Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 am

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 45m #TribHKY >> Letang said he had to stay back more last night because of his injury, but he did not say injury was aggravated or cite new one.

:thumb:

Bortozzo, WBS ? maybe or moving for the Murray dude.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 am

penny lane wrote:
Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib 45m #TribHKY >> Letang said he had to stay back more last night because of his injury, but he did not say injury was aggravated or cite new one.

:thumb:

Bortozzo, WBS ? maybe or moving for the Murray dude.

Bortuzzo would have to clear, I believe? I hope he's not on his way out of town...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 am

So he didn't break his toe??

Is somebody on toe watch?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:22 am

darkstar57 wrote:I don't get the morrow hate after one game.

I thought last night he looked like a player that had played in one organization for years and now was trying to learn a brand new system on the fly in a playoff type game. He didn't make any major mistakes which was good.

I wouldn't call it "hate", but is obvious that there are a few who don't like the trade because we traded a sure-thing Bobby Orr, have carved out a baseless judgement that Morrow is washed up (unless you count Message Board geniuses in Dallas as astute judges of talent) and will now look for every opportunity to find fault in him.

He played fine. He certainly didn't look physically shot when he dropped Subban. Morrow playing with Malkin and Neal will give him the half second more he needs to get to the net area and create mismatches. If anyone thinks Beau Bennett is better around the net than Morrow at this point in their careers, I just don't know what to say.

Morrow was brought here to play from 10 feet and in around the opponent's goal and in the corners.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:23 am

nocera wrote:So he didn't break his toe??

Is somebody on toe watch?

TSN says he broke his toe.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 am

Toes are overrated.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am

If Crosby can play with a broken foot, Letang can play with a broken toe.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby abwvu1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:28 am

Real Deal has not scored a goal in the past 8 games.

Man we need Geno back.

Now I'm hearing Letang has a broken toe?

The injury bug keeps biting the Pens backside.

Please hurry back MAF. He better not be concussed.

Pens will be coasting to the #1/#2 playoff spot but the letdown is imminent

Give Morrow a few games before he is anointed a legit bust.

Looking forward to see Douglas Murray lay the lumber on ice.
abwvu1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:32 am

Penspal wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
And please stop with the comparisons of any kind between Morrow and Trainwreckgradi.

Whats wrong with saying both looks gassed and dead slow on most occasions? Thats not saying Morrows career is comparable to Tangradi, but their current physical attributes are. I hope Morrows leadership skills and veteran presence in the room are top notch.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 am

We have 3 years of tangradi to evaluate. We have 3 periods with Morrow. 3 periods playing with Dustin Jeffrey after having a very exhausting and mentally taxing couple of days.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 am

Froggy wrote:We have 3 years of tangradi to evaluate. We have 3 periods with Morrow. 3 periods playing with Dustin Jeffrey after having a very exhausting and mentally taxing couple of days.

Tangradi never had a chance to play with Jeffrey so your statement is bogus :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:42 am

He could have scored even fewer goals?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 am

Lesky wrote:
Penspal wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
And please stop with the comparisons of any kind between Morrow and Trainwreckgradi.

Whats wrong with saying both looks gassed and dead slow on most occasions? Thats not saying Morrows career is comparable to Tangradi, but their current physical attributes are. I hope Morrows leadership skills and veteran presence in the room are top notch.

What's wrong is that you have to take his veteran status and game experience into account and then also be able to tell the difference between somebody who can make a play and somebody who can't. Morrow has 6 goals and 5 assists this year in 29 games.

Disappointing stats for sure but he was playing in Dallas who may have the worst group of centers in the West. Benn is miscast as a Center, Roy is only slightly above average, Fiddler is a mucker and Vincour is trying to stick in the league. Tangradi has 1 goal and 1 assist in 27 games this year.

Comparing Tangradi to anyone is just laughable. He is a complete waste of a sweater. It is kind of a reach to use that analogy to justify your dislike of the trade.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 am

Froggy wrote:Kennedy is actually pretty good at fighting for guys his size. He generally holds his own. I have no problems at all with him dropping the gloves.

yeah, pound-for-pound, he's above average as a fighter. he even took on luke schenn a few years ago - who is twice his size. he didn't win that fight, but it was a good effort none the less. same with matt martin.
Spoiler:

shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 am

joe icepick wrote:Does anyone have a list of are pro scouts?

Code: Select all
Dan MacKinnon Director of Player Personnel
Jay Heinbuck Director of Amateur Scouting
Randy Sexton Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting
Derek Clancey Director of Professional Scouting
Andre Savard Professional Scout
Don Waddell Professional Scout
Patrik Allvin Head European Scout
Scott Bell Amateur Scout
Luc Gauthier Amateur Scout
Wayne Meier Amateur Scout
Ron Pyette Amateur Scout
Chris DePiero Amateur Scout
Brian Fitzgerald Amateur Scout
Al Santilli Amateur Scout
Tommy Westlund Amateur Scout
Warren Young Amateur Scout
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 pm

sil wrote:
Lesky wrote:most Stars fans believe...

Better to trust Penguins fans who have barely seen him play the last 2 years?

Most seem to give the trade OK only BECAUSE Shero made it, like he is some kind of god. Since Shero triggered it, Morrow will turn from dust to gold.

I think people who have not watched at least 15-20 Stars games from this season and last should not comment because Morrow has been that bad. I have never voiced my opinion on a trade this strong earlier, when I saw Morrow to Pens I could not believe it. Are the Pens scouting on drugs or is it Shero that is sure that Morrow will become a new player with the Pens? Basicly we traded for a guy that had been on of the worst performers the last 2 seasons by his salary in the league.

The Stars board elite posters thought Morrow was done, I do not see these elite posters to know less about hockey than some of the "elite" posters on this board. Many people here assume Pens fans know hockey better than Stars fans, which I find odd.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Lesky wrote:
sil wrote:

Most seem to give the trade OK only BECAUSE Shero made it, like he is some kind of god. Since Shero triggered it, Morrow will turn from dust to gold.

I think people who have not watched at least 15-20 Stars games from this season and last should not comment because Morrow has been that bad. I have never voiced my opinion on a trade this strong earlier, when I saw Morrow to Pens I could not believe it. Are the Pens scouting on drugs or is it Shero that is sure that Morrow will become a new player with the Pens? Basicly we traded for a guy that had been on of the worst performers the last 2 seasons by his salary in the league.

The Stars board elite posters thought Morrow was done, I do not see these elite posters to know less about hockey than some of the "elite" posters on this board. Many people here assume Pens fans know hockey better than Stars fans, which I find odd.

You may have a point, but all I can read here is "I'm still pissed about Jagr."
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Right Lesky, because we all know fans NEVER hate players. Ever. If they hate him, it must mean that he sucks, and not that they just hate him for no reason.

Pens have a few guys like that, right?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm

- MT was impressed with how many different line combos Disco came up with last night
- I was excited to see Sid's drop pass in front of the net to Jeffery - until I realized it was Glass.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guinness on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Lesky wrote:I think people who have not watched at least 15-20 Stars games from this season and last should not comment because Morrow has been that bad. I have never voiced my opinion on a trade this strong earlier, when I saw Morrow to Pens I could not believe it. Are the Pens scouting on drugs or is it Shero that is sure that Morrow will become a new player with the Pens? Basicly we traded for a guy that had been on of the worst performers the last 2 seasons by his salary in the league.

So, Pens fans who haven't seen Morrow as much as you shouldn't comment, but professional hockey scouts are on drugs? Maybe we should up your standard for people who shouldn't comment from "people who haven't watched the last 15-20 Stars games" to, "people who aren't pro scouts", hmm?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:25 pm

****, I didn't even notice that part.

You're going to take the opinion of whiny fans on HFBoards over the opinion of people paid to judge hockey talent?

I... just... :face:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

MRandall25 wrote:****, I didn't even notice that part.

You're going to take the opinion of whiny fans on HFBoards over the opinion of people paid to judge hockey talent?

I... just... :face:

For my part, I'm not even saying that Morrow isn't going to be a bust... I'm just baffled by Lesky's logic. I'm thinking he's still screwed up from #JagrWatch... and it can't help that Jagr plays for the Stars.

My take on this trade from the beginning has been that Shero ID'd an area of need, assessed the market, assessed his assets, and took a gamble in an effort to make his team even more competitive in a year where they look like a legit contender. One thing we definitely know, none of us have access to the negotiations Shero was working. I'm not going to pick apart this deal, even if it turns out to be something of a turkey, because I like the moxy.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Fast B wrote:
Lesky wrote:
sil wrote:

You may have a point, but all I can read here is "I'm still pissed about Jagr."

Pissed about Jagr what?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Guinness wrote:
Lesky wrote:I think people who have not watched at least 15-20 Stars games from this season and last should not comment because Morrow has been that bad. I have never voiced my opinion on a trade this strong earlier, when I saw Morrow to Pens I could not believe it. Are the Pens scouting on drugs or is it Shero that is sure that Morrow will become a new player with the Pens? Basicly we traded for a guy that had been on of the worst performers the last 2 seasons by his salary in the league.

So, Pens fans who haven't seen Morrow as much as you shouldn't comment, but professional hockey scouts are on drugs? Maybe we should up your standard for people who shouldn't comment from "people who haven't watched the last 15-20 Stars games" to, "people who aren't pro scouts", hmm?

Hello your greatness.

I stand by my statement that I do not care what Penguins fans that have not seen Morrow play says.

Lets just wait until Morrows officially a bust and see how impressed you are with the Pens scouting in this case.

The scouting can be wrong. Dallas fans can be wrong. But why would Dallas fans turn on their back on Morrow who is a 13 year with the team captain for no valid reason?

Are you even sure Pens scouts have been impressed by Morrow? Are you sure they/Shero is not expecting a new Guerin?

Guerin looked spent and then made a miracle turnaround with the Pens. Shero desperate looking for the same thing again?

Guerin brought more speed and sniper skills compared to Morrow though.
---
If Morrow sucks with the Pens as he did the last 2 years at Dallas, will you still will OK the Pens scouting in this case? To me it seems that way. We are complete opposites.
Last edited by Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:48 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Right Lesky, because we all know fans NEVER hate players. Ever. If they hate him, it must mean that he sucks, and not that they just hate him for no reason.

Pens have a few guys like that, right?

But why would Dallas fans turn their back on Morrow who is a 13 year with the team captain for no valid reason? I just don´t see it happening if Morrow was not indeed terrible.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins