What if Shero....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What if Shero....

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:59 am

Sigh...this is a thread that could have been a post in the thousands of other threads on the same topic and would have been better off lost in the sea of those conversations...

Why trade the Norris-caliber d-man when all you have to do is not bring back Matt Niskanen to pay him...

The most obvious answer is usually the right one...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:03 pm

If Letang is traded mid-season, the return would have to be someone very similar to him, making such a deal unlikely. It could only be part of a large shake-up. And while the Pens have defensive prospects, it's impossible to say if and when they'll mature into everyday NHL players and what their ceiling is. This is a win-now team, not a develop a young core team.

Like has been suggested previously, he will probably reach a crossroads like Staal did. Sign a long-term deal or wait to be traded. There is an expectation in the organization that players should be prepared to sacrifice money to stay and win.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 pm

66-68-87-71 wrote:I don't think Shero will trade Letang in season but I think it was definitely a possibility he considered when the season started.

Why would he consider it? I just don't see it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan1989 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:24 pm

If Letang is moved, it would be in the offseason, and likely be similar to the Staal situation/return.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:33 am

mikey287 wrote:Sigh...this is a thread that could have been a post in the thousands of other threads on the same topic and would have been better off lost in the sea of those conversations...

Why trade the Norris-caliber d-man when all you have to do is not bring back Matt Niskanen to pay him...

The most obvious answer is usually the right one...

This...I am sure the Pens have a long term plan in place with their capologists etc. You always find a way to keep the better player and subtract where necessary (Niskanen, Martin etc.) Geno's contract will clarify the Letang situation imo.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins