Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby tfrizz on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:46 am

So, no surprise, but I've seen Letang being named favourite for the Norris Trophy this season. The other two names that come up frequently are Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Alex Pietrangelo.

I don't know how I feel about that. I always hated the idea that the Norris goes to the highest scoring defenseman, and OEL is head-and-shoulders over him defensively. Not to mention a Norris Trophy this season gives him a ton of leverage heading into a contract year.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,097
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 am

I can't remember but I think it was NHL.com that posted an Norris Tracker article a day or two ago and named Chara the front runner and Letang and Ekman-Larsson as in the running
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:12 pm
Location: H-burg

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 am

Letang has struggled some on defensive this year so i dont consider him for the Norris right now. His offense has been great but i also hate how they just give it to the highest scoring D man. Mike Green is complete trash at DEFENSE and he got it because he had an offensive explosion the one year. I always tell caps fans here how overrated he is and how bad he is at defense but they are so stupid and say no he won a Norris blah blah.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,346
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:13 am

iWonTheCup87 wrote:Letang has struggled some on defensive this year so i dont consider him for the Norris right now. His offense has been great but i also hate how they just give it to the highest scoring D man. Mike Green is complete trash at DEFENSE and he got it because he had an offensive explosion the one year. I always tell caps fans here how overrated he is and how bad he is at defense but they are so stupid and say no he won a Norris blah blah.

I mean Mike Green's offensive year was historic for a D-man. He was the first one since Kevin freakin Hatcher to score 30 goals in a season. He also didn't win the Norris or make the Olympic team so I'd say voters certainly take more than offense into consideration.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,166
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 am

Those Caps fans are even stupider than the usual ones, as Mike Green has never won the Norris.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,573
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby Admin on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:17 am

mikey287 wrote:Those Caps fans are even stupider than the usual ones, as Mike Green has never won the Norris.

He won in 2004-05. :lol:
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10,805
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby meow on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 am

Admin wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Those Caps fans are even stupider than the usual ones, as Mike Green has never won the Norris.

He won in 2004-05. :lol:

I won the Hart that year
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,817
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby beLIEve on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 am

Inexplicably leaving the front of the net to attack Bergeron last night, a player who couldn't have been further from scoring position, directly lead to the Seguin goal. That play alone should have him out of contention for the trophy. And I'm not a Letang hater by any means.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 am

oreally.jpg
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,342
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby Penspal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am

If Mike Green and Erik Karlsson can win, then why can't Kris Letang? I understand what defence has historically meant, but these players redefine the position.

- 27 pts in 24 games, leads all defenceman in scoring by NINE points
- plus 11 (tied for 5th best)
- avgs over 26 mins a game (6th most)
- only 8 penalty minutes (for a supposed hothead, he's keeping his cool)
- While not a tall player, he's strong as an Ox and has crushed players this year.
- skates like the wind and has erased chances due to his speed

He's been very consistent while having various D partners all year. Whether he wins or not, he's very worthy of Norris consideration
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,364
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby meow on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 am

Why do people think Mike Green won a Norris? Did not happen
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,817
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 am

Penspal wrote:If Mike Green and Erik Karlsson can win, then why can't Kris Letang? I understand what defence has historically meant, but these players redefine the position.

- 27 pts in 24 games, leads all defenceman in scoring by NINE points
- plus 11 (tied for 5th best)
- avgs over 26 mins a game (6th most)
- only 8 penalty minutes (for a supposed hothead, he's keeping his cool)
- While not a tall player, he's strong as an Ox and has crushed players this year.
- skates like the wind and has erased chances due to his speed

He's been very consistent while having various D partners all year. Whether he wins or not, he's very worthy of Norris consideration

Mike Green never won.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,166
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:00 am

Letang better win. If not, there will be outrage the likes of which has not been seen since Mike Green won the Norris Trophy
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,490
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:08 am

It's not that Letang can't...but Erik Karlsson's season was a historically great one in terms of offense. Just ridiculous.

In fact, the Finnish season ended recently and Karlsson played there during the lockout, so obviously he left when the NHL started up when the season ended, he still led all d-men in the league in points despite leaving at the halfway point. In fact, his points per game average was only challenged by a couple forwards in that league...a league that I would rate around 5th in the world.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,573
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 am

Froggy wrote:Letang better win. If not, there will be outrage the likes of which has not been seen since Mike Green won the Norris Trophy


Coffee everywhere and I ain't even mad. :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,473
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 am

Would be really easy to fix by creating the Bobby Orr trophy for highest scoring defenseman, and leaving Norris trophy for best defensive play by a defenseman. Should have been done years ago.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Davie, Florida @RandomHockeyGuy

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:32 am

Mike Green deserved the Norris, but Chara won it.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby relantel on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 am

wasn't too long ago that Letang and Martin were tied in points.

If Letang can maintain/widen his scoring margin, and keep improving on the +/- (or stay above +10), he would be a shoo-in to be a finalist. Double the margin might earn the trophy itself.

Just recall the last time he had a Norris-like start - 10/11 - where he fell off the face of the earth when 87/71 were out.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,946
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 am

FLPensFan wrote:Would be really easy to fix by creating the Bobby Orr trophy for highest scoring defenseman, and leaving Norris trophy for best defensive play by a defenseman. Should have been done years ago.


The Coffey Cup?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,573
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:43 am

mikey287 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Would be really easy to fix by creating the Bobby Orr trophy for highest scoring defenseman, and leaving Norris trophy for best defensive play by a defenseman. Should have been done years ago.


The Coffey Cup?


The Bourque Bowl?
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Davie, Florida @RandomHockeyGuy

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am

the green jacket
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,205
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am

"Best Defenseman" and "Most Points by a Defenseman".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,548
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am

Letang isn't even the best defenseman on his team!
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,490
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby NashvilleCat on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:48 am

FLPensFan wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Would be really easy to fix by creating the Bobby Orr trophy for highest scoring defenseman, and leaving Norris trophy for best defensive play by a defenseman. Should have been done years ago.


The Coffey Cup?


The Bourque Bowl?

The Bobby Orb?
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,407
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Sunny Brentwood, Tennessee

Re: Media-types have Letang as front-runner for Norris

Postby mikey287 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:51 am

And we have a new winner!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,573
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

e-mail