Iginla traded to Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:35 am

Tico Rick wrote:
HockeyBurgh wrote:Have to think TK will be gone, saving 2 mil and as much as I hate to say it, the Pens might want to consider buying out Orpik and saving that 3.5 as well. I love Brooks but business is business.

Yeah, i think Orpik may be the odd man out, or they could staal Letang over the summer.

I really disagree on the Orpik front. Shero hasn't really been the kind of "business is business" GM, and after Orpik gave up much less to play for the pens last time he was a free agent, I doubt that they let him go without trying to keep him. 3.5mil has been a very good price for a top 4 defenseman. I believe there is a very good chance that Orpik will end his career with Pittsburgh.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 am

sil wrote:Personally, with our current makeup and D prospects, I'd prefer to trade Niskanen in the offseason and re-sign Murray to a 2-year $4,000,000 deal.

:thumb:
Glass,TK,Niskanen gone..

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Iginla
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett
UFA 800k- Vitale - Jeffrey
Adams

Letang - Murray
Orpik - Martin
Despres - Bortuzzo
Engo

MAF,Vokoun
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:34 pm

I think most of it depends on what Letang wants. If he wants too much, he may be gone by draft time.

Also depends on how Malkin's contract plays out. I would think similar to Crosby like last time, but we can only go 8 years on his contract so that changes things.

I wonder what will pan out with Murray and Morrow. Depends on how they play, but I wonder if there will be any extensions there.

Other wingers we may sign will impact Dupuis as well. He may want to take a pay cut to stay, but what if he is slotted in as a 4th line forward because we have better options (Iginla) up top? May change his mind a bit.

Iginla needs a pay cut to stay, so we will see how that pans out.

Niskanen has been a pretty big bargain and proven his worth I think...so it depends on a lot of other factors whether you trade him or not

I do not want to see Orpik go because I like him, but I think he would be more likely trade bait than a buyout.

Too many question marks right now to predict. I guess you start with opening up talks with Iginla, Letang, Malkin and see what they are thinking. Those 3 will answer a lot of your other questions. Letang wants 7? Trade. Iginla wants 7? Thanks for the fun few games. Malkin you pay what he wants....interesting though if he gets moody and demands max. Doubt it, but what happens then!?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HockeyBurgh on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:03 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:
HockeyBurgh wrote:Have to think TK will be gone, saving 2 mil and as much as I hate to say it, the Pens might want to consider buying out Orpik and saving that 3.5 as well. I love Brooks but business is business.

Yeah, i think Orpik may be the odd man out, or they could staal Letang over the summer.

I really disagree on the Orpik front. Shero hasn't really been the kind of "business is business" GM, and after Orpik gave up much less to play for the pens last time he was a free agent, I doubt that they let him go without trying to keep him. 3.5mil has been a very good price for a top 4 defenseman. I believe there is a very good chance that Orpik will end his career with Pittsburgh.

His play has just suffered so much this season and he wasnt exactly spectacular last year as well. Like I said, I love the guy, but he has played a rough style for a good number of years.... cant pay 3.75 for a D-man who is not playing well. With the guys we need to re-sign, mainly 58 and 9, that money would go a long way when combined with TK being off the books.

Shero has actually shown to make tough decisions when needed... He didnt offer Malone a deal even though he was a local fan favorite. I know Ray appreciates, as we all do, Brooks' contributions over the years but its not worth losing Letang over. Just my two cents.
HockeyBurgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins