Game 33 vs. Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 33 vs. Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby BurghThing on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 am

Glass finally got an assist!
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 am

Because the Flyers just had 2 penalties called on them. The game was on NBCSN so if a penalty or major were called, all of Flyers nation, along with most of the ignorant fans would say, "That's unfair! The Pens were given 3 PPs at the end of the game. This game is rigged!"
Something along those lines.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:01 am

Flyers fans were pretty butthurt about the Simmonds "slash" which was just plain stupid on Wayne's part.

The best part of this game is that the Pens didnt play the "lets get even with our jam" nonsense and played hockey, rendering the Flyers to be what they actually are--a bad hockey team.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TwoSheds on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 am

Best part of the game: I saw this on the third angle of TK's GW shot, Simmond's reaction, big downward swing of his twig to the ice breaking it...Priceless!
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 am

how horrible were the flyers at getting the puck out of their zone? it was basically like 60 minutes of watching the girl in mighty ducks 2 try to get the puck out of her feet, right before the cowboy had to lasso the oncoming checker.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:28 am

I didn't think the Flyers were bad at all in this game, and Bryz maybe should have had Sid's but was otherwise really good.

This game shows you how close NHL games are. The Pens have won 12 in a row. The Flyers have won 13 total. The teams didn't look that far apart last night. I realize Malkin and Tanger were out of course.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:If the streak would have ended last night, the heat on Jeffrey for passing up the shot on the doorstep would shut down this forum.

Yes, we can count on plenty of fans not realizing that he had absolutely no net to shoot at.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 am

TwoSheds wrote:Best part of the game: I saw this on the third angle of TK's GW shot, Simmond's reaction, big downward swing of his twig to the ice breaking it...Priceless!

The Flyers ALWAYS have someone breaking their stick after a loss to the Pens. I think they believe it shows they care.

Simmonds is now the Black Hick - in the tradition of Giroux the French Hick. Hartnell and Braydon Coburn have also gotten in on the tradition in past contests.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 am

TwoSheds wrote:Best part of the game: I saw this on the third angle of TK's GW shot, Simmond's reaction, big downward swing of his twig to the ice breaking it...Priceless!

@ 1:09
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 am

guiner wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:If the streak would have ended last night, the heat on Jeffrey for passing up the shot on the doorstep would shut down this forum.

Yes, we can count on plenty of fans not realizing that he had absolutely no net to shoot at.

There wasn't, but there was no pass available either. He hasn't been very good in scoring positions.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 am

guiner wrote:

Actually he had a nice piece of five hole for a second there, but I have no problem with him seeing a potential tap-in. He created so much last night, and I believe at some point he can score a big goal for this team. I feel the same about Kennedy.

In their roles on this team we should be focused on the good that they do, not when they fail at parts of the game that are clearly not their strengths. I see people on him for his lost speed after the knee. Guess what, he never had speed and he looks all the way back to me in his skating stride - which has always been slightly robotic and plodding. He gets there faster than many though.

I just think role players are difficult for some to appreciate until they do something epic like TK's snipe last night in OT. The fact is, there are quite a few players on playoff bound teams that have less to offer in the positive column than TK and Jeffrey.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 am

The Snapshot wrote:

The Flyers ALWAYS have someone breaking their stick after a loss to the Pens. I think they believe it shows they care.

Simmonds is now the Black Hick - in the tradition of Giroux the French Hick. Hartnell and Braydon Coburn have also gotten in on the tradition in past contests.

The "Flyer culture" breeds the kind of displays that Giroux, Simmonds, Hartnell, Coburn, Rinaldo, etc. exhibit. It's not working so well this year with them on the outside looking in.

Bryz did his part last night despite the change-up Sid threw his way when he didn't get all of that shot, but they have some real problems on that team and they start from the top on down. Their D frankly sucks. Their forward depth has plummeted lately and sucks.Their culture sucks. Their GM has made some high-profile moves that are now looking like suck. Did I forget how bad their fans are low quality humans and totally suck?
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 am

DJ doesn't have the mentality of a 4th liner, who would have just shot and maybe had one trickle through. With Bryz stopping everything up to that point, I can't blame him for trying the pass, even though it had very little chance. His first instinct is playmaking.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 am

Shakes wrote:I didn't think the Flyers were bad at all in this game, and Bryz maybe should have had Sid's but was otherwise really good.

This game shows you how close NHL games are. The Pens have won 12 in a row. The Flyers have won 13 total. The teams didn't look that far apart last night. I realize Malkin and Tanger were out of course.

I agree that the Flyers played better, but they were coming off of 5 days rest and the only one who looked sharper was Bryz. The rest of the team did maintain a better posture defensively, but they controlled very little of the play - pinning the 4th line a few times and Crosby's line a little.

Still after 5 days off they were outplayed in the 3rd and OT. That can't be good.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:49 am

since1970 wrote:...the hit on Dupuis is text book boarding, they could use as a what not to do. Dupuis numbers to the palyer..Coburn hits Dupuis in the numbers then uses his arms to propel Dupuis into the glass, it didn't cause any injury, but it was a clinic on how to board a player according to the rules. Coburn knew exactly what he was doing, if Dupuis wasn't as close to the boards as he was this might have turned out a lot worse. I think it's what saved him from serious injury.

I would like to see the league review this and hand out a suspension to Coburn. That was unreal - the ref watched it!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:51 am

brwi wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

The "Flyer culture" breeds the kind of displays that Giroux, Simmonds, Hartnell, Coburn, Rinaldo, etc. exhibit. It's not working so well this year with them on the outside looking in.

Bryz did his part last night despite the change-up Sid threw his way when he didn't get all of that shot, but they have some real problems on that team and they start from the top on down. Their D frankly sucks. Their forward depth has plummeted lately and sucks.Their culture sucks. Their GM has made some high-profile moves that are now looking like suck. Did I forget how bad their fans are low quality humans and totally suck?

I think their biggest mistake was in assuming that the Rookies from last year - Read, Coturier and Schenn - were going to be counted on as even better contributors. They have gotten great years from Simmonds and Voracek, or they would be in last place. Giroux and Hartnell have fallen apart in the face of greater two way pressure on them.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:
since1970 wrote:...the hit on Dupuis is text book boarding, they could use as a what not to do. Dupuis numbers to the palyer..Coburn hits Dupuis in the numbers then uses his arms to propel Dupuis into the glass, it didn't cause any injury, but it was a clinic on how to board a player according to the rules. Coburn knew exactly what he was doing, if Dupuis wasn't as close to the boards as he was this might have turned out a lot worse. I think it's what saved him from serious injury.

I would like to see the league review this and hand out a suspension to Coburn the referee. That was unreal - the ref watched it!

Do this and make it public. That was embarrassing.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 am

Shakes wrote:DJ doesn't have the mentality of a 4th liner, who would have just shot and maybe had one trickle through. With Bryz stopping everything up to that point, I can't blame him for trying the pass, even though it had very little chance. His first instinct is playmaking.

I agree. He has looked pretty good in his short time on Malkin's wing as well. I think a lot of people expect guys who MAY be capable of some secondary scoring to do it a lot more than that. Jeffrey is a valuable extra guy to have around. He is the kind of guy who very well can make a big play in the playoffs with limited icetime. He's also not going to hurt you defensively.

He's a middle 6 plug in. That is not bad.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 am

This was a very satisfying win. :fist:

Over this month, the Penguins have been quietly slaying their demons:
- Playing much tighter defense
- Controlling their emotions
- MAF is razor sharp
- Getting contributions from everyone (not relying on the "stars")
- Not playing down to the level of their weaker opponents
- Adjusting to situations in-game (coaching)

This is very encouraging. This team is really clicking. :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 am

joopen wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:

I would like to see the league review this and hand out a suspension to Coburn the referee. That was unreal - the ref watched it!

Do this and make it public. That was embarrassing.

You're right. I wonder if the Pens will send a video to the league.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:02 am

The Snapshot wrote:
Shakes wrote:DJ doesn't have the mentality of a 4th liner, who would have just shot and maybe had one trickle through. With Bryz stopping everything up to that point, I can't blame him for trying the pass, even though it had very little chance. His first instinct is playmaking.

I agree. He has looked pretty good in his short time on Malkin's wing as well. I think a lot of people expect guys who MAY be capable of some secondary scoring to do it a lot more than that. Jeffrey is a valuable extra guy to have around. He is the kind of guy who very well can make a big play in the playoffs with limited icetime. He's also not going to hurt you defensively.

He's a middle 6 plug in. That is not bad.

Yeah. You never know when an injury will hit one of the Top 9 during the playoffs. DJ can handle 12 to 15 minutes and not look out of place.

I know we'd like to see him finish more plays, but he is what he is. If he finished more chances, he'd have a bigger career by now.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am

Steve Dave wrote:Because the Flyers just had 2 penalties called on them. The game was on NBCSN so if a penalty or major were called, all of Flyers nation, along with most of the ignorant fans would say, "That's unfair! The Pens were given 3 PPs at the end of the game. This game is rigged!"
Something along those lines.

THE INEVITABLE 5 ON 3 FOR GARY'S BOYS LATE IN THE 3RD!!! IT HAPPENS EVERY ******* TIME!!!

:roll:
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am

The Snapshot wrote:I think their biggest mistake was in assuming that the Rookies from last year - Read, Coturier and Schenn - were going to be counted on as even better contributors. They have gotten great years from Simmonds and Voracek, or they would be in last place. Giroux and Hartnell have fallen apart in the face of greater two way pressure on them.

Agree. Their rookies that looked very competent last year hit a sophomore slump and the established stars haven't been at their best. Oh yeah, the team would look a lot better with Pronger on the blueline but that ain't happening either. On the plus side for them, Bryz was stellar early in the season and kept them from being bottom dwellers right at the start, but he's only capable of so much. Suck it, Philly.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 am

Oh, they still do the Mr. Kennedy thing after TK scores. How cute.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:37 am

brwi wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:I think their biggest mistake was in assuming that the Rookies from last year - Read, Coturier and Schenn - were going to be counted on as even better contributors. They have gotten great years from Simmonds and Voracek, or they would be in last place. Giroux and Hartnell have fallen apart in the face of greater two way pressure on them.

Agree. Their rookies that looked very competent last year hit a sophomore slump and the established stars haven't been at their best. Oh yeah, the team would look a lot better with Pronger on the blueline but that ain't happening either. On the plus side for them, Bryz was stellar early in the season and kept them from being bottom dwellers right at the start, but he's only capable of so much. Suck it, Philly.

Same thing happening in NY with Hagelin and Kreider. They had some early success, but you can't assume progression from that starting point - because one year (or one hot playoff for Kreider) is not enough of a foundation to judge.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins