Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 34 vs Habs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Why are you even looking at HFBoards as a source of info on whether or not a player is good?

In terms of hockey talk, HFBoards makes LGP look like a Mensa convention.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:- MT was impressed with how many different line combos Disco came up with last night

Idoit40fans likes this
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NeddieVedder on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Why are you even looking at HFBoards as a source of info on whether or not a player is good?

In terms of hockey talk, HFBoards makes LGP look like a Mensa convention.

play all the rookies, trade all the 30-year-olds for picks. prospects, prospects, o ye unblemished angels of the minors.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Why did Sid say fu** 5 times to Gionta prior to the start of the 3rd period?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Because Sid has a serious potty-mouth problem.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:40 pm

sil wrote:Because Sid has a serious potty-mouth problem.

This would be a good place to insert the Stevens/Trottier clip of them heckling Bellows. But family board...
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Lesky wrote:Why did Sid say fu** 5 times to Gionta prior to the start of the 3rd period?

Probably letting Gionta know he wasn't happy that he was involved in in the play that caused Fleury to get knocked out of the game.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Morrow and Guerin were brought in for some similar reasons, and some not so similar reasons. Morrow doesn't need 'sniper skills' because the Pens score plenty of goals. He was brought in to obviously be the 2nd line Kunitz, and if that doesnt work, he'll be an upgrade to the third line. As long as he forechecks hard, plays the body, and stands infront of the net I'll be happy. Geno and Neal were having fine years with a revolving door for the 3rd partner. Going out with someone who can legitimately create space for them and can fish a puck out of the corner from time to time is going to help even more. Thats all Morrow needs to do.

None of us know for sure, but the guy is a 13 year vet who hasn't won a Championship. You have to think that he's going to be grabbing every last ounce of gas in the tank this post season and I for one think it will be enough to make a meaningful impact.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Lesky wrote:Why did Sid say fu** 5 times to Gionta prior to the start of the 3rd period?

Probably letting Gionta know he wasn't happy that he was involved in in the play that caused Fleury to get knocked out of the game.

Ah, well that made sense! Good on Sid.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Mike Colligan just put up an article on Morrow. Would link, but I'm on my phone. Very good insight into Morrow. He hasn't had this opportunity in a while, and he appears ready to give it everything.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 pm

I don't know. Maybe it's a language barrier or something. I give up.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ad@m on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Mike Colligan just put up an article on Morrow. Would link, but I'm on my phone. Very good insight into Morrow. He hasn't had this opportunity in a while, and he appears ready to give it everything.

You can't link it from your phone?
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Ad@m wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Mike Colligan just put up an article on Morrow. Would link, but I'm on my phone. Very good insight into Morrow. He hasn't had this opportunity in a while, and he appears ready to give it everything.

Read: I'm too lazy to attempt it :slug:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Cr@zy871 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm

This may have been mentioned earlier, but there are also some intangibles that Morrow is bringing to the table... I believe that the Pens brass is hoping that his desire to win a Cup is going to keep the team hungry during the playoffs. They want to use Morrow to rally off of. Win a Cup for a Warrior so he can ride off into the sunset...

Similar to how the Steelers rallied behind the Bus during their Super Bowl XL run, or more recently (this pains me to type) the Ravens behind Ray Ray
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:36 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Ad@m wrote:

Read: I'm too lazy to attempt it :slug:

http://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-ac ... en-morrow/
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:39 pm

You are a true gentleman and a scholar.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:32 pm

As a stars fan, Lesky really needs to stop generalizing stars fans.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:36 pm

The Colligan article is a good read.

Morrow will make his impact in the playoffs. I have a feeling he's going to have fairly unimpressive goal and assist numbers the rest of the regular season and that's going to irritate a segment of the fanbase. He's not here for that. It's a bonus if he does improve the offensive depth even more. Where they expect him to make a true impact is in the Gary Roberts way. That's something this team has been missing and hopefully he can add that. This isn't the video game acquisition like Iginla would be.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Nizzy wrote:Therrien Glad the fans gave him props during pre-game, it was really nice to see. I give him so much credit for basically 'kick-starting' the franchise again. He gets a ton of credit in my book, I really liked his no non-sense coaching style, especially with the defensive side of the game.

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but the Pens gave Therrien an in-game tribute video that at the end included the “pretend to care” excerpt from the famous “dey soff” post-game rant. I thought the video was awesome. :thumb:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Shyster wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Therrien Glad the fans gave him props during pre-game, it was really nice to see. I give him so much credit for basically 'kick-starting' the franchise again. He gets a ton of credit in my book, I really liked his no non-sense coaching style, especially with the defensive side of the game.

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but the Pens gave Therrien an in-game tribute video that at the end included the “pretend to care” excerpt from the famous “dey soff” post-game rant. I thought the video was awesome. :thumb:

that's awesome. I'm glad he's finding success in Montreal.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The Colligan article is a good read.

Morrow will make his impact in the playoffs. I have a feeling he's going to have fairly unimpressive goal and assist numbers the rest of the regular season and that's going to irritate a segment of the fanbase. He's not here for that. It's a bonus if he does improve the offensive depth even more. Where they expect him to make a true impact is in the Gary Roberts way. That's something this team has been missing and hopefully he can add that. This isn't the video game acquisition like Iginla would be.

:thumb: For all of the love that Gary Roberts gets, look at his total stats with the pens: 57 games played, 10 goals and 18 assists. I think Morrow has that kind of production still left in him, in addition to the other things he will bring to the team come playoff time.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Shyster wrote:

:thumb: Frankly, that IS awesome. I only heard about the video tribute from Steigy/Errey while watching it last night so I didn't get to see it, but I'm glad they included at least a part of that epic rant that ended Country Club Pittsburgh and a lot of suckitude.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:39 pm

The Colligan article has this video:

Which shows that Morrow can bring more than something on the scoresheet. (Yes, it was five years ago, but c'mon.)
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:01 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:The Colligan article is a good read.

:thumb: For all of the love that Gary Roberts gets, look at his total stats with the pens: 57 games played, 10 goals and 18 assists. I think Morrow has that kind of production still left in him, in addition to the other things he will bring to the team come playoff time.

Roberts impact went way beyond his stat line. I expect Morrow will be a similar case.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lesky on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 am

JoseCuervo wrote:As a stars fan, Lesky really needs to stop generalizing stars fans.

So by saying most Stars fans I was generalizing and wrong? You think the majority of the Stars fans think Morrows been worth his salary the last 2 years?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins