Penguins Acquire LW Brenden Morrow

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby Pitts on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:
skullman80 wrote:This is why we stock piled men to make moves like this.


That's a pretty crappy strategy.

shmenguin, you seem to crap all over every rumor or eventual deal. What would you rather the Pens do? Just do nothing and hope we win? They have all that defense for the reason of having assets to work with -- whether that be developing and playing them, or trading them.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,032
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby pcm on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Have to think one of Glass, Kennedy, or Jeffrey gets moved soon. Preferably not Jeffrey, as he's the most versatile/affordable.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Wouldn't it just be nuts if Jagr was also part of this deal? :scared:
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,473
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby meow on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:28 pm

If you don't like this trade, you need your rad examined. Unless you are Joe Morrow's mom. You can not like it then
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,943
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: I hate cats, Jacques! I hate 'em!

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby joopen on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

meow wrote:If you don't like this trade, you need your rad examined. Unless you are Joe Morrow's mom. You can not like it then

My rad is just fine :slug:
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,675
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby shmenguin on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
skullman80 wrote:This is why we stock piled men to make moves like this.


That's a pretty crappy strategy.

shmenguin, you seem to crap all over every rumor or eventual deal. What would you rather the Pens do? Just do nothing and hope we win? They have all that defense for the reason of having assets to work with -- whether that be developing and playing them, or trading them.


I've crapped on rumors that have been baseless junk, like iginla or bobby ryan.

Like I said above, what we effectively just did was turn a first round draft pick into a 3rd line rental. There's a lot of romance surrounding morrow and his guts, but on the surface, this deal smells.

But of course, shero knows a ton more about both morrows than I, so I'll give it a chance I guess.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,136
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

I don't see TK going anywhere. Jeffrey will probably be the odd-man out, but i'd much rather it be Glass.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,054
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Great move by Shero defining his market and getting the deal done early. This places the onus on other teams in the East now to potentially bid against each other for targets.

In the end, the ripple effect in the lineup will be important. My guess is Tanner Glass just got benched, and when the team is healthy, he may be waived to the minors.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,212
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Robidas? plz?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,054
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby pcm on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Morrow is a few months older than Kunitz. He's had a longer career, but he's not exactly ancient. His role in Dallas was diminishing with a new crop of talent. No wonder his performance has gone down. People will be excited to see what he brings when the intensity is high.

No chance he plays on the 3rd line. Shero got him to play with Malkin-Neal. Bennett moves to his natural position on the 3rd line. Kennedy drops down (or out).
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby meow on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 pm

joopen wrote:
meow wrote:If you don't like this trade, you need your rad examined. Unless you are Joe Morrow's mom. You can not like it then

My rad is just fine :slug:

Ahh, stupid phone. Head. I meant head. Derp
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,943
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: I hate cats, Jacques! I hate 'em!

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Wouldn't it just be nuts if Jagr was also part of this deal? :scared:


Kunitz - Crosby - Jagr
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis
Cooke - Vitale - Adams

Cup?
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby joopen on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:31 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Great move by Shero defining his market and getting the deal done early. This places the onus on other teams in the East now to potentially bid against each other for targets.

In the end, the ripple effect in the lineup will be important. My guess is Tanner Glass just got benched, and when the team is healthy, he may be waived to the minors.

Nope. Vitale just got benched. He's the only one between the three 4th liners who has been scratched
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,675
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby Rylan on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:31 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Rylan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
skullman80 wrote:This is why we stock piled men to make moves like this.


That's a pretty crappy strategy.


We still have 8 high quality defensive prospects?


Sure, but conceptually, you don't draft players in the first round to trade for 3rd line UFAs approaching retirement. That's not the plan.

The team must be sour on morrow.


I don't think of it like that. You trade a surplus for a weakness, and the Pens were lacking a 3rd liner that could chip in offensively outside of Sutter. This trade has evened out the Penguins a bit more and makes them far more balanced than they were prior to the trade. I think that Dumoulin , Pouliot, Allthat Maata(s), and Harrington are going to be good. That combined with the team already, where would Morrow fit? (Just saying, Morrow wasn't the end all)
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,838
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:32 pm

I think there is more to this than just Morrow for Morrow - Comon Ray work your magic.
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,473
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby meow on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:33 pm

@Buccigross: Brenden Morrow in Pittsburgh also gives Pitt one of those "let's get a Cup for that guy" guys which, while small, can motivate in playoffs
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,943
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: I hate cats, Jacques! I hate 'em!

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:33 pm

my nephew reminded me B Morrow was drafted in 97, here in Pittsburgh.
I said, we finally got a good penguin from that draft. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,681
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: juju land

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby Godric on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:33 pm

this trade sucks
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Now hopefully everyone on the board recognizes the difference between a proven defenseman like Goligoski fetching a solid 30+ goal scorer and a prospect. No matter how good he will be Morrow's still a prospect.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,105
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby joopen on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:34 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I think there is more to this than just Morrow for Morrow - Comon Ray work your magic.

If it were just Morrow for Morrow I think we would have heard it. Must be something else going on. Don't we need to clear a roster spot as well?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,675
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: right behind you

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:35 pm

meow wrote:@Buccigross: Brenden Morrow in Pittsburgh also gives Pitt one of those "let's get a Cup for that guy" guys which, while small, can motivate in playoffs


Had to double check Bucci on this...I always thought Morrow was a rookie on that Cup team...he was not. He was a rookie on the team that lost the next year to New Jersey...would have lost a small bet on that one...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,501
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby Kraftster on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Assuming that it's straight up, I agree with shmenguin on this one. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they do the deal than not, but the plan is not to only get declining warrior types for former 1st round picks. You can't really get by doing that consistently. Just would prefer that Morrow was worth more. With Clowe and Iginla both also available, I would have thought that Morrow would have cost a lot less. What do we really know, maybe that is the price it took for Dallas to deal him now instead of waiting until the deadline. Just my thought, though. Still, prefer having Brenden for this year to having Joe for the future.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,299
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:35 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I think there is more to this than just Morrow for Morrow - Comon Ray work your magic.

The NHL website has it that we are giving more than Joe Morrow in this trade.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,427
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:35 pm

joopen wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Great move by Shero defining his market and getting the deal done early. This places the onus on other teams in the East now to potentially bid against each other for targets.

In the end, the ripple effect in the lineup will be important. My guess is Tanner Glass just got benched, and when the team is healthy, he may be waived to the minors.

Nope. Vitale just got benched. He's the only one between the three 4th liners who has been scratched


Honestly I would be livid if Vitale is scratched come playoff time. The guy is exactly what we need when we're talking about "hard to play against."
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,931
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Pathetic, Fake Fan by Simple Definition

Re: Pens and Stars agree to deal for Brenden Morrow

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:36 pm

pcm wrote:Morrow is a few months older than Kunitz. He's had a longer career, but he's not exactly ancient. His role in Dallas was diminishing with a new crop of talent. No wonder his performance has gone down. People will be excited to see what he brings when the intensity is high.

No chance he plays on the 3rd line. Shero got him to play with Malkin-Neal. Bennett moves to his natural position on the 3rd line. Kennedy drops down (or out).


He played 40% of the time on the top line. Again, the Stars have pretty good forards and forward depth. His role was fine with good players and he didnt play all that well. This deal hinges on his ability to rejuvenate himself for a legit cup shot which is real and likely possible result.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,964
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LostPenguin, The Current One and 9 guests

e-mail