Game 31 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 31 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Henry Hank wrote:They looked like this last year, pre-Crosby. My only concern is that the structure and discipline blows up again when Malkin returns.

Apparently that's a good thing. That means they can be awful which should leave them with plenty of time to peak again in time for the playoffs. :pop:
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Peaking is important. You never want that to be too soon.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:22 pm

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Two thoughts:

- A 3-0 roadtrip home and it included finding a spotless used car for my mom. :thumb:
- The Pens are playing great, winning games a number of ways while missing two pretty important guys. Enjoy it and stop with the over-analysis. This team is not last year's team. I swear people think you can only appear like you know what you're talking about if you are nitpicking and complaining. They are playing great and they have always been a contender since the 1st game. If they weren't a contender all along none of this would have been possible. Players are playing to their potential and chemistry is just about perfect. :fist:
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:48 pm

The idea that a team can control when it peaks is almost as silly as how people were sure the Pens would "flip the switch" during the 2009-10 season and start playing well in the postseason when they spent the 2nd half of the season proving they weren't good enough.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Rocco wrote:The idea that a team can control when it peaks is almost as silly as how people were sure the Pens would "flip the switch" during the 2009-10 season and start playing well in the postseason when they spent the 2nd half of the season proving they weren't good enough.

You would think that would be obvious. But apparently not.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sniper on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:24 pm

-Good to see them win 10 in a row.
-I thought this was the worst game they played since the Toronto game. Seemed to give up more chances via odd man rushes and took dumb penalties. Although I also thought they looked tired, which is completely understandable given the amount of games they've played.
-How have they played more games then every other team?
-PK is improving!
-Neal can play better than he has. When Geno gets back that line has to be able to cycle. They could last year....haven't often this year.
-Ice was crap.
-Ovechkin doesn't look anything like the guy from 3 or 4 years ago. He just looks a step slower. Seeing the camera on him on the bench, he looked like the desire was just gone. Like he's not having fun anymore. I understand they aren't winning and that takes it's effect, but I don't know something is definitely different with him. He just looks old.
-You can tell how much better Despres is than Engelland when they play together. Offensively, the difference is massive. He's better defensively too though. He uses his size and stick handling extremely well and is able to block the offensive player from reaching the puck using his body and then skate it out with his skating ability and stick handling. Engelland just doesn't have that skill set.
-I hope Beau didn't hurt his wrist. He seemed to be holding it after he crashed into the net and then again later on the bench. Played great though. I think he has 8 points in 12 games. Quiet points, but very productive especially for a rookie. He has to take the shortest shifts of anyone on the team. As soon as he is the slightest bit tired and near the bench he gets off. I think that helps keep him from being on the ice for goals against.
-Pens have been very smart with the puck since the 1st period of the Flyers game. They had a few dumb plays in this game, but no where near as many as earlier in the season. This is exactly the way they have to play in the postseason. It's amazing how much better the goalies look when they don't face great scoring chances every few minutes.
-Fleury played great when they did have break downs. In the last three games the only goals given up were the result of lucky bounces right to open guys. Can't complain about that. Easily could have had 3 straight shutouts.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:51 pm

columbia wrote:Peaking is important. You never want that to be too soon.

It's ok to peak early, if you're able to recover quickly and peak again.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bafcats on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 pm

Yeah, but you've got to find a way to keep them satisfied in the meantime.
bafcats

Postby Rocco on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:06 am

bafcats wrote:Yeah, but you've got to find a way to keep them satisfied in the meantime.

Don't worry about them. Get a ham sandwich and put on Sportscenter.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:15 am

relantel wrote:
Pitts wrote:
meow wrote:Ebb and flow, people. Ebb and flow

Really???

I prefer flow and ebb, flow and ebb.

smile & wave, boys, smile & wave :pop:

Odd, I heard that song (Smile & Wave) twice this morning on my commute to work (2 different stations). An older song that I doubt ever left the Canadian borders (some would say for good reason), but they were one hell of a live band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VclaeaajDiU
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slipshod on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:24 am

sniper - I didn't see the thing with Bennet's wrist. He did say it wasn't 100% right yet earlier in the year and he wasn't sure when it would be. I wonder if that is part of why he is looking to pass first. Just think. He's playing this well with an injured wrist.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:35 am

slipshod wrote:sniper - I didn't see the thing with Bennet's wrist. He did say it wasn't 100% right yet earlier in the year and he wasn't sure when it would be. I wonder if that is part of why he is looking to pass first. Just think. He's playing this well with an injured wrist.

He seems to be shooting a lot more already. Yeah not like TK type shooting mentality but if there's a shot he's been taking it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins