Tanger

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Tanger

Postby headh on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:36 pm

I think this particular team misses Paul Martin more than they miss Letang.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 pm

headh wrote:I think this particular team misses Paul Martin more than they miss Letang.

It's hard to make an argument that missing a player who was probably the leading Norris candidate in the league, but I see where you're coming from. If we weren't missing Sid and now Neal, I'd probably agree with you. While Martin adds solid positional play, he also makes the penguins transition game much stronger, but not as strong as Letang. Right now the Pens are having issues scoring and Letang increases that more than Martin does.

That being said, despite a two-game skid, the Penguins are still on a winning track and I'd rather let Letang rest up a little more. Not only does he have broken toes, he has also been dealing with a groin issue, so more time the better. Those groin issues can linger.

The Penguins have built themselves a very nice cushion. They've clinched and likely wouldn't fall that far down, so I say let the players we really need healthy in the playoffs to rest up as much as they can.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:28 pm

They are missing either one of them. The last few games have been proof they cannot afford to lose both.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwest21 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Gaucho wrote:They are missing either one of them. The last few games have been proof they cannot afford to lose both.

Definitely- and I thing they miss both. This team is taking a lot of top-talent hits lately and the lack of offense shows
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 2h Letang: There’s no rush to get back, but ...I want to start playing and make sure when I get into the playoffs I’m ready to go

:D for a period or a couple shifts; I'd like to see letang paired with D Murray! just for fun.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:30 pm

penny lane wrote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 2h Letang: There’s no rush to get back, but ...I want to start playing and make sure when I get into the playoffs I’m ready to go

:D for a period or a couple shifts; I'd like to see letang paired with D Murray! just for fun.

Murray did very well paired with Boyle in San Jose. They complimented each other. I'd expect the same with Letang.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 am

I think Letang is a uniquely talented guy. Having said that Martin brings a level of stability defensively and on the PP that this team is lacking without him. The team appears to be noticeably "rattled" for a lack of a better word.

Totally agree about resting Letang until the groin is as close to 100% as possible
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 am

headh wrote:I think Letang is a uniquely talented guy. Having said that Martin brings a level of stability defensively and on the PP that this team is lacking without him. The team appears to be noticeably "rattled" for a lack of a better word.
Yeah, he has that cool calm presance on the PP that Gonchar did. Not quite the shot ability, but the 'I'm in control' feeling you get when he's out there.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:30 am

bh wrote:
headh wrote:I think Letang is a uniquely talented guy. Having said that Martin brings a level of stability defensively and on the PP that this team is lacking without him. The team appears to be noticeably "rattled" for a lack of a better word.
Yeah, he has that cool calm presance on the PP that Gonchar did. Not quite the shot ability, but the 'I'm in control' feeling you get when he's out there.

Certainly can't say the same when Tanger is on the PP. He has that :scared: quality...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 am

The Snapshot wrote:
penny lane wrote:

Murray did very well paired with Boyle in San Jose. They complimented each other. I'd expect the same with Letang.

Letang-Murray
Orpik-Martin
Nisky-Eaton

Could work really well. Will be interesting to see who the odd-man-out is next season. I really want to keep Murray, Eaton has been WAY better than expected, and Despres should have a regular spot...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 am

I'm happy with Murray being retained or even played every day, but he should never be seeing top pairing even strength minutes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 am

If we plan on further employing Bortuzzo and also possibly working Dumoulin into the lineup, I don't see us re-signing Murray.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:12 am

Then again, if we arrive at the deadline next season knowing that, again, we could use a guy like Murray....
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 am

Gaucho wrote:Then again, if we arrive at the deadline next season knowing that, again, we could use a guy like Murray....

Might want to consider keeping Murray over Niskanen.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFaninRegina on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:50 am

Letang to sit vs Carolina (as per HCDB)
PensFaninRegina
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
bh wrote:

Certainly can't say the same when Tanger is on the PP. He has that :scared: quality...

This is funny...because it's true.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins