Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 am

sil vs Lesky

Round 3.

FIGHT!

:twisted:
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 am

Nizzy wrote:sil vs Lesky

Round 3.

FIGHT!

I'd like to see video of rounds 1 and 2 first. :P
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 am

I spent a good 25 minutes typing up, and color coding my post. Waited over an hour for Penspal to make the morning thread.

Lesky derails it in 15 seconds about benching morrow and posts HFB link.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 am

sil wrote:
Nizzy wrote:sil vs Lesky

Round 3.

FIGHT!

I'd like to see video of rounds 1 and 2 first. :P

ITS A SLUG FEST BRO

GOODLUCK LMAO
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 am

My thoughts:
- Morrow looks like a 4th liner which is about where he was playing on a poor Dallas team. If possible he skates slower than Glass. I'll give him time to gel but he just looks like a car with nothing left in the tank.
- If you're going to put Beau on the 4th line, you may want to give him a legit center that hustles like Vitale. Nice coaching there Dan.
- If our goal scoring trend continues, we should be negative in a couple of games.

We won 1-0 and looked pretty lifeless doing so. I almost wish the streak would end so that we would start to open up a little bit. You can really sense the team getting tighter and tighter.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 am

Guinness wrote:
Lesky wrote:
Does Niskanen skate in quick sand was declining physically like Morrow when we traded for him? in And was Niskanen banged up and coming back from major back/neck inurys? Morrow looks slow stepping off the bench and completely gassed after 10-20 seconds, exactly the same way Tangradi looked.

The point is, "Dallas Fans" wanted Niskanen out of town, too. So I'm not sure why I should get all worried because they were done with Morrow.

ETA: And comparing Morrow to Tangradi is really not a good idea if you're trying to convince everyone that Morrow was a bad pick up.

I was not comparing them as players, I was comparing their lack of physical fitness to thrive currently in the NHL other than maybe as a 4th liner.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:17 am

Craig Adams hit in the nose with a puck. Did anyone see him doing that deep breath thing you do when you get popped in the nose, I know that hurt
Eaton blocked a really big shot in the 3rd?, sorry games get hazy the next morning. Eaton knows he isnt a top tier defender, but will sell out his body.
Kennedy. Cool for fighting, but wasn't really crucial. It was his own battle that he had to finish. I hope he doesn't try to fight again for a while.

Montreal- I can't tell if the ice was bad, or if their players were diving/falling really easy. It's hard as a big fan to discern between getting tripped and diving sometimes. It does make me remember Claude Julien complaining about the relative ease that the Canadiens would fall on the ice.

Great to see the Pens keep winning "playoff" type games 2-1 1-0 etc.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am

Why open up? They're playing about as well defensively (both D and F) as we've seen in years. That shouldn't stop in favor of break-neck speed up and down the ice action.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joe icepick on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 am

Nizzy wrote:Great Team Win.

Crosby MVP of the season. The first line is flowing so well together its great to see.
Orpik I thought he played a very great game tonight. Seemed solid and was always in the right spots. Not sure what prompted the change in his game during the middle of the season. Maybe he was hurt for a big stretch of the season. He looks like such a decent player.
Letang Such a different team when hes back there. I still question his confidence on the PP, but it's not like hes making mistakes, it's kind of like he isn't being aggressive enough or something. Maybe that's a good thing right now though. There was a few times when the Pens were in the offensive zone and Letang was so deep I thought he was a 4th forward LOL GET BACK THERE TANGER.
Fleury Wow. Remember how many people wanted to run him out of town the last few years...this guy is a top 5, yes top 5 goal tender with a decent defense. This is the best defense since the 2009 Cup, and he's playing just as good. I hope he's not hurt or anything serious. I'm glad he got credit for the Win as well.
Morrow Saw a few things from his game that could fit really well for this team. I hope he can turn up the motor in the playoffs. I think he is too slow to play on the 3rd line however. I believe he should be with Geno & Neal for sure.
Jeffrey Did anyone else think he had a fairly good game last night? He's not amazing, still might be borderline NHLer, however I can't see how people think Kennedy is better than this guy. Definitely shouldn't be anywhere near the 2nd line. I think he has a decent 200 foot game for the bottom 6, however nothing really stands out.
Kennedy He's a bum. It's just so funny to me how some people don't see it at all. (Please save the stat Mikey haha)..This guy lives off a few key goals a season to string him along. I'd love to see Bennett on the 3rd line going forward and put TK on the 4th line.
Vitale I want this guy in the lineup so bad. I noticed our PK is ranked 21st, and I know Murray is brought in to help this. However how are we going to keep a guy (Adams) on the team, who is generally just for PK.
Cooke Liked how he went after Gionta, but not how he handled it. He started it the face off, didn't get the fight, starting playing hockey again, then at the end of the shift got a penalty? Just do or don't.
Sutter Has some good scoring chances tonight. Get Kennedy off his line and give him Bennett, someone that can at least make some passes.

Therrien Glad the fans gave him props during pre-game, it was really nice to see. I give him so much credit for basically 'kick-starting' the franchise again. He gets a ton of credit in my book, I really liked his no non-sense coaching style, especially with the defensive side of the game.
Gionta What a joke, haha. I don't mind him not fighting Cooke, but then don't act tough and talk while you're backing up. He knew what he was doing tripping Kennedy. OH well, like I said, he's a joke.
Armstrong Noticed him flopping around the ice a few times. Not blatant diving or anything, just Colby Armstrong being Colby Armstrong.
Subban He got checked on an average check, flipped his body/head downward, and put the blade of his skate a good 5 ft off the ice. This guy is going to slice someone again. No regard for where his skates are at on the ice. Very wreckless. It will not surprise me to hear that this guy cuts another 1-2 players in his career.

Nice work!
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe icepick on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:22 am

Stevens25 wrote:Craig Adams hit in the nose with a puck. Did anyone see him doing that deep breath thing you do when you get popped in the nose, I know that hurt
Eaton blocked a really big shot in the 3rd?, sorry games get hazy the next morning. Eaton knows he isnt a top tier defender, but will sell out his body.
Kennedy. Cool for fighting, but wasn't really crucial. It was his own battle that he had to finish. I hope he doesn't try to fight again for a while.

Montreal- I can't tell if the ice was bad, or if their players were diving/falling really easy. It's hard as a big fan to discern between getting tripped and diving sometimes. It does make me remember Claude Julien complaining about the relative ease that the Canadiens would fall on the ice.

Great to see the Pens keep winning "playoff" type games 2-1 1-0 etc.

It's called home ice advantage.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Nizzy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:My thoughts:
- Morrow looks like a 4th liner which is about where he was playing on a poor Dallas team. If possible he skates slower than Glass. I'll give him time to gel but he just looks like a car with nothing left in the tank.
- If you're going to put Beau on the 4th line, you may want to give him a legit center that hustles like Vitale. Nice coaching there Dan.
- If our goal scoring trend continues, we should be negative in a couple of games.

We won 1-0 and looked pretty lifeless doing so. I almost wish the streak would end so that we would start to open up a little bit. You can really sense the team getting tighter and tighter.

I really like and agree with this point
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:23 am

Kennedy is actually pretty good at fighting for guys his size. He generally holds his own. I have no problems at all with him dropping the gloves.

We found a way to win against a pretty good Montreal team. We got a shutout. Yeah, we only scored one, but some nights that's all you get. We only needed one.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 am

- I think Flower has a neck strain, I'm sure they pulled him just to be safe. He'll probably miss a start. This is why they got Vokoun.
- I liked what I saw from Morrow, it will take a few games to get his feet wet. Props to Shero getting him early.
- Letang looked sharp.
- Sutter seemed more energized, each game I see an improvement over the next.
- Adams next to wear a visor? Probably not.
- Boring win, but a win nonetheless.
- Looking forward to Douggie and Geno on Thursday.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joe icepick on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 am

Does anyone have a list of are pro scouts?
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 am

joe icepick wrote:Does anyone have a list of are pro scouts?

Kevin Stevens, Kevin Stevens, Kevin Stevens, a hotel room, a lady of the night, illicit substances, Keven Stevens!!!
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 am

I would have killed for a discipline, boring game last april against the fly boys.
this team is learning habits that will help them in the play-offs.

Mr. 71 Evgeni will be the player named later ;) to arrive that will open up the ice.

2nd period, Sutter had one of those sweet moves to the net.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 am

Respect the Kevin
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 am

I'm so sick and tired of core players getting injured.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 am

joe icepick wrote:Does anyone have a list of are pro scouts?

if serious, they use to be listed in the media guide. I remember last year Don Waddell was hired to the scouting area..
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joe icepick on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am

I'll give Morrow a few games to settle in, but I'm a little worried about him. How can scouts miss this? That's all I'm saying for now.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:58 am

Habs dominated. MT game plan was brilliant. They had all the Pens outlet men marked up and killed rushes before they even started. Result was Mtl on the rush most of the game. That's the blueprint for slowing the Pens. We'll see if anyone else can do it.

Most of the Pens had fumblitis.

Morrow was a non-factor. Doesn't help that he and Neal don't have a playmaking center, but whatevs.

Cooke was awful.

MAF and Koundog were stellar.

Subban is such a bake.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joe icepick on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 am

Seen a tweet where Bortuzzo was cleaning out his locker. Trade?
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:09 am

I don't get the morrow hate after one game.

I thought last night he looked like a player that had played in one organization for years and now was trying to learn a brand new system on the fly in a playoff type game. He didn't make any major mistakes which was good.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby nocera on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:09 am

Not sure if this has been posted, but as I was checking out the standings this morning, I noticed something crazy.

With their 13th win, The Pens have now won the same amount of games during the streak as Buffalo, Philadelphia, Columbus and Phoenix have won the entire year.

Also, the Pens have more wins during the streak than Floriday (9), Edmonton (12), Calgary (12) and Colorado (11) have.

That's nuts.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I feel like Bennett is a better fit for the 2nd line and Morrow for the 3rd.

I agree with the Nutz on this one. When Bennett came in, they gave him 3rd line minutes to acclimatize to the speed of the NHL. I think Morrow should play 3rd line until he gets used to the Pens systems. Morrow will find his legs, grasp the systems and get time with line #2 when he's ready.

Morrow had 2-3 nice support plays on the wall and jumped in when his linemate was getting shoved around. Morrow looked slow, he is slow, but he noted post game that it he'll have more energy next game (travel, emotion, interviews, etc).

Interesting to watch his former GM (Nieuwendyk) talk about the trade (NHL.COM) and that "personal demons" were mentioned for Morrow early in the year. Personal :evil: :twisted: ???

And please stop with the comparisons of any kind between Morrow and Trainwreckgradi.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins