Shero article

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shero article

Postby newarenanow on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:50 am

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/3 ... ins-sutter

A pretty good article regarding Shero and his trades. I think overall, he has done a great job.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Shero article

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 am

He must be the most charismatic and convincing guy ever when talking to other GMs.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Good read. I almost forgot this actually happened:

What separates Shero from Patrick, to this point, is that he has avoided the epic disaster — the Markus Naslund-for-Alek Stojanov or Glen Murray-for-Eddie Olczyk type deal.

Can't wait to see how things play out over the next month.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 pm

I still give the edge to CP because of the number of years the Pens were competitive and the overall playoff success. Shero certainly has an opportunity to surpass him, though.

IMO, his true shortcoming was not the bad trades like the Zubov/Murray/Naslund deals, but in failing to adapt to how the league had changed in terms of coaching. His biggest failures were hiring Johnston, Hlinka, Brooks, Kehoe, and Olczyk.

If you wonder why I'm so sensitive about the Pens coaching now, it is mostly because of EJ who also had a strong regular season record during his second stint coaching the Pens. Those Pens, like the Pens today, had an opportunity to be prolific, but wasted that potential on scoring titles and run and gun hockey.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Desiato wrote:I still give the edge to CP because of the number of years the Pens were competitive and the overall playoff success.

Certainly doesn't hurt having Lemieux, Jagr, Stevens, Francis, Murphy, etc.

The talent those CP teams had far outclasses the talent of RS teams because of the salary cap.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:53 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Desiato wrote:I still give the edge to CP because of the number of years the Pens were competitive and the overall playoff success.

Certainly doesn't hurt having Lemieux, Jagr, Stevens, Francis, Murphy, etc.

The talent those CP teams had far outclasses the talent of RS teams because of the salary cap.

CP inherited Mario, Coffey, Stevens and Recchi, off the top of my head. You certainly can't fault him for drafting Jagr and making great trades to obtain Francis, Mullen, Murphy, etc, to build the dominant team they became. Shero inherited a pretty amazing base in Sid, Geno, Fluery, Gonchar, Orpik, etc, not to mention a 2nd overall pick to start with, as you may recall.

The lack of a cap is incidental as the Penguins had no financial advantage over other clubs. Those Pens were built from the trades and the draft, not free agency. I don't know if you followed the Pens in the 90s, but they were at a great financial disadvantage for much of CP's tenure which resulted in the loss of players like Ron Francis and salary dumping moves such as the Jagr trade. Even prior to bankruptcy in 98, they were unable to compete for free agents. Compared to his peers, CP was very successful, just as Shero has been very successful compared to his peers. Shero has had the advantage of competing for UFAs; as well as trading for one in his prime due to the cap.

But rather than analyze every facet of their respective tenures, I simplify my comparison by looking at the bottom line; I give the edge to CP the edge due to the 2nd cup win. Shero has an amazing opportunity to surpass that.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins