Game 31 - Thoughts from the Afternoon After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 31 - Thoughts from the Afternoon After

Postby Penspal on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Pens win 4-2

- Vokoun was really good and needed to me especially in the first 1/2 of the game.
- Joey V. scores another, this one also a beauty. Sorta makes me wonder if he's "improved" his game :wink:
- Mr. Clutch aka Brandon Sutter gets another 3rd period goal
- Kunitz took a wicked butt end (Okposo) & really held his composure by not taking a retaliatory penalty (Root showed they had a faceoff chat)
- The team flatness has me wondering why? My funnest theory is the 3 day layoff of Pens vs. Isles playing previous day (don't want to call it rust... call it routinus interuptus)
- What was Adams thinking taking on heavyweight in Martin? Harvard grads even have brain farts.
- Bennett belongs on this team. He continually shows smarts with area passes, quick shifts, taking body. Looking to pass to Neal a little too much, but can't blame him for that.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 31 - Thoughts from the Afternoon After

Postby Beveridge on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:40 pm

-I really like how sutter and cooke play together. Makes me feel better about our 3rd line if Kennedy can find is way back.
-Orpik: dumb play to try to soccer the puck but one hell of a hockey smarts move to take the penalty to avoid the 3 on 1 and give a team a chance to kill it off
-Despres had rookie moments again, but has the speed to correct his mistakes. He is going to be Letang with more defensive upside I think
-Bennett is going to fill in nicely for the 2nd or 3rd line for the playoffs, he plays pens/bylsma hockey for sure (responsible to play defense)
-12 is better than 11
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sniper on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:06 pm

-Vokoun kept them in it at the beginning of the game.
-Paul Martin has been an absolute stud this year. I have no idea what he changed from last year, but he keeps coming out of the corners with the puck against much bigger players. His stick on puck has been crazy good.
-The last two games the team defense has been getting worse. Been giving up more shots against and more importantly odd man rushes against. Can't expect perfection every game, but hopefully they don't start trending back to their old tendencies.
-Despres seemed to get promoted to the second pairing as Engelland and Eaton seemed to be the third pairing by the third period. He's playing well.
-Penalty Kill is definitely at its best when it's aggressive. They're going to need it to be good in the playoffs.
-Big game tomorrow against the Flyers. More so for the Flyers who have been off almost a full week and they can't afford to lose many more games. If the Pens can beat them, it could very well be the end of their playoff hopes. The end of the game could get interesting if the Pens are ahead by a few goals.
-I was surprised Geno didn't play this game. I expect him back tomorrow. I don't think we'll see Letang, but that's just a gut feeling.
-Cooke setting up the last two game winners! Nice!
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:26 pm

I actually thought it was Bennett's worst game. He made some sick passes in the neutral zone and area dumps. The kid has some great hockey sense/IQ, but I thought he looked weaker on the puck and worst skating too date.

No doubt the kid has talent.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Penspal wrote:Pens win 4-2

- Vokoun was really good and needed to me especially in the first 1/2 of the game.
- Joey V. scores another, this one also a beauty. Sorta makes me wonder if he's "improved" his game :wink:
- Mr. Clutch aka Brandon Sutter gets another 3rd period goal
- Kunitz took a wicked butt end (Okposo) & really held his composure by not taking a retaliatory penalty (Root showed they had a faceoff chat)
- The team flatness has me wondering why? My funnest theory is the 3 day layoff of Pens vs. Isles playing previous day (don't want to call it rust... call it routinus interuptus)
- What was Adams thinking taking on heavyweight in Martin? Harvard grads even have brain farts.
- Bennett belongs on this team. He continually shows smarts with area passes, quick shifts, taking body. Looking to pass to Neal a little too much, but can't blame him for that.

- Mr. Clutch aka Brandon Sutter gets another 3rd period goal aka Brent Sutter!
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Beveridge wrote:-I really like how sutter and cooke play together. Makes me feel better about our 3rd line if Kennedy can find is way back.
-Orpik: dumb play to try to soccer the puck but one hell of a hockey smarts move to take the penalty to avoid the 3 on 1 and give a team a chance to kill it off
-Despres had rookie moments again, but has the speed to correct his mistakes. He is going to be Letang with more defensive upside I think
-Bennett is going to fill in nicely for the 2nd or 3rd line for the playoffs, he plays pens/bylsma hockey for sure (responsible to play defense)
-12 is better than 11

Just imagine the third line if Shero nabs Iginla!
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dbizzle66 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Paul Martin - I don't get how a guy can do a complete 180 -- but I love it .

Vokoun is back to the old feisty Vokoun
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rkarete on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:33 pm

For once I was actually at the game (its hard to time living in London!) so here are a few observations (aside from Nassau being the last old school rink in the NHL, with advertisers/atmosphere that feels more like low-rent AHL!)

- Voukoun is one of the goalies that would be troubled by smaller equipment...we sat right behind him about ten rows up and easily 80% of his saves were just about veteran positioning and being/looking so freakin huge in net. He overcomitted several times and was lucky not to give up wraparounds...but a lot of the otehr saves, the puck just hit him since he was so well positioned...

- I need to see a cardiologist watching the Pens in front of their own net. Headless chickens would have better positional play. There were a few good examples of Orpik or Martin stepping in and shutting off a chance, but mostly the Pens collectively spun around and reacted to bouncing pucks. I cannot understand all the talk of needing another top 6 forward when we lead the league in goals, but please get us a crease clearing D-man. We don't have one.

- Engelland scares me in a bad way, to the extent it looked like he was being targeted carrying the puck, while Despres scares me in a good way, except for his obligatory falling down once or twice a game. I dont know why the Pens D so often chooses to reverse the puck behind the net to each other rather thn play it out... we had at least a dozen botched clearing attempts that a better team would make more of.

- I know how much is written about Sid's "compete level" but sitting close by you really see the difference, and also the fear opponents have of him, Neal also got a bit more engaged, maybe he realises he needs to get more involved without Geno to set up him up. He looked to be working very hard on the ice. I also dont know why some posters are so down on our 4th line, they did a decent job and hda a few cycles... but the energy and the effort were just not there in the 1st and through most of the 2nd.

- for whatever reason, it was great to see a game with so few penalties where you really felt it had some flow. I dont know how many non-calls there were - the Pens got away with a few and i didnt see the Okposo butt-end on Kunitz - but its much more entertaining hockey when you dont have constant ticky-tacky calls and the refs trying to control the "flow"

does anyone else think its pretty much a foregone conclusion that we win the Atlantic? now 14 pts up on NJD and 16 on NYR... even with NJD having a game in hand on the Pens, can they win 6 more games than us out of the nexxt 16?
rkarete

Postby dbizzle66 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:30 am

If we don't win the atlantic, I'd be surprised .... imagaine what this team can do with Malkin back ...
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:46 am

dbizzle66 wrote:imagaine what this team can do with Malkin back ...

I'm just worried that we were saying the same thing last year right before Sid came back.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:15 am

-Pens played worse D but did not get suckered into a run n gun/meltdown (was a concern after being outshot heavily in 1st)
-I'm worried the Pens/HCDB only seem to play this level of team D when one or more of the core are injured.
-4th line has improved drastically over the streak. Vitale snipe was a beauty, I'm convinced he's the ultimate 4th line c for this team and wish Glass and Adams had the foot speed/hands to make the line a threat and more effective clearing the zone. #getvitaleawing
-Martin is freakin awesome.
-Despres is possibly my favourite Pen to watch, the way he spins that big frame away from hits and the swagger - gonna be something special.
-Bennet is extremely aware defensively, great that he could fit on any of the top three lines depending on what happens at the deadline.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:53 am

rkarete wrote:- I know how much is written about Sid's "compete level" but sitting close by you really see the difference, and also the fear opponents have of him, Neal also got a bit more engaged, maybe he realises he needs to get more involved without Geno to set up him up. He looked to be working very hard on the ice. I also dont know why some posters are so down on our 4th line, they did a decent job and hda a few cycles... but the energy and the effort were just not there in the 1st and through most of the 2nd.

Teams gameplan to "shut down Crosby", but really they're just trying to minimize the damage. It's very rare that he's shut down completely. That is where the fear stems from - they know that he could burn that at any given moment.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:39 am

71 and 58 still out tonight. :(
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Gaucho wrote:71 and 58 still out tonight. :(

Seriously? I didn't expect Letang, but I thought Malkin was a lock.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Vokoun earned these points for the penguins in the 1st.
Matt Cooke with a pass worthy of highlight reel!

Truly, a win tonight could bury the flyers. Dear Pens keep your brains cells compose, play color blind to
the orange.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:09 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Gaucho wrote:71 and 58 still out tonight. :(

Seriously? I didn't expect Letang, but I thought Malkin was a lock.

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 33m
Bylsma: Malkin, Letang will not play. Kennedy will. Fleury starts.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 50s If you're keeping score, that's Malkin and Letang out for #Penguins and Briere out for Flyers.

And D Briere out for the fly boys.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:15 pm

penny lane wrote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 50s If you're keeping score, that's Malkin and Letang out for #Penguins and Briere out for Flyers.

And D Briere out for the fly boys.

Elf boy isn't a big loss for them, except against us. That should help. We need to get to Bryz. He has been crumbling lately.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Malkin should come back when he is 100% (or near as you can get) and same for Letang. No point in pushing it. We aren't fighting for our playoff lives.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Beveridge wrote:Malkin should come back when he is 100% (or near as you can get) and same for Letang. No point in pushing it. We aren't fighting for our playoff lives.

Agreed, and I am sure that is what they are doing with them - that and the fact that we are on an 11 game winning streak. We can take a loss, I just want the Flyers to be buried.

From a strategic standpoint, the two teams I do not want to see in the 1st round would be either Philly or Washington, because for them to get in would mean they would have gotten hot down the stretch from where they are now. I was hopeful for at least Malkin to come back and help bury them.

On the bright side, Malkin is one of the more undisciplined guys against the Flyers.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Other than Neal, Malkin and Letang are first to lose their cool against the Flyers.

Good idea to take the slower route with these injuries.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcmforless on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Hopefully no one dresses like bears again (it was hilarious though), seems like it has been a bad omen for the Pens at home vs the Flyers.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:53 pm

pcmforless wrote:Hopefully no one dresses like bears again (it was hilarious though), seems like it has been a bad omen for the Pens at home vs the Flyers.

Those people at the last home game dressed as bears were turds. They were painfully unentertaining. The camera kept putting them on and they kept just standing tere doing nothing. If you're gonna wear a stupid outfit you better bring some A game.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 7m Danny Briere told me he crashed into the boards in SAT prax. "Not doing good," he said
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 pm

I read that as Briere practicing for the SAT.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins