Official Game Day Thread Pens @ Isles, 3/22/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Game Day Thread Pens @ Isles, 3/22/2013

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:23 pm

The Snapshot wrote:I'm also saying that we will take Philly's heart on Sunday and send them spiraling into oblivion.

That goose is just about already roasted:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?se ... 3&type=DIV
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Gaucho on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:26 pm

columbia wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:I'm also saying that we will take Philly's heart on Sunday and send them spiraling into oblivion.

Better yet:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20122013&type=CON
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 pm

The Flyers have been so idle this week, that Superstar has already picked up another case of the clap and had it cured.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 pm

columbia wrote:

Yeah but still just 5 points out of 8th. Any team down there that can get on a 5 game winning streak can jump right in, because none of them are any good all the way up to the Devils.

The Flyers have had a long break and the genius of the timeout is their coach. If he can work miracles in 1 minute just think what he can do with 5 days off since their last game. :roll:

They no doubt have built their entire season into the game on Sunday, needing to prove that the break and practice on the details is going to springboard them into a run.

When we gut them and hang them over the boards to dry I will be smiling.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 pm

I don't care if they win or lose against Philly. Just don't play a stupid game like they have almost every time their last dozen meetings or so. The Pens are playing fantastic hockey. I hope they don't lose their heads against them. Biggest reason why a win would be great is that it would further push Philly away from a playoff spot. I don't want the Pens playing them again this season after Sunday.

Crappy first period but they settled down after. This was another game where the Pens show their depth. The much maligned fourth line chips in again. Sutter continues to provide secondary scoring - on a 23 goal pace for a full season. The first line continues to lead the way. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, the Pens are showing over and over and over again that it'd be foolish to pay premium prices to add even more offense.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Shakes wrote:

The Snapshot wrote:When we gut them and hang them over the boards to dry I will be smiling.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Important to note that the 1st period and the PKs througout all demonstrate the value of conistent, quality goaltending even when you are giving effort. Even crappy NHL teams generate chances, especially when a team starts sluggish.

This looked like the Flyers game when we came back from 1-4, except that Vokoun made the saves from the start and no huge comeback was needed.

No leaky goals, no soft rebounds in the 1st and when Vokoun/Fleury were going bad that Visnovsky shot goes in instead of off the crossbar and ties the game.

Kudos to Vokoun and Fleury for being the foundation every night in this.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens#1 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:16 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Sutter has as many goals as Claude Giroux, the best player in the league.

Shhhhh..I want the Flyers to pay GIROUX as if he is the best player in the world
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Simon Despres ✔ @Despres747

Started from the bottom now we here #drizzzy @BeauBennett78 ....
11:15 PM - 22 Mar 13

:pop:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cma3585 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Shakes wrote:

Even hockey players are allowed terrible tastes in music.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:11 am

cma3585 wrote:
Shakes wrote:

Even hockey players are allowed terrible tastes in music.

Most hockey players are Nickelback fans.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:24 am

Isles, like Caps, played a great game and couldn't defeat a depleted Pens team.

Boding well. Boding.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:37 am

Flyers have ended the Pens past 2 long winning streakes..... they've been off since Monday which is insane. They are super desperate. Should be a very very hard game on Sunday.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:04 am

farnham16 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Paul Martin deserves to be talked about for the Norris. He has been that good.

Come on.... He is not close to Norris worthy

Why not? He has been exceptional in every facet of the game this season. He's even scoring goals.

He won't win it because he doesn't have the big name or the flash, but I would put Martin's game up against any other in the league right now.

:thumb: _Really great season by Martin so far..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:34 am

Shakes wrote:

Spoiler:

I am here to announce that The Pittsburgh Penguins' Simon Depres and Beau Bennett have officially arri.....

Spoiler:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:31 pm

knives of ice wrote:Flyers have ended the Pens past 2 long winning streakes..... they've been off since Monday which is insane. They are super desperate. Should be a very very hard game on Sunday.

The Flyers should be well rested, that’s for sure, but I’m not certain that having several days off is always an advantage. From what I’ve seen, it sometimes leads to a very sluggish start which can give the opposition an advantage, at least in the early-going. I’m hoping that’s the case here, and that by the time the Flyers get to their game it will be too late. Of course, our guys will have to hit the ice firing on all cylinders. A repeat of yesterday’s first-period performance will cancel out any advantage they might have.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:00 pm

TrueNorth wrote:
knives of ice wrote:Flyers have ended the Pens past 2 long winning streakes..... they've been off since Monday which is insane. They are super desperate. Should be a very very hard game on Sunday.

The Flyers should be well rested, that’s for sure, but I’m not certain that having several days off is always an advantage. From what I’ve seen, it sometimes leads to a very sluggish start which can give the opposition an advantage, at least in the early-going. I’m hoping that’s the case here, and that by the time the Flyers get to their game it will be too late. Of course, our guys will have to hit the ice firing on all cylinders. A repeat of yesterday’s first-period performance will cancel out any advantage they might have.

Pens are the best opening team in the NHL by a long shot. I like their odds of coming out strong vs the opposite. I saw the numbers a few weeks ago, but the Pens have the most goals in the first 5 minutes of any team, and the 2nd place team isn't even close. That may have changed, but I doubt it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Same with 3rd period goals, bhaw, IIRC.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:11 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Shakes wrote:

Spoiler:

I am here to announce that The Pittsburgh Penguins' Simon Depres and Beau Bennett have officially arri.....

Spoiler:

:fist: :lol: :thumb:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Hmm, Pens getting off to a fast start against a sluggish Flyers team. Haven't seen that one before....

I'd really like to just see a normal hockey game tomorrow. Win or lose. I'm so tired of what these Pens/Flyers games turn into.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Ditto. Just want to see 60 solid minutes of outplaying those clowns.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Hmm, Pens getting off to a fast start against a sluggish Flyers team. Haven't seen that one before....

I'd really like to just see a normal hockey game tomorrow. Win or lose. I'm so tired of what these Pens/Flyers games turn into.

Yes, I also would welcome a well-played hockey game tomorrow minus the nonsense that usually erupts when these two teams meet; however, I want the win to go to the Penguins. If it were any team other than the Flyers I would be okay with a loss--after all, I don’t expect them to win every remaining game--but the thought of their current winning streak coming to an end at the hands of the Flyers is more than I can stomach. Giving the Flyers something to crow about--and crow they will--never sits well with me.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins