Iginla traded to Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:06 pm

I don't see Letang, as a whole, as irreplaceable. His offensive game 5 on 5, yes, that is probably irreplaceable. His PP and defensive positioning ability, though? There's much better, even on this team. He leaves a lot to be desired in those areas, and that's why I'm hesitant to call him irreplaceable, especially if he asks for more than like $5.5 mil.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,889
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby pens_CT on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:11 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I dunno how things will shake out, but I imagine priority number 1 is extending Malkin. From there, priority number 2 is Letang. If they can't reach an agreement, almost certain he gets Staaled. After that, they will know what they have to work with going forward.

I'm not sure how they'll fit him, but if Shero finds a way to get Iggy signed, I am all for it.


I am surprised so many people feel this way about Letang. I get it the finances of it...but who is anchoring your D moving forward? You have a bunch of youngin's and we have seen how limited they are playing them now. We got some other guys who aren't getting any younger. Paul Martin is having a good year but isn't signed for forever. We all realized what we missed with Gonchar gone at least until Martin turned it around.

I suppose it really comes down to if he wants to maximize his wallet or take the Crosby attitude.

Even if Malkin takes 10 percent less than what Crosby is making the first 8 years of his new deal, then Malkin's cap hit is still going to be about 10 mil per season.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,544
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I dunno how things will shake out, but I imagine priority number 1 is extending Malkin. From there, priority number 2 is Letang. If they can't reach an agreement, almost certain he gets Staaled. After that, they will know what they have to work with going forward.

I'm not sure how they'll fit him, but if Shero finds a way to get Iggy signed, I am all for it.


I am surprised so many people feel this way about Letang. I get it the finances of it...but who is anchoring your D moving forward? You have a bunch of youngin's and we have seen how limited they are playing them now. We got some other guys who aren't getting any younger. Paul Martin is having a good year but isn't signed for forever. We all realized what we missed with Gonchar gone at least until Martin turned it around.

I suppose it really comes down to if he wants to maximize his wallet or take the Crosby attitude.


Why does limited PT now mean a guy like Despres can't, in the future, play a similar role to Letang?


In the future he can. If you want him to be the anchor, you have to put him in those situations and they are not willing to do that yet. You would think if they wanted him to take over, they would get him in more of those situations instead of throwing him into the fire.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,565
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 pm

Malkin will get paid and deserves every penny of it. Letang will get paid the money he deserves but it will not be coming out of Mario's pocket. I'm assuming he could make over $6.5 somewhere were he allowed to hit the market. With this cap structure, the Penguins will be delicately balancing between Malkin, Letang, good role players (4th line), Fleury, and entry-level deals from Despres, Bortuzzo, and Bennett.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,251
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby PhantomJB93 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:48 am

pens_CT wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I'd let Iginla name me a price. If he's already talking a contract extension, he's pretty much acknowledging a pay cut. How much remains to be seen.

If he takes a similar pay cut to what Guerin took ($4.5 to $2.0), he'd be making $3.11 mil (I ran a proportion: 2/4.5 = X/7). $3.1 mil isn't that bad of a hit if looked at in a vacuum, but in terms of next year, ehhhh. It's also not very realistic to expect him to take that big of a pay cut now that I think about it...

If Shero can make it work while still retaining some of our FA's (Dupuis specifically), I'll be all for it.

I seriously doubt that Iginla is re-signing here for 3.1 (considering he is making 7 million this year) nor do I think Shero is going to offer 5 mil or over. Consider that Doan signed for 5.3 so that's about what Iginla is probably worth on the open market. Probably somewhere between 4 and 4.5 is what it would take, assuming he takes a discount to stay here with a team that has a chance at the cup for next few years.


IDK, I mean I know Doan is in the same "veteran in the twilight of their career" category, but Doan has never even been close to the offensive force Iginla is. Iginla has never scored less than 30 goals since 2000, Doan's only hit 30 twice in his whole career...I think he would still command around 6 on the open market if not more. Obviously we should be able to get him for less than 7 but unless he REALLY, REALLY loves it here, I see 5 as the bare minimum.

As far as Letang goes, we'd definitely miss him at first if he were to go, but he's hardly as irreplaceable as Malkin. For all we know, by the time he leaves Despres could be able to step in with no noticeable dropoff (I know nothing's a sure thing, just saying we have options to replace him if a deal can't get done). Malkin is a once in a generation talent, I know he's not going anywhere but I'm just saying I don't think paying Letang 6+ million is an absolute must.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,442
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:03 am

pens_CT wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I'd let Iginla name me a price. If he's already talking a contract extension, he's pretty much acknowledging a pay cut. How much remains to be seen.

If he takes a similar pay cut to what Guerin took ($4.5 to $2.0), he'd be making $3.11 mil (I ran a proportion: 2/4.5 = X/7). $3.1 mil isn't that bad of a hit if looked at in a vacuum, but in terms of next year, ehhhh. It's also not very realistic to expect him to take that big of a pay cut now that I think about it...

If Shero can make it work while still retaining some of our FA's (Dupuis specifically), I'll be all for it.

I seriously doubt that Iginla is re-signing here for 3.1 (considering he is making 7 million this year) nor do I think Shero is going to offer 5 mil or over. Consider that Doan signed for 5.3 so that's about what Iginla is probably worth on the open market. Probably somewhere between 4 and 4.5 is what it would take, assuming he takes a discount to stay here with a team that has a chance at the cup for next few years.


I guess you missed the part where I said "It's not really realistic"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,889
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby neophool on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:44 am

I'm in the pay-malkin-whever-he-wants camp.

I'm also in the pay-anything-within-non-franchise-breaking-reason-to-sign-Letang camp as well.

I love Iggy, but he's the odd man out unless he signs for less then 3 million. I havn't looked over the capgeek taking into account next years reduced cap, but there's no way the Pens keep Malkin, Letang, and Iggy imo.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,364
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:36 am
Location: The Dumps

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 am

neophool wrote:I'm in the pay-malkin-whever-he-wants camp.

I'm also in the pay-anything-within-non-franchise-breaking-reason-to-sign-Letang camp as well.

I love Iggy, but he's the odd man out unless he signs for less then 3 million. I havn't looked over the capgeek taking into account next years reduced cap, but there's no way the Pens keep Malkin, Letang, and Iggy imo.


Past 2014? Probably not but Latang and Malkin will still be on their current deals next year. Lots of options between now and July 2014 which could include Martin leaving.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,531
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 am

Regardless of what the media says I'm going to consider Iginla gone until the Pens announce he's been re-signed.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,078
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Beveridge on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:18 am

If I'm Shero, and thankfully I'm not, my priorities this offseason after celebrating another cup is:

1. 8 year extension to Geno
2. Resign Iggy
3. Resign Duper


I might even have a hard time making Letang extension top 5 worthy.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,449
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Gaucho on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:03 am

Like Bobby Orr never happened.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,020
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 am

If push comes to shove, Iginla fits in great and Letang still can't play effectively on the PP, you keep Iginla due to all the drafting of defensemen the past few years.

There will be a loss but Despres, Nisky, Orpik and Martin are still a more than solid top 4 and frankly the team defense has been fine without Letang. Add in Eaton and Murray next year and maybe Dumoulin, Harringotn or Poliot have a great camp and who knows?

We shall see I guess, first step is Iginla scoring some goals. I want to see at least a point per game average from him before I throw a 3 year, $15 million deal his way.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,531
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby sil on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 am

I don't even know if it's about the team make-up as much as it is the individual. If Iginla likes it here, and wants to work out a deal to stay, Shero will make it happen. If Letang doesn't really care if it's Pittsburgh or Montreal (or if he prefers Montreal), and will only choose based on who offers more, than you can bet he won't be a penguin in 2014-15. Same goes with Malkin obviously...so let's all make sure Geno wants to stay!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 am

sil wrote:I don't even know if it's about the team make-up as much as it is the individual. If Iginla likes it here, and wants to work out a deal to stay, Shero will make it happen. If Letang doesn't really care if it's Pittsburgh or Montreal (or if he prefers Montreal), and will only choose based on who offers more, than you can bet he won't be a penguin in 2014-15. Same goes with Malkin obviously...so let's all make sure Geno wants to stay!


Not worried about Geno. He's worth as much as Sid, I doubt he looks for more and he loves Pittsburgh. Almost any other team he becomes the face and will need to do all the interviews. Only in Pittsburgh can he get away with a 10 second soundbite and that's fine. He can go back and not feel any media pressure.

Pittsburgh has been shown to be incredibly appreciative and respectful to the players off the ice. Iginla would be able to still live his life how he wants to in Pittsburgh.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,531
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby sil on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:25 am

DelPen wrote:
sil wrote:I don't even know if it's about the team make-up as much as it is the individual. If Iginla likes it here, and wants to work out a deal to stay, Shero will make it happen. If Letang doesn't really care if it's Pittsburgh or Montreal (or if he prefers Montreal), and will only choose based on who offers more, than you can bet he won't be a penguin in 2014-15. Same goes with Malkin obviously...so let's all make sure Geno wants to stay!


Not worried about Geno. He's worth as much as Sid, I doubt he looks for more and he loves Pittsburgh. Almost any other team he becomes the face and will need to do all the interviews. Only in Pittsburgh can he get away with a 10 second soundbite and that's fine. He can go back and not feel any media pressure.

Pittsburgh has been shown to be incredibly appreciative and respectful to the players off the ice. Iginla would be able to still live his life how he wants to in Pittsburgh.


Yeah, many people seem to think that Malkin wants to be here. Rossi reported it to not even be an issue at all (meaning it's a given Malkin will re-sign here), and his close ties with Malkin are about the only thing I fully trust that dolt on.

If some of the rumors out there about Iginla really wanting to stay here are true, it's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out in terms of money and term. The way I look at it, this is Iginla. This is one of the best forwards to play in the last 20 years, and one of the best all-around and most respected personalities in the game. If he wants to stay and he wants 3 or more years...you give him 3 or more years, and you make the cap structure work around it with him, Crosby, and Malkin.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,861
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:31 am

I hope Iginla wants to say that being said I want to see how he performs down the stretch run and into the playoffs before the discussion starts to bring him back for multiple years.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,028
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 am

"Iginla would like to sign an extension with the Penguins" is a pretty meaningless statement . 99.9% of players would say the same thing - even if they know they're going to test the market.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,533
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 am

I'm just going to chime in that I am very much enjoying the NOW. Iginla is the winger for Malkin and that line is going to come through for the Pens bigtime. Winning changes everything, so hopefully the Pens do go all the way, and Iggy and other's may start realizing that hometown discounts pay dividends.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,422
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:39 am

If Geno and Iginla enjoy playing together, maybe they'll both decide on discounts to stay together. That would be sweet. I love Letang, but he might be the guy the Pens need to move to help make this happen.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,193
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 am

So looking ahead to next year...

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Neal Malkin Iginla
Cooke Sutter Bennett
Glass Vitale Adams
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 am

Selanne and Kariya took $1 million a piece to play together. Maybe Iginla should talk to them. :D
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,529
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:17 pm
Location: In Yo Face

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 am

Steve Dave wrote:So looking ahead to next year...


Next year is a long time to project out...I just look forward to the next time Crosby and Malkin play a full game together.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,309
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:58 am

Gaucho wrote:Like Bobby Orr never happened.


Bobby Orr could run a powerplay
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,889
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:01 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:So looking ahead to next year...


Next year is a long time to project out...I just look forward to the next time Crosby and Malkin play a full game together.


I'm about to start the 'You're the GM' 2013 edition thread soon if nobody else does. Come on I40D, you know how things are around here. 8-)
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Iginla traded to Penguins

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 am

I don't know why people are worried about Malkin. I've already discussed it with Shero:

8 year, 71 Million = 8,875,000 per year.

It's a done deal. Just put it on capgeek already.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chefpatrick871, pensfan1989, SpinnerSpencer and 14 guests

e-mail