Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where does Jarome Iginla fit ?

Postby sil on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Dupuis can play, and has played, LW in his career. He could certainly do it again. It's up to disco, but my preference is

Dupuis | Crosby | Iginla
Kunitz | Malkin | Neal
Morrow | Sutter | Kennedy/Cooke
Cooke/Glass | Vitale | Adams/Bennett/Jeffrey
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 pm

sil wrote:Dupuis can play, and has played, LW in his career. He could certainly do it again. It's up to disco, but my preference is

Dupuis | Crosby | Iginla
Kunitz | Malkin | Neal

:thumb:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the riddler on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams-Jeffrey-Kennedy

Vitale and Bennett can interchange with Jeffrey and Kennedy. Don't see much of a role for Glass.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 pm

The only thing that could have possibly broken up 14-87-9 is Iginla. I'd be surprised if Iginla isn't playing full time on Crosby's line by the playoffs. Maybe at first we'll see something different but the Iginla-Crosby connection seems inevitable to me. Then it's just a matter of whether to bump Kunitz or Dupuis down. Probably the best thing to do is to move Kunitz with Malkin and Morrow on the third, but I could see Morrow on the second with Dupuis on the third as well.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:The only thing that could have possibly broken up 14-87-9 is Iginla. I'd be surprised if Iginla isn't playing full time on Crosby's line by the playoffs. Maybe at first we'll see something different but the Iginla-Crosby connection seems inevitable to me. Then it's just a matter of whether to bump Kunitz or Dupuis down. Probably the best thing to do is to move Kunitz with Malkin and Morrow on the third, but I could see Morrow on the second with Dupuis on the third as well.

I think I agree with this.

Also I think Shero isn't done yet so the bottom two lines could change again.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the riddler on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm

There are plenty of options and different combinations they can do. From what it sounded like, they aren't going to touch Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis for now. But I could see Iginla playing on the RW with Crosby eventually. Not much to complain about with that top 9.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm

brwi wrote:
sil wrote:Dupuis can play, and has played, LW in his career. He could certainly do it again. It's up to disco, but my preference is

Dupuis | Crosby | Iginla
Kunitz | Malkin | Neal

:thumb:

Yeah doesn't get much better than this. To be able to reunite the best line in hockey from last season, in the same breath you break up the best line in hockey this season and you make it just as good.... wow wait.... unbelievable.
Last edited by no name on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Regardless of how the top 6 shakes out is anyone else excited to see what Morrow can do with Sutter? Sutter has always liked his shooter to be on the LW. On a lot of teams Morrow and Sutter with either Cooke, Kennedy and Bennett could be better than their 2nd lines and I'd put Morrow-Sutter and any of those three over Cooke-Staal-Kennedy in terms of overall talent.

That's the great thing about getting Iginla, it forces a trickle down across the lineup where we get Brenden Morrow on the 3rd line and Coke or Kennedy on the 4th.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:Cooke-Sutter-Morrow (very tough line to play against, and I can see them scoring some huge momentum shifting playoff type goals)

definitely tough to play against, but i still don't really see this 3rd line as having much of a scoring presence.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm

We know what we're getting with Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. Fast breakouts, strong cycling, puck possession, two real scoring threats. Who says Iginla won't make that line better than it already is? It's certainly possible.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm

columbia wrote:I want to see:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

This is what I want, as well. How can another team possibly match up against that?
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby flame on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm fine with not breaking up the first line and doing
Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Neal Malkin Iginla
Cooke Sutter Morrow
Kennedy Vitale Adams

I also was thinking what about Bennett Sutter Morrow
and Kennedy Adams Cooke as a 4th line?

Lot of possibiltiies and while Kunitz Malkin Neal was great Kunitz is having a career year with Sid. If they move someone I hope it's Dupuis
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 pm

flame wrote:I'm fine with not breaking up the first line and doing
Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Neal Malkin Iginla
Cooke Sutter Morrow
Kennedy Vitale Adams

I also was thinking what about Bennett Sutter Morrow
and Kennedy Adams Cooke as a 4th line?

Lot of possibiltiies and while Kunitz Malkin Neal was great Kunitz is having a career year with Sid. If they move someone I hope it's Dupuis

since i'm not a huge fan of cooke-sutter-morrow, i really like the kennedy-adams-cooke idea, but i think we still need the 5th penalty killing forward, unfortunately. glass probably stays.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Do you think Marrow's nickname is "Bones?"
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby smoothmoneyb on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 pm

I really don't understand people wanting to break up the best line in hockey. If it's not broken, then don't break it. Kunitz and Dupuis have been awesome this year. It's not JUST because of Crosby either. They have both played with Crosby before but neither of them have been putting up the #'s they are this year. Last time I checked, Dupuis was SECOND IN THE NHL IN ES GOALS! And as far as moving Kunitz down to the 2nd line with Malkin and Neal, I don't think that makes the most sense either. Yeah, that line was great last year. But better than the 14-87-9 line this year? I don't really think so. Do you guys realize that Kunitz, at least as of about a week ago, was on pace to set new all time personal highs for both goals and points?! AND DOING SO WHILE PLAYING JUST A LITTLE OVER HALF THE GAMES IN A REGULAR SEASON!. Please stop for a minute to take that in. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, chemistry does matter. And those three have spent more time playing together, and developing chemistry than anyone else on the team.

Right now we have the best line in hockey, and a second line with two All stars plus a revolving door of different forwards who just haven't quite worked out. We acquire a HOF winger and we don't know where to put him?! Want to break up the best line in hockey? Makes not sense. I'd much rather have two of the best, if not the very two best lines in hockey, plus an excellent third line than try to do everything possible to stack the 1st and potentially mess things up. IMO, unless Crosby is mentioning behind closed doors that he wants to play with Jarome, then I say just leave it alone. If that's what Crosby wants, than I say just give it to him. It's his team and he should be able to play with whoever he wants to play with.

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Kennedy/Bennet
Cook-Adams-Kennedy/Bennet

To me, that looks like an absolutely fantastic lineup.

Btw, I kinda really wish this thread had been a poll. Would have been very interesting to see more quantifiable results from this since so far, it seems that the board is pretty mixed on this. we could send the results to DB.. :D
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 pm

We finally get Sutter his wingers:

Morrow - Sutter - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis (The best 3rd line in hockey)
Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby smoothmoneyb on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:54 pm

Lol yeah let's get this bum Dupuis off of the first line.

While we blinked, both Kunitz and Dupuis have developed into top line wingers. I get the fact that Crosby is a huge part of that, but the point is that through the time those two have spent playing on the top line, they have pretty much developed into elite NHL'ers in their own right. I think this fan base has taken these two for granted, still having that old mentality of 'get a winger for sid'. Believe me, in years past I was of that same mindset. We were never able to buy that winger for Sid. Instead, we developed them. What I'm saying is, that because of the time they've spent on 87's line, they are better players for it. And call them late bloomers, but I truly believe that at this point, they are legit top six and could easily fit into a top six role on just about any team in the NHL. Kunitz second in points, Dupuis now leading the NHL in ES goals. Mind blowing! You don't mess with that type of magic. We're a lucky fan base!

On an unrelated note, I'm still trying to figure out who's going to get pushed out here. I think with Iggy on the second line, the first two should be set. Sutter and Morrow should be a given on the third, leaving either Cook, Kennedy or Bennet to round out the third. That should leave CFP, along with the two of those three to round out the fourth. I love Vitale, but he doesn't PK and so is easily the odd man out here. The big question then, IMO is what to do with Tanner Glass. How important do is he for the PK. Do we scratch another player of greater talent just b/c they don't penalty kill?

Sooooo... the real question is: Does anyone know if either Morrow, Murray or Iginla are capable of killing penalties if Glass ends up getting pushed out of the lineup?
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 pm

This thread is just ridiculous...haha certainly an embarrassment of riches. Good to be a fan right now. I just can't bring myself to break up Neal/Malkin (mainly because it seems Neal will not be his best without Malkin) and I can't break up Crosby/Kunitz because that is the #1 and #2 scorers in the league.

So I start thinking that means Dupuis drops for Iginla...especially because it seems Iginla came her for Crosby and they have history together, but then I am watching this game vs the Jets and just don't want to move Dupuis.

This is more of a "keep the streak alive" type move and is just fun to think about, but I am trying to figure out how we can get ourselves out of the frame of mind that 3rd line = not as good and needs to be Defense/Checkers and scoring is bonus. Roll with 3 legit "#1" scoring lines or something. If Crosby and Malkin are 1a and 1b to not hurt their feelings...then Iginla can be 1c!

One thing I wonder - does Sutter have the talent necessary for a top 6 winger like Iginla...and if not, can Morrow make up for anything Sutter lacks and can make that a more legit line. What is the potential for Morrow/Sutter/Iginla? If that line can do damage then that leaves Neal/Malkin/whoever to do their thing and keeps the first line exactly as they are. Then if someone gets into a drought or a team finds a way to stop a line...you have plenty of options to switch around with an open spot on Malkin's wing...dropping Duper to 3rd line, moving Kunitz to back to Malkin's line, Iginla Can play on top two lines, Morrow can play on any of the first 3 lines.

Too many good options. Bylsma is in line juggling heaven.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby smoothmoneyb on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 pm

JeffDFD wrote:This thread is just ridiculous...haha certainly an embarrassment of riches. Good to be a fan right now. I just can't bring myself to break up Neal/Malkin (mainly because it seems Neal will not be his best without Malkin) and I can't break up Crosby/Kunitz because that is the #1 and #2 scorers in the league.

So I start thinking that means Dupuis drops for Iginla...especially because it seems Iginla came her for Crosby and they have history together, but then I am watching this game vs the Jets and just don't want to move Dupuis.

This is more of a "keep the streak alive" type move and is just fun to think about, but I am trying to figure out how we can get ourselves out of the frame of mind that 3rd line = not as good and needs to be Defense/Checkers and scoring is bonus. Roll with 3 legit "#1" scoring lines or something. If Crosby and Malkin are 1a and 1b to not hurt their feelings...then Iginla can be 1c!

One thing I wonder - does Sutter have the talent necessary for a top 6 winger like Iginla...and if not, can Morrow make up for anything Sutter lacks and can make that a more legit line. What is the potential for Morrow/Sutter/Iginla? If that line can do damage then that leaves Neal/Malkin/whoever to do their thing and keeps the first line exactly as they are. Then if someone gets into a drought or a team finds a way to stop a line...you have plenty of options to switch around with an open spot on Malkin's wing...dropping Duper to 3rd line, moving Kunitz to back to Malkin's line, Iginla Can play on top two lines, Morrow can play on any of the first 3 lines.

Too many good options. Bylsma is in line juggling heaven.

I wonder why people keep saying that Iggy came here to play with Crosby? I mean maybe he did, but who knows? Has anyone actually heard him say this? I'm pretty sure that he came here b/c he wants to win a cup, and he came to Pitt b/c they offer him the best chance to do that right now. In his press conference, he specifically mentioned having an opportunity to play with the "two best players in the world, Crosby and Malkin". I'm pretty sure he'd be fine playing with either. But yeah, he didn't mention anything about having the opportunity to play with Sutter Lol. So no, I don't think you put him on the third line. IMO, as I've already stated, there is really only one option that makes sense. But that's just my opinion, and everyone else is obviously entitled to their own as well. Either way, it's a good problem to have!
Last edited by smoothmoneyb on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 pm

I thought Morrow played well with Malkin and Neal. This is what I think makes the most sense for the top three lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Iginla

This combination allows Iginla to be the focus when he's on the ice, and makes the Pens very difficult to defend against.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 pm

I am perplexed about who to move. I guess it's because of the streak. The way Morrow played with Malkin tonight though? Haven't seen that since Malone really. Kunitz is hybrid, but Morrow was literally camped there all night.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Loved the Morrow Malkin Neal line! Morrow taking up camp in front of the net while Malkin and Neal play keep away.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Desiato wrote:I thought Morrow played well with Malkin and Neal. This is what I think makes the most sense for the top three lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Iginla

This combination allows Iginla to be the focus when he's on the ice, and makes the Pens very difficult to defend against.

That looks sick!
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok, Iginla can't be in the 3rd line. He's the 3rd best player on the team. You demote Morrow or Dupuis. Morrow can play the grinder role very well though and Sutter loves his LW having some, skill. Add in Bennett on the RW and that's a line better than some 2nd lines.

But no, Iginla is not playing with Sutter.

#StanleyCupContenderProblems
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tybrus on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Its a bad problem to have but I have no idea how you break up the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line. I guess the easy answer is ask Dupuis to take 3rd line duties. He is a consummate pro and will do it, but man I don't like the idea.
Tybrus
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins