Iginla traded to Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Staggy wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread about this but does anybody know how long it usually takes the Pens to get a new player's apparel up on their web store? I'm looking forward to buying an Iginla shirt.

I'd like to know this too, mostly because I have an NHL.com shop gift card and live in Virginia where I can't go out to the store haha

Make a weekend trip to Pittsburgh :slug: :P
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:
Staggy wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread about this but does anybody know how long it usually takes the Pens to get a new player's apparel up on their web store? I'm looking forward to buying an Iginla shirt.

I'd like to know this too, mostly because I have an NHL.com shop gift card and live in Virginia where I can't go out to the store haha

Make a weekend trip to Pittsburgh :slug: :P

I'll be back in May for the playoffs but in the meantime I'd like get one here to rub it in my roommate (from Boston)'s face as well as all the Caps fans around :lol:
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Pens sold out of all the Iggy jerseys they had prior to Saturday's game. It seems they are selling them as fast as they can letter them.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm

I don't know how it works cap wise... but if Iginla does sign on here beyond this year, a jersey is most definitely in order.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Eismann wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:Per @RenLavoieRDS, Iginla would like to sign an extension with the Penguins. If a deal can't be reached, the Kings could pursue in summer.

Don't go sweet talking to me in French or English unless you mean it, Renaud.

He'll start talking in, like, Paris talk or whatever.

Don't they all...?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Anyone have any clue what hey may be looking for $$$ wise. Shero like the 2 year veteran deal, but this is Iginla...go longer on term, get a lower cap hit? Not sure what that means for other UFA's we have though.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 pm

As crazy as it sounds, it's not out of the question. 2-3 years @ $5M per isn't out of the question for Iginla given his age and situation. Obviously you're not going to get all three of Iginla, Cooke, and Dupuis, and if you chase Iginla, and you're grooming Bennett, then Duper is probably the odd man out, unless he takes the same as his current salary (which ain't gonna happen).

Also throwing in resigning Cooke and Murray just to fill things out. If you go after Eaton (or someone similar) and let Murray go, obviously that's all the more cap space.

Kunitz ($3,725,000) | Crosby ($8,700,000) | Iginla ($5,000,000)
Bennett ($900,000) | Malkin ($8,700,000) | Neal ($5,000,000)
Cooke ($2,000,000) | Sutter ($2,066,667) | RW ($1,500,000)
Glass ($1,100,000) | Vitale ($550,000) | Adams-esque RW ($700,000)
xF ($650,000)

Orpik ($3,750,000) | Martin ($5,000,000)
Despres ($840,000) | Letang ($3,500,000)
Niskanen ($2,300,000) | Murray ($2,000,000)
Engellend or ($566,667)

Fleury ($5,000,000)
Vokoun ($2,000,000)

That's a total of $64,048,000, or $251,666 under the cap.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:16 pm

JeffDFD wrote:Anyone have any clue what hey may be looking for $$$ wise. Shero like the 2 year veteran deal, but this is Iginla...go longer on term, get a lower cap hit? Not sure what that means for other UFA's we have though.

I honestly think Iggy can/will be had for about $5,000,000/year on a 3-year deal.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Wondering though...if Shero goes 3 years with Iginla, maybe we get a 5.25, 4.25, 4 deal or something to squeeze out some more cap space. He seems like a guy who wants to win like Crosby as well...so maybe he is willing to take even less. It is just he is making 7 this year...so maybe not - and I don't want to get into the "hometown discount" for everyone who take 2-3 million less to play here. Just seems more likely a guy like Iginla would do it then other UFA's
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 pm

I'd let Iginla name me a price. If he's already talking a contract extension, he's pretty much acknowledging a pay cut. How much remains to be seen.

If he takes a similar pay cut to what Guerin took ($4.5 to $2.0), he'd be making $3.11 mil (I ran a proportion: 2/4.5 = X/7). $3.1 mil isn't that bad of a hit if looked at in a vacuum, but in terms of next year, ehhhh. It's also not very realistic to expect him to take that big of a pay cut now that I think about it...

If Shero can make it work while still retaining some of our FA's (Dupuis specifically), I'll be all for it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcmforless on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:29 pm

sil wrote:As crazy as it sounds, it's not out of the question. 2-3 years @ $5M per isn't out of the question for Iginla given his age and situation. Obviously you're not going to get all three of Iginla, Cooke, and Dupuis, and if you chase Iginla, and you're grooming Bennett, then Duper is probably the odd man out, unless he takes the same as his current salary (which ain't gonna happen).

Also throwing in resigning Cooke and Murray just to fill things out. If you go after Eaton (or someone similar) and let Murray go, obviously that's all the more cap space.

Kunitz ($3,725,000) | Crosby ($8,700,000) | Iginla ($5,000,000)
Bennett ($900,000) | Malkin ($8,700,000) | Neal ($5,000,000)
Cooke ($2,000,000) | Sutter ($2,066,667) | RW ($1,500,000)
Glass ($1,100,000) | Vitale ($550,000) | Adams-esque RW ($700,000)
xF ($650,000)

Orpik ($3,750,000) | Martin ($5,000,000)
Despres ($840,000) | Letang ($3,500,000)
Niskanen ($2,300,000) | Murray ($2,000,000)
Engellend or ($566,667)

Fleury ($5,000,000)
Vokoun ($2,000,000)

That's a total of $64,048,000, or $251,666 under the cap.

I did a similar rundown the other day, but I cut off Murray and his 2 MIL (lot of money for 5/6) and put Bortuzzo in there for a savings. Hopefully could then get Dupuis in at 1.5 to 2.0 mil (think he would stay at 2 mil)

After next year I let Letang go as I think he will want big money so I can make sure to resign Malkin and a few others.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 pm

you have to think TK and his 2 million...something has to free up there. I love the guys work effort...but 2 million is up there for what he brings.

Other UFA's to either replace or re-sign:

Iginla
Morrow
Kennedy (r)
Cooke
Dupuis
Adams
Jeffrey (r)
Murray
Eaton
Bortuzzo (r)

If capgeek is right...looks like we have 11.5 mill to get that done. Not going to be easy.

Give everyone a million and Iginal 1.5? haha
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:35 pm

All i know is the Pens have enough moving parts and two buyouts to manipulate the cap however they see fit. Can they sign everyone? No, of course not. But can they sign who they want? Yeah, you bet.

And if Iginla wants to be here long term, it will happen. You simply don't say no to a talent like that who wants to take a pay cut and be a part of this.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:36 pm

The thing is, though, who do you buy out, and how do you replace him?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Also, if the news has already reached our ears that he wants to negotiate to stay here, then you bet Shero and him have already talked extension.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The thing is, though, who do you buy out, and how do you replace him?

Yeah, it's a good question. I really don't have the answer to that.

I really do think Duper, Cooke and Kennedy are on their last runs as Pens though...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Also think... for some reason that Letang might be the odd guy out for some reason.

Why i say this is the Pens are gonna hand Geno a blank check. What he does with said check is gonna determine an awful lot.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 pm

I dunno how things will shake out, but I imagine priority number 1 is extending Malkin. From there, priority number 2 is Letang. If they can't reach an agreement, almost certain he gets Staaled. After that, they will know what they have to work with going forward.

I'm not sure how they'll fit him, but if Shero finds a way to get Iggy signed, I am all for it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Bioshock wrote:Also think... for some reason that Letang might be the odd guy out for some reason.

Why i say this is the Pens are gonna hand Geno a blank check. What he does with said check is gonna determine an awful lot.

Max years we can go now is 8 isnt it? I still think he is on board with what Crosby did...signs a similar deal.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:47 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Also think... for some reason that Letang might be the odd guy out for some reason.

Max years we can go now is 8 isnt it? I still think he is on board with what Crosby did...signs a similar deal.

I feel the same way. I would be SHOCKED if Geno demanded cap max or something goofy above Sid's contract. But... you never know.

What will be interesting is if Shero signs Iginla before July 1st. Then you would have to assume Shero knows something behind the scenes in regards to Malkin's and Letang's demands.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 pm

the wicked child wrote:I dunno how things will shake out, but I imagine priority number 1 is extending Malkin. From there, priority number 2 is Letang. If they can't reach an agreement, almost certain he gets Staaled. After that, they will know what they have to work with going forward.

I'm not sure how they'll fit him, but if Shero finds a way to get Iggy signed, I am all for it.

I am surprised so many people feel this way about Letang. I get it the finances of it...but who is anchoring your D moving forward? You have a bunch of youngin's and we have seen how limited they are playing them now. We got some other guys who aren't getting any younger. Paul Martin is having a good year but isn't signed for forever. We all realized what we missed with Gonchar gone at least until Martin turned it around.

I suppose it really comes down to if he wants to maximize his wallet or take the Crosby attitude.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I dunno how things will shake out, but I imagine priority number 1 is extending Malkin. From there, priority number 2 is Letang. If they can't reach an agreement, almost certain he gets Staaled. After that, they will know what they have to work with going forward.

I am surprised so many people feel this way about Letang. I get it the finances of it...but who is anchoring your D moving forward? You have a bunch of youngin's and we have seen how limited they are playing them now. We got some other guys who aren't getting any younger. Paul Martin is having a good year but isn't signed for forever. We all realized what we missed with Gonchar gone at least until Martin turned it around.

I suppose it really comes down to if he wants to maximize his wallet or take the Crosby attitude.

Why does limited PT now mean a guy like Despres can't, in the future, play a similar role to Letang?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:59 pm

JeffDFD wrote:

I should note that I really hope they can re-sign Letang. I agree that there is no one ready to take his place. However, we also have to be realistic... if he walks in insisting on $8 million per or something, we obviously can't do it. I don't see Geno as being greedy in any way, but I doubt he'll take less than Crosby so we can assume roughly what his hit will be... no clue with Letang. If he feels like Montreal will break the bank for him, he may not be interested in re-signing here. That is worst case scenario of course... I am definitely hoping we can ink him.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:59 pm

Personally, i think Letang is irreplaceable. That's just me. And i know Pens management has Geno at the top of their list to resign at all costs before letang because those two centers are what drives the engine that is the Pittsburgh Penguins. If those two weren't here, you wouldn't have guys like Neal and Iginla here either.

You don't have that dynamic with Letang even though, at least in my opinion, from a pure hockey sense i think he's more valuable.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I'd let Iginla name me a price. If he's already talking a contract extension, he's pretty much acknowledging a pay cut. How much remains to be seen.

If he takes a similar pay cut to what Guerin took ($4.5 to $2.0), he'd be making $3.11 mil (I ran a proportion: 2/4.5 = X/7). $3.1 mil isn't that bad of a hit if looked at in a vacuum, but in terms of next year, ehhhh. It's also not very realistic to expect him to take that big of a pay cut now that I think about it...

If Shero can make it work while still retaining some of our FA's (Dupuis specifically), I'll be all for it.

I seriously doubt that Iginla is re-signing here for 3.1 (considering he is making 7 million this year) nor do I think Shero is going to offer 5 mil or over. Consider that Doan signed for 5.3 so that's about what Iginla is probably worth on the open market. Probably somewhere between 4 and 4.5 is what it would take, assuming he takes a discount to stay here with a team that has a chance at the cup for next few years.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins