Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:06 am

i love that we have to debate this issue of where in the world to put Iggy but like people have said there is no way they get him to play anywhere other than the top 6.

Neal-Malkin-Morrow was good but morrow could easily go to the third line. I think either morrow moves down and Iggy goes to the second line OR Dupes goes to the third line because he plays anywhere and iggy plays with sid and koon. I dont want to break up the first line but i like Iggy better with Sid but i am sure there will be lots of line shuffling to figure this out.

I predict:

Koon-Sid-Iggy
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Dupes-Sutter-Cooke
Kennedy-Adams-Glass
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:37 am

You don't break up that top line right now. Put Iggy with Geno and Morrow on the 3rd. Place Iggy upfront on a few select times. Let things morph into where they should in time.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:45 am

Hawkeynut wrote:You don't break up that top line right now. Put Iggy with Geno and Morrow on the 3rd. Place Iggy upfront on a few select times. Let things morph into where they should in time.

How are you going to throw Neal off Malkin's line?
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:47 am

Anyone even contemplating separating Koon and Crosby should be exiled to Ecuador.

After than first goal last night, I swear ther's some kind of bionic implants in each of them that gives GPS coordinates down to the square inch.

How else do you explain a no look pass that catches everyone in the CEC off-guard EXCEPT Kunitz?

Nah, chemistry like that you don't mess with, chemistry like that comes around once every (How long has it been since 1993? 20 years?)

Iginla is a monster, but right now, he only occasionaly gets to share the ice with Crosby.

The best part? Jarome doesn't seem to mind, as long as it leads to a 'Cup!!!

I haven't had this much fun watching the Pens since the early 90's.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:57 am

thepittman wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:You don't break up that top line right now. Put Iggy with Geno and Morrow on the 3rd. Place Iggy upfront on a few select times. Let things morph into where they should in time.

How are you going to throw Neal off Malkin's line?

He said move Morrow down to the 3rd...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stevens25 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 am

Random thought. Would Kennedy work good with Morrow. He shoots 8 shots a game into the goalies gut. Morrow would be right there to clean it up?
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 am

Stevens25 wrote:Random thought. Would Kennedy work good with Morrow. He shoots 8 shots a game into the goalies gut. Morrow would be right there to clean it up?

Possibly. Problem is when Kennedy is involved there isn't much of a setup in the zone. Kennedy moves faster than Morrow and usually carries the puck into the zone and shoots...and obviously the puck moves faster than anyone. Not a lot of opportunity to clean up rebounds off those Kennedy rushes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 am

Stevens25 wrote:Random thought. Would Kennedy work good with Morrow. He shoots 8 shots a game into the goalies gut. Morrow would be right there to clean it up?

Not a horrible idea. Not sure that line would "jell" from a 'cycling standpoint' though.

edit: idoit40fans beat me to the punch by seconds :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shmenguin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 am

i don't think sutter has the chops to center a scoring line - even with iginla on his wing. 12 will be in the top 6. i thought morrow was good last night, but i don't think we're nearly at the point where it's a priority to keep him with geno. also, dupuis is either going to play with crosby or with sutter. he has no history of meshing with malkin, and while it's very possible that they could play nice together, it's not something you try to cultivate this late in the game.

basically, if you're keeping line 1 together, iginla goes to line 2, morrow goes to line 3 and kennedy probably goes to line 4. if you're breaking up line 1, iginla goes to line 1, dupuis goes to line 3 and kennedy goes to line 4. i think bennett being in the lineup is somewhat of a stretch at this point.

but hey - i didn't think we were gonna do squat at the deadline, so what do i know
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 am

This has vibes of Kariya and Selanne on the Avs.

Great line 1 is playing great. You don't think Iginla could make the same plays Dupuis does? You don't like he could find those soft spots better or use his body more effectively on the boards? I like Dupuis, you like Dupuis, he's playing great. Iginla is still >>>> than Dupuis. The only reason he's stuck on Sid's line for so long is because the Pens haven't had another guy who could play RW. Don't cloud your judgement with the "chemistry" argument. Crosby is the reason that line works, he's done it with any number of players, and he can do it with Iginla.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 am

Bylsma seemed to be saying that he's not going to touch the first line. I get that it would be cool to pair Crosby and Iginla but look again at last night how great the first line works together. There was a good article on Yahoo a couple weeks ago about all the practicing those three did during the lockout. I see no reason to toy with it. Can you really make that line any better? Malkin's line, meanwhile, has had issues all season.

I'd start with Iginla there. Move Morrow to the third line with Sutter and Cooke. There's a little difficulty there in that one of Morrow or Cooke would have to play RW but I think they could manage. Fourth line figures to be Glass, Adams, and Kennedy. I know the Glass hate is strong but they have him kill penalties and he's hitting. Adams showed last night during that 5-on-3 why he plays. You need guys like him that will sacrifice their bodies in the toughest situations. Bad season or not, Kennedy on the fourth is a luxury.

It's all a bummer for Despres and Bennett since they're getting pushed out of the lineup but what great depth to have. Injuries will open up spots for them, I'm sure.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 am

Eismann wrote:
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Iginla
Cooke-Vitale-Kennedy

Huh-HO!!!!!!

Perfect except id be tempted to put Vitale on the 3rd line. Joe V & Sutter are pretty much interchangeable though so...
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am

It's all a bummer for Despres and Bennett since they're getting pushed out of the lineup but what great depth to have. Injuries will open up spots for them, I'm sure.

These guys are young and got long NHL careers ahead of them, they can sit and wait til next season. Right now we just got to let the experienced players do theit thing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 am

shmenguin wrote:i don't think sutter has the chops to center a scoring line - even with iginla on his wing. 12 will be in the top 6. i thought morrow was good last night, but i don't think we're nearly at the point where it's a priority to keep him with geno. also, dupuis is either going to play with crosby or with sutter. he has no history of meshing with malkin, and while it's very possible that they could play nice together, it's not something you try to cultivate this late in the game.

basically, if you're keeping line 1 together, iginla goes to line 2, morrow goes to line 3 and kennedy probably goes to line 4. if you're breaking up line 1, iginla goes to line 1, dupuis goes to line 3 and kennedy goes to line 4. i think bennett being in the lineup is somewhat of a stretch at this point.

but hey - i didn't think we were gonna do squat at the deadline, so what do i know

I agree with everything you said here.

(also, you thought I was nuts for thinking Iginla was a target...not hatin', jus' saying)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 am

Henry Hank wrote:Can you really make that line any better? Malkin's line, meanwhile, has had issues all season.

This is the key to my thinking with keeping the Crosby Kunitz Dupuis line together. One line that should be elite that is elite and another line that should be elite that is not. Tinker with the latter, not the former.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 am

no name wrote:

These guys are young and got long NHL careers ahead of them, they can sit and wait til next season. Right now we just got to let the experienced players do theit thing.

On top of what you said, what they both will learn simply by watching and practicing with the talent the Pens have now will be immeasurable to their development. Anyone who thinks their growth will be stunted by not playing is goofy. Look who they now have to look up to during the playoffs!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 am

Pavel Bure wrote:This has vibes of Kariya and Selanne on the Avs.

Great line 1 is playing great. You don't think Iginla could make the same plays Dupuis does? You don't like he could find those soft spots better or use his body more effectively on the boards? I like Dupuis, you like Dupuis, he's playing great. Iginla is still >>>> than Dupuis. The only reason he's stuck on Sid's line for so long is because the Pens haven't had another guy who could play RW. Don't cloud your judgement with the "chemistry" argument. Crosby is the reason that line works, he's done it with any number of players, and he can do it with Iginla.

Iginla cannot skate like Dupuis can and that's a big reason to only using him sparingly on the #1 line. Crosby likes to generate instant offense and needs wingers who are on-board with that mentality and can also flat-out move. Iggy isn't that guy these days and Kunitz+Dupuis have shown for an extended amount of time that they can and thrive themselves.

The only other winger I have seen in a Penguin uniform not around these days that could skate with Sid and compliment his play was Hossa. Iggy has a lot of miles on him and simply doesn't have the legs. Not a knock on him at all, but he's a lot better fit elsewhere in the line up with some occasional #1 line time.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:10 am

Morrow is the odd man out for now in the top 6. But that's a good thing.

14-87-9
18-71-12
10-16-19
24-27-48

Should be fun :)
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:13 am

They should change neal's number to 17. mmmmm 12-71-17
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:38 am

If Iginla is playing on the third line Brandon Sutter must be the happiest boy in the world.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Iginla
Morrow - Sutter - Bennett
Cooke - Vitale - Adams/Glass

Three legit scoring lines, keeps first line together, Iginla in the top 6. I know no one wants Adams and Glass, but you need at least one for the PK. 4 PK guys minimum (Sutter, Cooke, Dupuis, Adams/Glass) with Sid in reserve. Also, teach Vitale to PK already. If Sid can go out just to win a faceoff, so can Joe.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PENGUINS UK on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Iginla - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Bennett
Cooke - Adams - Kennedy

Bench Jeffery, Vitale, Glass
PENGUINS UK
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby headh on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:This has vibes of Kariya and Selanne on the Avs.

could do it with Iginla = might do it with Iginla

the fact that can't be disputed is he's already centering the most productive line in hockey.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Biggest reason not to break up the first line is that Dupuis is on a 40 goal pace. Dupuis is not going to produce like a 40 goal scorer if you move him to the third line. Kunitz is on a 47 goal, 100+ point pace, well above anything he's ever done including what he did with Malkin last year. Iginla will produce, you figure, with either Crosby or Malkin. Morrow probably isn't going to put up big offensive numbers and his game still has lots of value as a third liner. The most sensible thing to do is to move Morrow to the third line. You're getting the best value out of all of your guys that way.

I just don't see the upside of replacing either Kunitz/Dupuis with Iginla. He's not likely to produce much more than either of them have been. There's a good chance that either of them would see their numbers drop on a different line.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:34 pm

I agree with most of you guys.. After another great night from 1st line,I do hope they dont break it up..
Neal - Malkin - Iginla 2nd line
Morrow - Sutter - Bennett (I wish)
Cooke - Adams - Kennedy

x - Glass, Jeffrey, Vitale
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins