Vokoun Effect

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Vokoun's magic

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Didn't hear about that pep talk. What did he say?

"According to Ron Cook of the Post-Gazette and 93.7 The Fan, Vokoun told his teammates to stop playing dumb hockey. Stop making silly plays with the puck, play simple, and everything will fall into place."

:thumb: Thanks for providing a serious answer to my question, Steve Dave!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bh on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:56 pm

meow wrote:If they have to have their back-up goalie light a fire under the team, they gots problems.
Why? It shows they respect TV and are willing to take what he says seriously. They needed someone to light a fire under them. I'm sure you get tired of any head coach yelling at you after about 5 games. When a teammate goes off on you, it's a different story. Kudos to Vokoun if true. That's what leadership is. That's what veterans are for.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Gaucho wrote:"Fire Bylsma"

Gaucho wrote:Actually, I think he just said "put in the backup, Dan".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dbizzle66 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:48 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I heard that Vokoun tombstoned Tanner Glass at the intermission

This comment is full of win :thumb:
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Vokoun Effect

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Vokoun Effect UPDATED
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Steve Dave wrote:Vokoun Effect UPDATED

Tell em, Steve Dave.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Since Vokoun's pep talk prior to the 2nd period against the Flyers on March 7th, the Pens have been impressive at both ends of the ice.
Since then, the Pens(6-0 including comeback win against the Flyers) have given up 8 goals in 345 minutes for a 1.39 GAA and have been scoring 4.00 G/G(not counting Sid's shootout winner against Tor).
-UPDATED
Last edited by Steve Dave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 pm

It's a nice story, but I think it's pretty naive to think that the dramatic shift in play we've seen is the result of a speech from Vokoun. This change in direction is from DB. I missed today's game, but prior to that, the difference in style has been night and day. It's inconceivable this is what DB's been preaching all along and the players just weren't listening.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dbizzle66 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:37 am

Desiato wrote:It's a nice story, but I think it's pretty naive to think that the dramatic shift in play we've seen is the result of a speech from Vokoun. This change in direction is from DB. I missed today's game, but prior to that, the difference in style has been night and day. It's inconceivable this is what DB's been preaching all along and the players just weren't listening.

This man disagrees
Image :scared:
If you look long enough, you'll see the Vokoun effect is real
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I heard that Vokoun tombstoned Tanner Glass at the intermission

tombstoned?
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 am

Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:12 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:Image

Thanks for the clarification.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 am

Desiato wrote:It's a nice story, but I think it's pretty naive to think that the dramatic shift in play we've seen is the result of a speech from Vokoun. This change in direction is from DB. I missed today's game, but prior to that, the difference in style has been night and day. It's inconceivable this is what DB's been preaching all along and the players just weren't listening.

Inconceivable? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. - Inigo Montoya

Players tune out coaches all the time and sometimes it takes a different voice to bring them back to earth. I hope it's true because it means that this team can play the type of hockey that wins a Stanley Cup and only needs some tweaks rather than a shakeup.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:31 pm

UPDATED:

7-0
405 minutes
9 GA / 1.33 GAA
25 GF / 3.70 G/G
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Steve Dave wrote:UPDATED:

7-0
405 minutes
9 GA / 1.33 GAA
25 GF / 3.70 G/G

Vokoun has backed up his words with strong goaltending as well. I happen to believe that is MUCH more important than his speech. Now, he has earned the right to speak again if he wants to.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Desiato on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:07 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:

Inconceivable? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. - Inigo Montoya

Players tune out coaches all the time and sometimes it takes a different voice to bring them back to earth. I hope it's true because it means that this team can play the type of hockey that wins a Stanley Cup and only needs some tweaks rather than a shakeup.

Of course, but not to that degree. Players, at least on this team, don't just play a completely different system on their own for weeks. If they have been, without serious repercussions, the team is in worse shape than even the harshest critics here have imagined.

Believe what you want to, but I'm giving credit where it's due: DB.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:36 am

I say the latest Philly game (the 2nd & 3rd periods to be exact) was the turning point of the season. The Pens went from taking stupid penalties and playing run and gun in the first, to playing disciplined Penguins hockey in the 2nd and third. From that moment on, the Pens have not looked back. So if Vokoun did speak up during the first intermission, he gets an ata guy from me!
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NashvilleCat on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 am

Desiato wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

Of course, but not to that degree. Players, at least on this team, don't just play a completely different system on their own for weeks. If they have been, without serious repercussions, the team is in worse shape than even the harshest critics here have imagined.

Believe what you want to, but I'm giving credit where it's due: DB.

Having a good "Dutch Uncle" talk work doesn't mean that Bylsma isn't a good coach or that he didn't play an important part in the turnaround. After all, getting back to his style of play is the turn in this case. Catalysts only work if the other ingredients are in place and DB and RS have done that. I just wouldn't discount a new voice from a veteran who also elevated his play as being "the straw that stirs the drink" as one of the old NHL video game announcers used to say.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins