Jeffery is terrible

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jeffery is terrible

Postby Godric on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:55 pm

we need center prospects. :pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Jeffery is terrible

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Bored much, Gordic?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Gaucho wrote:Bored much, Gordic?

You have no idea
but
I get my cast off Friday woooooo (broken wrist/left scaphoid)
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Gaucho on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:11 pm

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Godric wrote:we need center prospects. :pop:

Yes indeed, to replace our terrible / aging group of centers. :slug:
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:33 pm

This is true.

Dustin Jeffrey.
Tyler Kennedy.

Keep 1, Release 1.

Go

DJ - Keep
TK - Release
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Nizzy wrote:This is true.

Dustin Jeffrey.
Tyler Kennedy.

Keep 1, Release 1.

Go

DJ - Keep
TK - Release

Kennedy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jeffery.

Kennedy can atleast poesses the puck for more than .5ths of a second
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Jeffrey has actually played pretty well at both ends of the ice. He's been strong defensively, and he has made some great passes in the offensive zone. He certainly isn't a game breaker, but he has been far from terrible.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:47 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Jeffrey has actually played pretty well at both ends of the ice. He's been strong defensively, and he has made some great passes in the offensive zone. He certainly isn't a game breaker, but he has been far from terrible.

Hyperbole is required to gather thread discussion.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Rylan wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:Jeffrey has actually played pretty well at both ends of the ice. He's been strong defensively, and he has made some great passes in the offensive zone. He certainly isn't a game breaker, but he has been far from terrible.

Hyperbole is required to gather thread discussion.

I prefer Haikus
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Godric wrote:we need center prospects. :pop:

Teddy Blueger to the rescue!!!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ivand87 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Jeffrey showed some real potential a couple years ago but right now he's not looking good. It's discouraging. I was expecting a little more from him this season...
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:15 pm

I think it's sad that we have literally 0 prospects in the AHL that can supplant Glass and Adams. Shero better step up or we better pray our forward corps stays healthy for the next few years.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:59 pm

The Pens have 16 players signed for next year, with about $10.5M left to spend.
Mr. Jeffrey will likely be back next year (at the minimum possible raise).

So....get used to seeing him in a Pens jersey.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Fire Jeffrey
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Meh, woulldn't say he's terrible. A 3rd, 4th line tweener. Pretty much all he's gonna be from this point on. The knee injury really screwed his chances.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:44 pm

He reminds me of Matt Cullen, a smart player who can play all over the ice, jack-of-all-trades, master of none type 3rd line center. He's still playing like he's in DB's doghouse, that is to say, a little tentative, afraid to make mistakes. But he's got the tools and he's proven he can score some big goals.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:23 pm

He hasn't been strong anywhere. He's been passive and tentative. I've seen a handful of good plays, but none the he created. Zero.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby sniper on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Pitt87 wrote:

He hasn't been strong anywhere. He's been passive and tentative. I've seen a handful of good plays, but none the he created. Zero.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2012020406

This wasn't a good play created by Jeffrey? Seemed like a pretty nice pass to me.

He's not playing amazing or anything. He's missed some chances to score, but he's hardly been a detriment to the team. He's filling in for the reigning MVP and the team has won 11 games in a row. People are just searching for things to complain about.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:41 pm

sniper wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

This wasn't a good play created by Jeffrey? Seemed like a pretty nice pass to me.

He's not playing amazing or anything. He's missed some chances to score, but he's hardly been a detriment to the team. He's filling in for the reigning MVP and the team has won 11 games in a row. People are just searching for things to complain about.

Is this serious? He tipped the puck to space.... Bennett makes a pretty spectacular shot to score. Who created the goal?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby westside on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Jeffrey created that goal along with whom ever passed the puck to him. Sure it looks simple when it works but how many times do you see that play breakdown right then when the forward can't advance it through that group? Jeffery is nothing special but to say he adds nothing is a stretch. That play may only be one example of him being effective but an example none the less.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:43 am

I don't think Jeffrey is a good player to dump on. He's a late round pick earning 625k giving the Pens a decent 11 minutes a game. His line doesn't seem to be scored on much. I think he's earning his pay. I'm not sure what people expect from him. Personally, I think he shows promise.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:04 am

Pitt87 wrote:
sniper wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Is this serious? He tipped the puck to space.... Bennett makes a pretty spectacular shot to score. Who created the goal?

Not that goal the second one he set up in that game, the Dupuis goal. It was a 2 on 1 and he made the play and got the pass to Dupuis. I'd say that's a play he created. Even the Bennett pass he got the puck to him to have that chance to shoot. He noticed he was open. Did you happen to see Glass have no clue he was involved in a 3 on 2 rush last game? Maybe it's a little more difficult to find that open man than you are giving him credit for. He isn't playing amazing or anything, but he's not a defensive liability either. I'm not sure what you expect from the guy. He's a fill in who doesn't hurt you when he's on the ice. If he were anything more than that he'd cost a few million dollars.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:32 am

Desiato wrote:I don't think Jeffrey is a good player to dump on. He's a late round pick earning 625k giving the Pens a decent 11 minutes a game. His line doesn't seem to be scored on much. I think he's earning his pay. I'm not sure what people expect from him. Personally, I think he shows promise.

WHen people are complaining about guys like Jeffrey who takes up all of 625K in cap space and are supposed to go out there and play basic hockey without being a liability on the ice, it's a good indicator that the team is winning a lot of games right now.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Pitt87 wrote:

Are you expecting him to deke a few guys and score a goal? He isn't going to make plays by himself, and he needs his linemates to make a good play- just like most players in the nhl. Just because he's playing on the second line doesn't make him a second-line center especially when he's trying to fill in for last years MVP. This team doesn't have a second line center that can fill in for geno like staal did for crosby last year. There is going to be a severe drop in production from that line when you lose him no matter who replaces him.

Jeffrey plays very well in the defensive zone and has been extremely effective at supporting the defense in the corners and containing their man and getting lose pucks. He's not the strongest player on the boards nor is he the fastest player, but he plays smart and is in the right position. Because of his lack of speed he isn't very good playing on the offensive rush, but he plays well when the offense actually gets control in the opponent's zone due to his positioning and vision to an extent- he's given the defense several plays on the far side of the ice. I think you're expecting too much from him because he's filling in for Malkin, but he is a young third line player and he's playing like one.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins