Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 am

Pens win 1-0

- My thoughts this morning start with worry for Fleury. Vokoun is our backup, MAF is our #1 with a gun. Please let this injury be minor
- 13 wins.... 2nd most ever by a Pens team. Don't think its time to start comparing the '93 steak, but I'm sure media will start
- I can see confidence in the Pen's play, recognition that they can win close games and comeback. That is the gourmet recipe for success come playoff time
- Proud of Pens fans (and organization) for giving MT his due on his return to the burgh. Very classy.
- Dupuis amazes me. Defensively, when he gets the puck, he IMMEDIATELY moves his feet to get the puck out. A learned skill, but Dupuis gets A+ for consistency/execution
- Goaltending was both strong & lucky (insert luck quotations here)
- Morrow looked slow, but showed his strength along the wall. It will take 4-5 games for the comfort level to come (note: successful meshing with Malkin TBD)
- I thought Colby & Morrow were going to drop them the 2nd time they came together. Speaking of dropping them, TK is fighting to keep his job.
- Funny image stuck in my head this morning: TSN game feed showed a weird save by Price where it looked like he did a "jumping jack" to make the save, anyone notice that?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:53 am

On a random note, the Penguins are currently the only team in the NHL without an OTL. Most teams have at least 2.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 am

Penspal wrote:TK is fighting to keep his job.

Good, but he shouldn't need the extra motivation to play the way he has been.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 am

Great Team Win.

Crosby MVP of the season. The first line is flowing so well together its great to see.
Orpik I thought he played a very great game tonight. Seemed solid and was always in the right spots. Not sure what prompted the change in his game during the middle of the season. Maybe he was hurt for a big stretch of the season. He looks like such a decent player.
Letang Such a different team when hes back there. I still question his confidence on the PP, but it's not like hes making mistakes, it's kind of like he isn't being aggressive enough or something. Maybe that's a good thing right now though. There was a few times when the Pens were in the offensive zone and Letang was so deep I thought he was a 4th forward LOL GET BACK THERE TANGER.
Fleury Wow. Remember how many people wanted to run him out of town the last few years...this guy is a top 5, yes top 5 goal tender with a decent defense. This is the best defense since the 2009 Cup, and he's playing just as good. I hope he's not hurt or anything serious. I'm glad he got credit for the Win as well.
Morrow Saw a few things from his game that could fit really well for this team. I hope he can turn up the motor in the playoffs. I think he is too slow to play on the 3rd line however. I believe he should be with Geno & Neal for sure.
Jeffrey Did anyone else think he had a fairly good game last night? He's not amazing, still might be borderline NHLer, however I can't see how people think Kennedy is better than this guy. Definitely shouldn't be anywhere near the 2nd line. I think he has a decent 200 foot game for the bottom 6, however nothing really stands out.
Kennedy He's a bum. It's just so funny to me how some people don't see it at all. (Please save the stat Mikey haha)..This guy lives off a few key goals a season to string him along. I'd love to see Bennett on the 3rd line going forward and put TK on the 4th line.
Vitale I want this guy in the lineup so bad. I noticed our PK is ranked 21st, and I know Murray is brought in to help this. However how are we going to keep a guy (Adams) on the team, who is generally just for PK.
Cooke Liked how he went after Gionta, but not how he handled it. He started it the face off, didn't get the fight, starting playing hockey again, then at the end of the shift got a penalty? Just do or don't.
Sutter Has some good scoring chances tonight. Get Kennedy off his line and give him Bennett, someone that can at least make some passes.

Therrien Glad the fans gave him props during pre-game, it was really nice to see. I give him so much credit for basically 'kick-starting' the franchise again. He gets a ton of credit in my book, I really liked his no non-sense coaching style, especially with the defensive side of the game.
Gionta What a joke, haha. I don't mind him not fighting Cooke, but then don't act tough and talk while you're backing up. He knew what he was doing tripping Kennedy. OH well, like I said, he's a joke.
Armstrong Noticed him flopping around the ice a few times. Not blatant diving or anything, just Colby Armstrong being Colby Armstrong.
Subban He got checked on an average check, flipped his body/head downward, and put the blade of his skate a good 5 ft off the ice. This guy is going to slice someone again. No regard for where his skates are at on the ice. Very wreckless. It will not surprise me to hear that this guy cuts another 1-2 players in his career.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 am

shafnutz05 wrote:On a random note, the Penguins are currently the only team in the NHL without an OTL. Most teams have at least 2.

And, apart from CHI, they're pretty much blowing the rest of the NHL away in regulation wins.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 am

Morrow with Geno and Neal may force those two to slow things down a bit...which would be a good thing!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 am

I officially hate the habs right now
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 am

Fingers still crossed for Flower
Captain Sid; nice to have you back.
Brooks Orpik with a near perfect game; a rare nod with #2 star. Deserved. :D
The entire penguin defense(including you forwards) is a joy. I saw M Niskanen with sweet D to tangle up the stick to break up a shot.
With Brenden Morrow: he will play a game similar to Matt Cooke, but with none of the bias for calls.
He’ll be able to walk the line of border calls.
Beau B is not shy about throwing checks.
To quote phil bourque~ "are you kidding me!" with the pens goals given up during this streak. 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 am

sil wrote:Morrow with Geno and Neal may force those two to slow things down a bit...which would be a good thing!

If Malone worked well with Geno, I think Morrow can as well.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 am

littlemoonboot wrote:I officially hate the habs right now

I've hated them since the 10' playoffs :ooo

Hey crosby just helped lead us to an olympic medal, lets return the favor by chanting crosby sucks at every home game vs him!!! :face: montreal fans...
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 am

To make things more clear about my earlier statements:

I have no problem with Shero parting with assets to "win now".

The problem is that me along with most Stars fans believe the Penguins actually got worse by adding Morrow to the team, and not increasing the chances of winning the cup.

Dallas fans take on Morrows issues earlier this season:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1332207
Last edited by Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am

Lesky wrote:To make things more clear about my earlier statements:

The problem is I along with most Stars fans believe the Penguins actually got worse by adding Morrow to the team, and not increasing the chances of winning the cup.

Dallas fans take on Morrow:

Is there a thread like this about Niskanen there, too?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 am

Got worse ? for what season. Joe Morrow wouldn't impact this penguin team, nor the one set for the play-offs. we'll stay tune.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 am

Guinness wrote:
Lesky wrote:To make things more clear about my earlier statements:

The problem is I along with most Stars fans believe the Penguins actually got worse by adding Morrow to the team, and not increasing the chances of winning the cup.

Dallas fans take on Morrow:

Is there a thread like this about Niskanen there, too?

Does Niskanen skate in quick sand was declining physically like Morrow when we traded for him? in And was Niskanen banged up and coming back from major back/neck inurys? Morrow looks slow stepping off the bench and completely gassed after 10-20 seconds, exactly the same way Tangradi looked.
Last edited by Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 am

Paul Martin made a play last night, with about 3 or so minutes left in the game. The kind of play that never gets praised, but is critical to winning these close playoff-type games. It was just a simple read/react where he knocked down a pass along the boards, had no where to go with it, and sent it off the glass out into the neutral zone. Simple as simple can be, but it was the kind of play he was screwing up with regularity last season. He's exuding confidence right now.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 am

Lesky wrote:most Stars fans believe...

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 am

Lesky wrote:
Does Niskanen skate in quick sand was declining physically like Morrow when we traded for him? in And was Niskanen banged up and coming back from major back/neck inurys? Morrow looks slow stepping off the bench and completely gassed after 10-20 seconds, exactly the same way Tangradi looked.

The point is, "Dallas Fans" wanted Niskanen out of town, too. So I'm not sure why I should get all worried because they were done with Morrow.

ETA: And comparing Morrow to Tangradi is really not a good idea if you're trying to convince everyone that Morrow was a bad pick up.
Last edited by Guinness on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am

penny lane wrote:Got worse ? for what season. Joe Morrow wouldn't impact this penguin team, nor the one set for the play-offs. we'll stay tune.

I´d rather see Morrow scratched than playing, I will stick to this until I see something from Morrow different than the past 2 years with the Stars. There is no logic assuming Morrow will be a completely different player like a miracle happening.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am

Getting out shot by more than 10 shots in 2 of the last 3 games doesn't look good. Especially when one of those teams was the Isles. I think getting Malkin back will fix that though. Good teams win even when they play badly. I can't really complain. Hopefully Fleury is OK. Jeffery... shoot man shoot.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am

Lesky wrote:Does Niskanen skate in quick sand was declining physically like Morrow when we traded for him?

Nope, but Roberts and Guerin were.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:11 am

Guinness wrote:
Lesky wrote:

The point is, "Dallas Fans" wanted Niskanen out of town, too. So I'm not sure why I should get all worried because they were done with Morrow.

Big difference between a player declining physically from injuries and age - than a player who was struggling with Dallas system etc.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 am

Pens have killed 28 of 35 penalties during the streak which puts them squarely at 80% In the last 10 they're killing at 80.7%. Still much better than earlier in the year but not great.

I obviously didn't run the numbers for the other 29 teams over the last 13 games (I can't seem to find anywhere that will do that without me actually having to do the legwork like I did with the Pens numbers.) but I'd guess 80% is still middle of the pack or maybe top 1/3.

*no offsetting minors or fighting majors were factored into the numbers, I don't know how the NHL does it but I didn't include those.

Pens as a team are sitting at 15th now in PK at 80.3% so it is surely getting better.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 am

sil wrote:
Lesky wrote:Does Niskanen skate in quick sand was declining physically like Morrow when we traded for him?

Nope, but Roberts and Guerin were.

Guerin still was a sniper of class, Morrow is a grinder, and without energy, stamina and speed I do not see him making a positive difference in that regards. I prefer Matt Cooke over Morrow.
Last edited by Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 am

I feel like Bennett is a better fit for the 2nd line and Morrow for the 3rd.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 am

Lesky wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Lesky wrote:

Big difference between a player declining physically from injuries and age - than a player who was struggling with Dallas system etc.

That may be true, but it also has nothing to do with what Dallas fans think of Morrow. You posted that thread from HF because you were trying to show that Dallas fans were done with Morrow and that PGH picked up a turkey.

Again, I really don't care what Dallas fans think of Brendan Morrow.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins