it seems. Kunitz's trick wasn't enough for him. :face:
So I guess I am that judgemental, I thought it was lame. At least he left his sock monkey, my kids like that.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

DelPen wrote:Letang was mostly with Eaton. I didn't even notice Engellend which is always good. I'd play Despres but no one sucked last night except Orpik's usual inept PK ability.

The 4th line blew, mostly due to Glass. And he was either late to the shooting lane or overskated it, he didn't chose to move out of Chara's shot. He really needed to drop though, him, Orpik and Bergeron all screened Fleury.

I think it was Crosby, Letang, Bennett, Neal and Kunitz on the 5-3 mostly. martin was out there with Nisky. Could be wrong on that though.

Thanks DelPen :D

Glass is the first of Shero's 4th line pickups I've been really disappointed with. I find him strangely unlikeable - not in the Barnaby/Ruutu way - he just seems devoid of the charisma/energy that made up for Asham or Rupp's other shortcomings.

Re Letang-Eaton: one of the guys who never shows on highlights but seems to be surprising lots of people, is this pairing likely to stick? And if so is Nisky locked into the #5 slot/trade bait at this point?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:21 pm

-Heck of a 40 mintue effort
-Forecheck was great
-Hitting was solid
-Sutter has the clutch gene
-Nice to see the team have two games in a row where they played solid defense

-Our bottom six is bad and needs fixed
-Our PK is a huge problem
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 pm

darkstar57 wrote:Chest.
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 pm

farnham16 wrote:-Heck of a 40 mintue effort
-Forecheck was great
-Hitting was solid
-Sutter has the clutch gene
-Nice to see the team have two games in a row where they played solid defense

-Our bottom six is bad and needs fixed
-Our PK is a huge problem

Agree with your assessment of the bottom six... but for me, its three guys that are the problem, not all six: TK, CMFA, and Glass. I don't see how TK fits anywhere anymore, and Adams is just a waste. Cookie is fine, though I wish he'd just make the hit sometimes (yes, really) and I think Jeffrey doesn't fit the system whatsoever.

Our aggression in general in our own zone is questionable. Its like we're not comfortable on defense at all. Bad example since it didn't end well, but the B's were happy to play defense against the best offensive weapon in the game, and probably would have done the same if Geno was playing also. Brooks, Engo, Tanger and Nisky look like they are anxious and uneasy back there, and its a constant series of mistakes & turnovers.

How Eaton has not earned his 3rd pair spot and how 47/58 isn't your top pair is completely beyond me. No leadership on the blue line these days, at all.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 am

After a few games,Eaton surely looks good.
Eaton - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Despres - Niskanen
x - Engo, Bortuzzo

until trade deadline..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins